WillGetThere

Interesting debate on Twitter involving David Schwartz, Tom Channik, Ari Paul, Rob Lee

43 minutes ago, lucky said:

There's one thing that can't do: create a universal, decentralized, open digital asset. That's the gamechanger.

Correct, because doing so would destroy their existing business models.  Low cost remittances and money transfers level the playing field and help small players and newcomers at the expense of incumbent big players.  One could reasonably argue that the Ripple has already put a nail in the coffin of the correspondent banking model, however that doesn't mean that large players will not go down without a fight or do their best to prolong the transition as much as possible.

6 hours ago, JA8 said:

Legitimate concern - but what irks me a little it's entirely up to Ripple whether or not they choose to divest and eliminate this issue overnight. It's presumably one of the major headwinds that they face for mainstream adoption - why not just do it?

they'll only control that much once, 40%ish percent out there already...its their leverage in a ever evolving process, and being patient and strategic with its use is what they've said they'd do, so i'm good with it so far...i think, and i think they think, its a long game being played for them to maximize XRP use/adoption.

6 hours ago, ImTheRippler said:

Sorry but this dude is a clown.

He is. Might be a paid clown. Why else would you make such an embarresment of yourself online, under your own name? Is his company in fact just a cover for a blockstream / barry silbert / ... PR operation? You just have to claim you operate a large fund, get a pretty twitter profile pic, and you can attack your opponent with authority.

Don't understimate twitter. It is being used by many peole as a tool to manipulate your ideas.

What do we know about Ari? Who is whispering his tweets in his ear?

6 hours ago, lucky said:

He is. Might be a paid clown. Why else would you make such an embarresment of yourself online, under your own name? Is his company in fact just a cover for a blockstream / barry silbert / ... PR operation? You just have to claim you operate a large fund, get a pretty twitter profile pic, and you can attack your opponent with authority.

Don't understimate twitter. It is being used by many peole as a tool to manipulate your ideas.

What do we know about Ari? Who is whispering his tweets in his ear?

Might be a bit random, but I always recommend the audio documentary Hashpower as an introduction to blockchain, and Ari Paul features in it. Probably not advanced enough for you, but it delivers a ton of useful metaphors and ways to explain blockchain to beginners. 

Once they're fired up about POW, I have them watch this classic on Consensus, and no more than half of them get it. I guess Ari is in the other half.