Sign in to follow this  
bcLet

Cannot connect websocket to rippled after latest rippled release in MS .NET

After latest release of rippled I am unable to establish a connection to a public rippled server wss://s1.ripple.com/ in .NET environment. I have tried these two libraries:

1. https://github.com/kerryjiang/WebSocket4Net
  2. http://sta.github.io/websocket-sharp/

First one closes connection with error "Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream", second one just gives a generic error. I guess this must be related to this item from release notes:

Increase OpenSSL requirements & harden default TLS cipher suites

Anyone able to connect in .NET? Secure connection is not really necessary for me, but I cannot even connect to non-secure ws://s1.ripple.com/ server. Perhaps some thoughts on this?

41 minutes ago, bcLet said:

After latest release of rippled I am unable to establish a connection to a public rippled server wss://s1.ripple.com/ in .NET environment. I have tried these two libraries:

1. https://github.com/kerryjiang/WebSocket4Net
  2. http://sta.github.io/websocket-sharp/

First one closes connection with error "Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream", second one just gives a generic error. I guess this must be related to this item from release notes:

Anyone able to connect in .NET? Secure connection is not really necessary for me, but I cannot even connect to non-secure ws://s1.ripple.com/ server. Perhaps some thoughts on this?

Maybe related:

https://github.com/ripple/ripple-dev-portal/issues/203

(although in this case TLS connection was established)

I'm not sure that ws://s1.ripple.com works at all (it didn't work in the past if I remember correctly).

Edited by T8493

2 hours ago, JoelKatz said:

Nik, Warren and Derek are going above and beyond the call of duty and fixes are rolling out as we speak.

Update: s1 and s2 should now be fully operational.

I can confirm that the WebSocket4Net (targeting .NET 4.5) library now works.

Edited by T8493

The technical team was pretty fast to fix the bug. Great.

But that's a user who finds the bug one day after the official release on the forum.

I assume losing one day for a business is too much and it would have reported it faster.

It gives a good indicator whose is using RCL...

Edited by ElMoskito

4 hours ago, ElMoskito said:

The technical team was pretty fast to fix the bug. Great.

But that's a user who finds the bug one day after the official release on the forum.

I assume losing one day for a business is too much and it would have reported it faster.

It gives a good indicator whose is using RCL...

OK, apps based on .NET library could have issues for 1 day on the newly released rippled build. Most of the nodes were running pre-50 versions, so what's the big deal here?

You are trying to draw great conclusions on rather subtle issues... Why?

Edited by Duke67

1 hour ago, Sukrim said:

A business hopefully wouldn't use outdated crypto with C# libraries...

What's wrong with C#? Some financial institutions use C# exclusively, even for high-frequency trading.

The correct approach to this problem would be to previously test the new rippled with your software. If there are any issues, then you just don't upgrade.

Ripple servers s1.ripple.com aren't recommended for business use anyway. I'm not sure why GateHub is using them, though.

1 hour ago, T8493 said:

What's wrong with C#? Some financial institutions use C# exclusively, even for high-frequency trading.

The correct approach to this problem would be to previously test the new rippled with your software. If there are any issues, then you just don't upgrade.

Ripple servers s1.ripple.com aren't recommended for business use anyway. I'm not sure why GateHub is using them, though.

Yes you're right. I know a big bank that is using .NET for several trading apps.

Yeah the correct approach is to test the new rippled. If there are any issues, then you just don't upgrade AND you open an issue on Github. :)

We don't even know if it was specific to .NET. I hope it was the case and it was not easy to trigger else how do you explain it took this time for businesses to report it?

Most of the nodes were running pre-50 versions, so what's the big deal here?

Ripple recommends to be up to date.

I hope it's not so old versions business are using, because it would show the disinterest in the new features (+not sure they would be able to get a synchro)

You are trying to draw great conclusions on rather subtle issues... Why?

Good question, not sure it's "great conclusions". Why? I would say fear. I'm afraid of being mistaken about my investment. I try to know what's behind the scenes. :(

Edited by ElMoskito

1 hour ago, ElMoskito said:

Yes you're right. I know a big bank that is using .NET for several trading apps.

That's interesting. What kind of trading, FX, stocks or? Please tell us more about that.

Sign in to follow this