Price variance during transaction and...

KingSolomon

Has ripple explained how  companies will be dealing with the 5-10sec lag when exchanging (buying/selling) ripple?

some transactions can potentially cost hundreds of thousands, while others make that much. Who gets the profit/losses?

Potential explanation: 

For ex: if this is to be between 2 banks, it would make sense for banks to hold unto XRP

Bank A and Bank B both have 500M of XRP, and during transactions, they instantly buy/sell XRP when agreed

so the transfer time doesn't affect anyone. It would then be up to the banks' discretion when to buy/sell to keep their residual XRP balance at X. 

Follow up: 
This further opens up new questions: why would institutions bother buying up XRP (which they have been)?

Which cycles back to "what mechanism [beside speculation] is expected to drive the price of XRP?"

It doesn't move enough in 4 seconds for it to be an issue. 

In the real world of large corporate payments it's in the contract which party covers the exchange loses. Or a third party market maker covers the loss. 

Again 4 seconds isn't enough time to make a massive difference unless you're moving trillions of dollars. 

Lastly price is tied to volume and value of the network. 

Edited by keybordem

1 hour ago, KingSolomon said:

Has ripple explained how  companies will be dealing with the 5-10sec lag when exchanging (buying/selling) ripple?

some transactions can potentially cost hundreds of thousands, while others make that much. Who gets the profit/losses?

Potential explanation: 

For ex: if this is to be between 2 banks, it would make sense for banks to hold unto XRP

Bank A and Bank B both have 500M of XRP, and during transactions, they instantly buy/sell XRP when agreed

so the transfer time doesn't affect anyone. It would then be up to the banks' discretion when to buy/sell to keep their residual XRP balance at X. 

Follow up: 
This further opens up new questions: why would institutions bother buying up XRP (which they have been)?

Which cycles back to "what mechanism [beside speculation] is expected to drive the price of XRP?"

#FUDALERT #NOOB 

/Thread

11 minutes ago, NightJanitor said:

Credit risk and time?  XRP is (among other things) its own settlement asset.

Settlement asset with slight lag. I don't see why a bank would not settle this on anything but futures market. I'm not sure i follow re: credit risk. 

On a 100M transfer .05% variance is 500k. If you are not comfortable seeing this as a loss, then how about a gain?  Who gets to keep the extra money? Split?

If this is a noob question, please, someone kindly refer to source/link that explains this. Thanks much!!!

From Telegram XRP Chat Admin, the best, and most sensible response I got is with reduction in settlement time with Cobalt to 1-2s, the banks will just leverage the price volatility in how much they charge their customers to transfer. 

Any other feedback appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, KingSolomon said:

Settlement asset with slight lag. I don't see why a bank would not settle this on anything but futures market. I'm not sure i follow re: credit risk. 

On a 100M transfer .05% variance is 500k. If you are not comfortable seeing this as a loss, then how about a gain?  Who gets to keep the extra money? Split?

If this is a noob question, please, someone kindly refer to source/link that explains this. Thanks much!!!

The exact same problem already exists in the FX markets and the way it is minimised is through competition between market makers i.e whoever has the tightest spreads gets the customers.

36 minutes ago, KingSolomon said:

Why even have any volatility at all and not just settle as futures contracts?

Thanks for the responses. 

Third party makes sense, as a party that is long on XRP in short and medium- term. 

Xrp settles faster than anything on the planet. There is barely any volatility whatsoever

12 minutes ago, Kpuff said:

Xrp settles faster than anything on the planet. There is barely any volatility whatsoever

I don't disagree with this. Hence why I believe XRP is the best digital asset. I just wanted to know the semantics of the process. I'm still learning and not an expert in this field. 

15 minutes ago, Trickery said:

The exact same problem already exists in the FX markets and the way it is minimised is through competition between market makers i.e whoever has the tightest spreads gets the customers.

Ah! That's right. Thank you for pointing this out. 

17 minutes ago, lll_lll said:

Big money transfers like $100 Million will not be done in the exchanges. It will be done OTC. Market makers take the cut both on buy and sell end. 

Thanks for reminding me, and clarifying this. 

27 minutes ago, KingSolomon said:

The forum gets a lot of people showing up asking these types of questions - most of them are, to be kind, "insincere" - and it was also hard to calibrate your understanding based upon the (initially simple, but now edited and quite a bit more complex) question.  Without spending so much time on this that I feel like I need to send you a bill, I'll provide you some catch-up info.

https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/5280-valuation-models-xrp-the-digital-currency-vs-ripple-the-company/?tab=comments#comment-50182

https://medium.com/@ikarosm/global-cash-management-with-crypto-assets-and-xrp-7e58b8c879e6

https://medium.com/@ikarosm/ripple-and-xrp-for-the-corporate-treasurer-6165da8b1475

Now, here's a more advanced hedging discussion that may be of interest to you - it's long, but deep:  https://twitter.com/tenitoshi/status/1039705048849113090

Hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, NightJanitor said:

The forum gets a lot of people showing up asking these types of questions - most of them are, to be kind, "insincere" - and it was also hard to calibrate your understanding based upon the (initially simple, but now edited and quite a bit more complex) question.  Without spending so much time on this that I feel like I need to send you a bill, I'll provide you some catch-up info.

https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/5280-valuation-models-xrp-the-digital-currency-vs-ripple-the-company/?tab=comments#comment-50182

https://medium.com/@ikarosm/global-cash-management-with-crypto-assets-and-xrp-7e58b8c879e6

https://medium.com/@ikarosm/ripple-and-xrp-for-the-corporate-treasurer-6165da8b1475

Now, here's a more advanced hedging discussion that may be of interest to you - it's long, but deep:  https://twitter.com/tenitoshi/status/1039705048849113090

Hope that helps.

Thank you for understanding. At first, i didn't understand how "FUDiness" could be misconstrued from the opening questions, but now i do. Thanks everyone for clarifying.