Stormchaser417

Does XRP Have a Name Problem?

Can I state something that I think is somewhat obvious, yet I've very rarely seen discussed?  IMHO it's kind of an "elephant in the room":

XRP has a real name problem which IMHO is hindering mass-adoption.
Let me just state for the record that I am incredibly bullish on XRP and Ripple. I've been a supporter for a year now, having switched over to it from BTC after realizing that BTC had significant scaling issues; but I've always felt that it's name hinders its adoption somewhat, by the general public. "Bitcoin," "Stellar," "Ether," "Litecoin"..... all of these are easily and intuitively pronounceable. But outside of our circle of knowledgeable investors, most people would not intuitively know that it's pronounced, "Zerp."  [sic] Also to be blunt, "Xerp," sounds kind of..... well, dumb.  I think that this is kind of a consequence of Ripple distancing themselves from it last year. IMHO XRP wasn't really ever intended to be a proper name, so much as a ticker-symbol. This was evidenced by the fact that so many news sites and exchanges were so slow to stop referring to it as Ripple ( even to this day some struggle with this.)

I'm curious if anyone else thinks that the public will have trouble taking a currency with the name "Xerp," seriously....?
I get that this will be a non-issue for banks/FIs... but I'm talking specifically about mass-adoption as a currency.  I'm also not suggesting that this is some sort of deal-breaking problem; just that it's hindering it's growth. 

Lastly just wanted to add that I don't really think Ripple wants it to mature in value too quickly at this point. At least not until the network has grown, which is probably very soon.

Edited by Stormchaser417

XRP is primarily a B2B utility token in the longer term.  It's not retail.  Businesses will care about time and cost savings.  I even think Ripple will white-label a lot of their services in the future, so that so many services could actually be utilising XRP and you wouldn't know it.  In the future, literally billions of people will be using XRP (indirectly) but they won't even know it, nor need to know it. 

You raise an interesting point though that I think is applicable to retail-facing cryptos like Nano (formally RaiBlocks which already has had a name change!).  Crypto and the blockchain is not easy to understand, and it's in its infancy now, so all coins have unstable prices.  This IS a marketing / perception problem for front-facing, retail coins.

Edited by 2ndtimearound

LOL !!  This forum has truly become a sesspool of desperation for the maximalist’s lemmings.  It’s not working.  Buy some XRP, have a beer, get laid, get a hobby, make a friend.  Step out from behind your screens and put your wasted effort into something worthwhile.  

30 minutes ago, Phintech said:

Buy some XRP, have a beer, get laid, get a hobby, make a friend.  Step out from behind your screens and put your wasted effort into something worthwhile.  

Oh crap. I bought a friend, ,made beer, had a lay. Am I gonna be ok?

32 minutes ago, Phintech said:

LOL !!  This forum has truly become a sesspool of desperation for the maximalist’s lemmings.  It’s not working.  Buy some XRP, have a beer, get laid, get a hobby, make a friend.  Step out from behind your screens and put your wasted effort into something worthwhile.  

Um, Er,   Huh?

What about this thread makes it a sesspool (actually cesspool...)?

And if I may ask...   what kind of joy comes from swooping in and insulting people?   I’ve never quite understood that..