T8493

Ripple Q4 2016 XRP Markets Report

@rippledigital thx for trying to clarify. I am afraid I still don't get it. Thinking aloud. Assuming a bank is interested in using XRP. It can either buy them or lend them. If the bank expects XRP to increase in value it seems logical to buy. If the bank assumes XRP will decrease in value (or isn't sure about price development) lending would be the better option. In either case XRP is used with most of the benefits you mention. So why does Ripple expect that the option to borrow will facilitate enhanced participation in XRP markets and deeper and more stable markets? Is it because it will attract parties who otherwise would not take the risk of buying XRP? 

3 hours ago, Earthbound said:

I am sorry, though, that this thread and forum has been filled with many disrespectful comments.

The only thing which is disrespectful in this thread are people who suggest "to leave the train" if you don't enjoy riding it. That's the same mentality Bitcoin core diehards display currently when people complain about confirmation times and fees. Criticism is resembled as "negative energy" rather than being talked about. It's cute that you are apologizing for our "bad behavior"  but could you please show me the disrespectful post you are referring to? I think the worst thing i read was "amateurish" and i think that a grown up man like Miguel who managed top tier trading desks in a rough industry can handle that.

This forum is becoming more and more unproductive as more and more old members leave and are replaced by permabulls. 

I doubt that many of those making crude remarks could even work in a professional environment with that demeanor, and I also doubt these same individuals could be doing the quality of work many of Ripple's employees have done, including Miguel.

And if u really want a constructive discussion maybe u should share your view on the report instead of discrediting other opinions as whatever you are trying to say here. 

By borrowing XRPs you are being able to participate in the XRP ecosystem/trading without actually owning it. And I suspect this can lead to those institutionals participating that are not (yet) comfortable owning XRPs due to regulatory (or reputational) reasons.

I wouldn't spend too much time on supply/demand technicals at this point in time. Believe me, you won't need to worry about the price anymore once it becomes clear/confirmed that big, established institutionals(!) are a frequent user of this digital asset.

Edited by thunderw

52 minutes ago, Annevanzwol said:

@rippledigital thx for trying to clarify. I am afraid I still don't get it. Thinking aloud. Assuming a bank is interested in using XRP. It can either buy them or lend them. If the bank expects XRP to increase in value it seems logical to buy. If the bank assumes XRP will decrease in value (or isn't sure about price development) lending would be the better option. In either case XRP is used with most of the benefits you mention. So why does Ripple expect that the option to borrow will facilitate enhanced participation in XRP markets and deeper and more stable markets? Is it because it will attract parties who otherwise would not take the risk of buying XRP? 

The bank isn't market making. And I don't think from what I understood reading the report that the banks are lending either. Ripple is loaning XRP. Market makers or other institutions will be borrowing. But as you say, banks, if interested in XRP, would be buying it off-market or as part of agreements. 

Market makers would want to borrow because they would get excellent rates at lower risk than borrowing USD or EUR capital, I expect. And they are the ones engaging in the incentives scheme, which only works with XRP. So logical to receive the capital in XRP. Does that make sense? 

2 hours ago, xtrapower said:

The only thing which is disrespectful in this thread are people who suggest "to leave the train" if you don't enjoy riding it. That's the same mentality Bitcoin core diehards display currently when people complain about confirmation times and fees. Criticism is resembled as "negative energy" rather than being talked about. It's cute that you are apologizing for our "bad behavior"  but could you please show me the disrespectful post you are referring to? I think the worst thing i read was "amateurish" and i think that a grown up man like Miguel who managed top tier trading desks in a rough industry can handle that.

This forum is becoming more and more unproductive as more and more old members leave and are replaced by permabulls. 

And if u really want a constructive discussion maybe u should share your view on the report instead of discrediting other opinions as whatever you are trying to say here. 

I did not discredit anybody in particular nor will I, and I didn't tell anybody to "leave the train" (and how is that even disrespectful?). I don't need to provide citations of disrespect, plenty of crap (and great feedback, if they even need that from us) has been thrown at Ripple and its employees here on this forum.

"Cute"? Lol. Our? Did I say xtrapower was being crude? Are you assuming I may be including you? Evidently you and I have different standards of discourse.

What do you expect to come from this forum with regard to Ripple's development?

I did not expect much from the report. Why would I? Have you not been watching the markets yourself? Are you expecting news or developments to appear out of thin air? Even so, it did have good news. I thought it was OK and quite representative of exactly where we are: getting started. I also thought it was quite short and I didn't expect it to spend any time discussing digital currencies other than bitcoin (monero/litecoin).

Edited by Earthbound
Spelling

2 hours ago, xtrapower said:

@Earthbound He was attempting to quote me with the "to leave the train" comment. But again, my words (written clearly on screen) were switched around.

And again "criticism" means "criticism" and "negative energy" means "negative energy" @xtrapower.

Come on people! Stop changing my shit around to try to make a point of your own. Lame.

I am tired of the moralizing speech of some. A lot of members as speculators or supporters have concerns about the strategy and the future of XRP. If we cannot name the problems and we cannot talk about them... This is a great forum, all criticisms are good and there was no disrespectful comment, it was just different point of views.

Guest Dizer

I think this thread has out lived its useful life.

@tomxcs or other Moderators,

I suggest we lock this thread and move on to more productive discussions.

@Byrd Please keep language "safe for work" on this forum.

@Dizer Keeping this thread open for now...

Everyone, please stop with any personal attacks or "he said/she said" posts. If you have a problem with the content of a post, please flag it for moderation and we'll look at it ASAP.

Ripple Releases XRP Metrics in New Report

http://finovate.com/ripple-releases-xrp-metrics-new-report/

Ripple Is Expected to have a Bright Future In Q1 2017

http://www.livebitcoinnews.com/ripple-expected-bright-future-q1-2017/

Ripple Plans to Allow Qualified Participants to Borrow XRP in Q1 2017

http://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/news/ripple-plans-to-allow-qualified-participants-to-borrow-xrp-q1-2017/

Ripple gives lowdown on XRP markets

https://ibsintelligence.com/ibs-journal/ibs-news/ripple-gives-lowdown-on-xrp-markets/

Edited by namini