kanaas

Raspberry Pi 3 as validator?

5 minutes ago, XRPHdlr said:

Does one, running a validator get awarded free zerps?

If by "zerps" you mean XRP: No. Running a validator is not directly rewarded by the network in any way.

I think it will never work. There is only 1Gb of RAM and you need at least 4. Moreover there is no USB 3 to put a USB3 to SATA adapter for an SSD.
I'd try with the up board instead if someone is interested to try.

Building would be impossible with unity builds, (far too little RAM), maybe cross-compiling or trying to build a nounity variant might work. Running is still not possible, the ledger state is larger than the 1 GB RAM on a RPi3.

IO is not a real issue if you want to validate since you wouldn't attach a node store to a validator anyways.

Edited by Sukrim

9 minutes ago, xrptipbot said:

I tried for a short while but I didn't get it to work (wouldn't build) on a Raspi 3. I think even if someone would get it to build the Pi would not manage to keep up (IO).

Thanks Wietse! I didn't realise your name here is  @xrptipbot or I would have tagged you rather than ask on twitter DOH :crazy:

Are there any other options besides a pi then, while still being in the same vein (ie not a bulky system)?

Edited by Ashes
ie

Renting a server does not require any space at home, you can try an up board or a NUC. ARM boards with 8GB RAM are rather rare, so you'll likely have to look for these x86 options.

11 minutes ago, Ashes said:

Are there any other options besides a pi then, while still being in the same vein (ie not a bulky system)?

2 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

Renting a server does not require any space at home, you can try an up board or a NUC. ARM boards with 8GB RAM are rather rare, so you'll likely have to look for these x86 options.

4 hours ago, BiltongNinja said:

Thanks Wietse! I didn't realise your name here is  @xrptipbot or I would have tagged you rather than ask on twitter DOH :crazy:

Yeah well, prepared for the possibilities in the future right? @xrptipbot account may be used for a tipbot here one day... (I'd like to build the integration over here as well). Now at least someone else can't register this username :)

4 hours ago, BiltongNinja said:

Yeah well, prepared for the possibilities in the future right? @xrptipbot account may be used for a tipbot here one day... (I'd like to build the integration over here as well). Now at least someone else can't register this username :)

55 minutes ago, xrptipbot said:

Good thinking! I did a post about your xrptipbot the other day where I tried to hint at it coming to a chat forum near us. Which would be here! So its great that you are actually thinking of trying it.

With the wind from behind and a bit of luck your system could make XRP the social media  currency of "like" :good: 

Edited by BiltongNinja