Sign in to follow this  
Biker

Diversify or not

I'm probably not getting unbiased answers on this forum, but here goes anyway:

I sold about one third of my XRP stack last week, after panicking over the Tether debacle. Havent' panicked before. Now it seems to quiet down, although it remains to see, whether BF can keep up its banking, and whether they run out of btc or what.

I'm more than 80% in XRP. Now with all Fidelity and other instos' moving towards the space, I feel like I'm soon throwing my euros back in the game. I feel like I should diversify.. and I like the stories of e.g. Novogratz.. but still it's hard for me to throw money into btc or eth. Btc is china owned polluting slow first iteration of crypto.. and eth just to me seems like nerds (I'm a sw engineer myself, so I am allowed to talk about nerds) just playing around and dreaming about the future. XRP just makes so much more sense than these two other top three cryptos.

Any advice? Although most of my net worth (besides the house) is in XRP, it's still hard for me to just keep the sold zerps as euros in the bank. And I also sold off my stocks nicely a month ago, to keep some in euros anyway.

I listen to Digital Asset Investor youtuber and I've totally bought this vision of money pouring in during the next two years. I just can't help but thinking, why not buy the zerps back.. they'll be worth more than 0,45$ a year from now anyway?

I would appreciate sober views on my thinking.

There's absolutely no guarantee that XRP are worth more than $0,45 a year from now.

IMO diversifying is the smart move. Not just in crypto. Personally I have my savings (50%), stock (10%) and crypto (40%). Also looking to get some gold just in case the dollar crashes. Who knows what will happen then.

There is no guarantee that XRP moons within the next few years.... it is still speculative. Ask this ypou tube guy if he would buy your remaining zerps for 1 dollar. If he is right and convinced that everything is going up, then he would have made a really good deal, right?

But I doubt he would do that ... he does not know the future, either. But maybe he put in so much money in Crypto that the coins must go up ... from his point of view.

So I ask you: Qui bono?
So why is he sharing that with unknown people on the internet? What are his motivations? Altruism?

Short term:
Do not FOMO... noone knows what future brings... maybe XRP will kiss 0.000 within a few month, maybe 100.000... maybe IOTA moons due to the partnership with VW, maybe it is CSC, maybe ADA, maybe VEN .. who knows? There are 2.400 Coins out there and only a few will survive... It is your job to find these nuggets....

Look at this article from nov. 2017: https://www.investing.com/analysis/will-bitcoin-cost-100-k-in-2018-200268725
Will Bitcoin Cost $100K In 2018? Now 2018 is almost over, Institutional investors are in the market and 100k BTC becomes reality - AMarkets announced a year ago.

beware of FOMO'ing....

Look here - BTC woth $ 600k?: https://uk.tradingview.com/chart/BTCUSD/AdxNXLj8-One-Bitcoin-worth-600-000/
beware of FOMO'ing...

I currently have about $ 6k remaining, which I have reserved for XRP ... But: I'm waiting ... I'm not sure what the next few weeks will bring. overall 24h crypto volume is only ~208 Bil. USD, mostly traded crypto/crypto.. no new fiats incoming now... so: I wait at the sideline and wait for a 'market decision'

BTC is following SPX up and down... where is S&P heading in the next months... If money "flees" out of stock markets then it will also flee out of high speculative assets like cryptos... It's idiotic to believe that traders will shift their money from stocks to cryptos during the crisis (as discussed in several threads at xrpchat)

Long term:
VISA partners IBM to solve crossborder payments, JPM launches it own solution, .... etc. There is competition out there, and XRP is one of them fighting for their own pie. Will they win a big part? I hope so and I think so... but it will take some time and and in 20-30 months we will see more clearly. And that also applies to all other coins.

Institutional Money? I do not see that yet. Bacley's bank has enthusiastically entered the crypto market and has just pulled the emergency brake: this market is so manipulative and opaque (Tether, Bitfinex, ...) that they have to wait and see before it goes any further. (https://cryptoshib.com/barclays-shutdown-crypto/)

My advice:

Do not listen to the prophets out there who promise you wealth or the end of the world. The truth will be somewhere in the middle. Since we can not all foretell the future, I would diversify my risk through diversification.

Edited by xSODAx

Just like you I sold all my stocks/funds about a month ago, good timing :)

It is always smart to diversify your investment portfolio, never put your eggs in 1 basket.
Another thing to keep in mind (especially now that an economic recession seems to become more realistic) to also keep track what investments are offensive/speculative and what ones are defensive.

It is always smart that when you invest money speculative assets (Such as XRP) you also invest some in more low-risk assets (gold, gold-mine stocks, bonds).

Edited by Uloveme

I am 46 and have most of my ducks in order....house with a pretty big mortgage (I live in Vancouver), but two nice cars paid off and live comfortably. 

I am diversified as such:

50% stocks (but will likely be lower in 6-8 months.....this little blip isn’t the big one so I will ride along for the next strong surge) 

20% liquid (chequing account....may be kind of dumb but like being able to jump into something if I like) 

20%  XRP (yes, pretty risky for an old guy like me) 

10% silver (hard silver anywhere from 1oz pieces to 100oz bars...also in case things go to hell) 

I diversify into other asset classes.  To me, as far as crypto goes, XRP is the only game in town.

Edit: I'll add that there probably are a few other coins that may make real world impact with their use cases. I also think that other tokens that may never actually do much of anything useful ie BTC/ETH will ride the institutional wave. I just think XRP is primed to gain the most and is by far the closest to being used in a serious way. If it fails, I don't see much hope for anything else.

Edited by mrhat75

Seriously, all we can do is pick apart the info that leaks out about crypto. Then invest in what we see as valuable coins. That is all we can do.

I own XRP, ADA, and XLM. These were my heavily researched coins and I think they are good solid prospects but could go belly up any day. Just like any investment. And I mean any investment. If 2008 showed me anything is that this is all a game. But you MUST be in the game to play. We holders may loose. But if what we are told is true, and there is no guarantee it is, we may have a huge gain out of select coins.

I also own $50 of crap coins bought super cheap-Reddcoin-Verge-Dogecoin. Bought these for "fun".

Don't put more in than you can loose. And if you are panic selling you have too much in.

3 hours ago, Biker said:

I'm probably not getting unbiased answers on this forum, but here goes anyway:

I sold about one third of my XRP stack last week, after panicking over the Tether debacle. Havent' panicked before. Now it seems to quiet down, although it remains to see, whether BF can keep up its banking, and whether they run out of btc or what.

I'm more than 80% in XRP. Now with all Fidelity and other instos' moving towards the space, I feel like I'm soon throwing my euros back in the game. I feel like I should diversify.. and I like the stories of e.g. Novogratz.. but still it's hard for me to throw money into btc or eth. Btc is china owned polluting slow first iteration of crypto.. and eth just to me seems like nerds (I'm a sw engineer myself, so I am allowed to talk about nerds) just playing around and dreaming about the future. XRP just makes so much more sense than these two other top three cryptos.

Any advice? Although most of my net worth (besides the house) is in XRP, it's still hard for me to just keep the sold zerps as euros in the bank. And I also sold off my stocks nicely a month ago, to keep some in euros anyway.

I listen to Digital Asset Investor youtuber and I've totally bought this vision of money pouring in during the next two years. I just can't help but thinking, why not buy the zerps back.. they'll be worth more than 0,45$ a year from now anyway?

I would appreciate sober views on my thinking.

I'm not going to give you a bio because who cares, right? Nor am I going to give you a soliloquy life lesson because you didn't ask for one. Instead I'll answer your question as I see it.

Diversify? Yes, it's a good idea.

I completely get why you don't want to jump into BTC or ETH as the profit might not be that great. Personally, I see BTC as being the first in line for the next bull run and so I am buying a little here and there.

Other than that, TRON (TRX) is a very popular coin, well known and with a good team behind it. It's currently sitting at 2c, so $2k will buy you 100,000TRX. I see this as outstanding value for a cheeky punt on an outside horse. It is frequently mentioned in discussions on which assets will be added to Coinbase, Etoro etc. So even if it hits 10c, you've made great money. If it gets added to this or that exchange and goes to $5, you've paid off the mortgage.

That's just me though. I am not an investment advisor etc... 

Edited by XRPRJB
Annoying extra question mark. California, this isn't.

1 minute ago, zenkert said:

I was just kidding with words. Whatever money one have put into anything, one can consider a saving, or an investment. Did not mean to upset you with that LOL.

That's okay, you didn't upset me. Savings are not the same as an investment

Many of you guys know much more than me. Just wanted to throw in there that silver is really affordable right now. My hobby is collecting American Eagles but bullion is fine too. This would be a tiny part of your portfolio but if prices are really good right now, why not?

Sign in to follow this