Promethee

With Rambling Clinton Keynote, Ripple Is Sending a Clear Message

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton didn't have to say much when he delivered the keynote at Ripple's Swell conference in San Francisco. And indeed, he barely said anything relevant to the blockchain industry.

The 42nd commander in chief has long been recognized for his rhetorical prowess, but there was little pressure on him to rouse or inspire the audience at Ripple's event. He was sending a message on Ripple's behalf simply by appearing on stage.

Specifically, the company was saying: Ripple is the kind of company that can book Clinton to speak.

https://www.coindesk.com/with-rambling-clinton-keynote-ripple-is-sending-a-clear-message/

25 minutes ago, Promethee said:

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton didn't have to say much when he delivered the keynote at Ripple's Swell conference in San Francisco. And indeed, he barely said anything relevant to the blockchain industry.

The 42nd commander in chief has long been recognized for his rhetorical prowess, but there was little pressure on him to rouse or inspire the audience at Ripple's event. He was sending a message on Ripple's behalf simply by appearing on stage.

Specifically, the company was saying: Ripple is the kind of company that can book Clinton to speak.

https://www.coindesk.com/with-rambling-clinton-keynote-ripple-is-sending-a-clear-message/

Extremely poor choice of keynote speaker.  Chosen just for the visibility.  Banksman Clinton finds it difficult to be relevant these fine days.

The objectives of Ripple seem to be more clarified after this Swell:

Promote legislation favorable to the crypto from within the establishment  (It may be that this fact leads to a new and promising political career for Brad, I think he would be a great candidate); expand a robust message of disruptive technological innovation to the world and position yourself at the head of the blockchain movement.

is there something consistent outside of Ripple?

While you can argue about the choice of speaker, this rings especially valid:

Not only does it seemingly vault Ripple into a small circle of establishment firms that book Clintons: Goldman Sachs, Moran Stanley and Deutsche Bank. It simultaneously distances Ripple even more emphatically from the world of fly-by-night ICOs, dark web markets, Ponzi schemes, tokens, sectarian hard forks and meat-only diets – the "crypto" scene that Ripple clearly wants nothing to do with.

Next year's speaker?

CL of course - was he even at Swell?

Seriously:

Asia was a bit underrepresented at Swell... Jack Ma?

Or a high profile FI name adopting Ripple.

His message was basically this: blockchain is revolutionary and can change the world. Not only from a purely profit perspective but also from a mankind perspective by inclusion of everyone. And for that to happen we need to work together.
Ripple uses ILP and wants to work together and build an ecosystem where all can participate.
So to me it made sense, although it was taking a long time to get his point across.

I just wonder what would have been the headline on this topic if Ripple would have come out with some extremely good news like Amazon :) Did not Clinton speak on day one at SWELL ?

1 hour ago, panmores said:

It simultaneously distances Ripple even more emphatically from the world of fly-by-night ICOs, dark web markets, Ponzi schemes, tokens, sectarian hard forks and meat-only diets – the "crypto" scene that Ripple clearly wants nothing to do with.

This!!  

Bitcoin’s primary use case is illegal activity.  And so much other garbage out there.  

This!!  
Bitcoin’s primary use case is illegal activity.  And so much other garbage out there.  
No it's primary use is not illegal activity. This has been investigated already numerous times. Bitcoin is not anonymous.
Stop saying things because they fit your agenda.

18 minutes ago, SquaryBone said:

No it's primary use is not illegal activity. This has been investigated already numerous times. Bitcoin is not anonymous.
Stop saying things because they fit your agenda.

LOL!!! It makes me laugh to hear btc’ers address agendas.  Just look around the blockchain space at media, social media, forums, etc and talk to me about agendas.

I’m sorry you fell for that “investigation”.  If you believe for one second that those activities aren’t widespread on the bitcoin network, you’re just naive or brainwashed.

Lets just have a soda and be friends.  You’re buying (with bitcoin of course).

Edited by Phintech

2 hours ago, Blubber said:

Extremely poor choice of keynote speaker.  Chosen just for the visibility.  Banksman Clinton finds it difficult to be relevant these fine days.

I agree; Clinton was an extremely poor choice. To say that he is a polarizing political figure in the USA is an enormous understatement. Why risk turning off 50% of your Swell audience? On top of that, in this present-day #meetoo era, I believe Ripple's choice of a keynote speaker who used his position of power to "allegedly" abuse women for decades was tone deaf. 

....comments coming from someone who doesn't think there's a politician on earth worth a warm bucket of spit.

I'm an xrper [emoji14] it's stupid to do illegal activities if money flow can be traced forever. Using xrp or btc for these activities would have the same result: all your activity being traceable.

LOL!!! It makes me laugh to hear btc’ers address agendas.  Just look around the blockchain space at media, social media, forums, etc and talk to me about agendas.
I’m sorry you fell for that “investigation”.  If you believe for one second that those activities aren’t widespread on the bitcoin network, you’re just naive or brainwashed.

Just now, SquaryBone said:

I'm an xrper emoji14.png it's stupid to do illegal activities if money flow can be traced forever. Using xrp or btc for these activities would have the same result: all your activity being traceable.

Right on.  Moving on. ?

3 minutes ago, 69GTOjudge said:

I agree; Clinton was an extremely poor choice. To say that he is a polarizing political figure in the USA is an enormous understatement. Why risk turning off 50% of your Swell audience? On top of that, in this present-day #meetoo era, I believe Ripple's choice of a keynote speaker who used his position of power to "allegedly" abuse women for decades was tone deaf. 

....comments coming from someone who doesn't think there's a politician on earth worth a warm bucket of spit.

I was a big fan of Jose Mujica, president of Uruguay.  His entire net worth was a used VW and he used to donate his salary to the poor.  Now that is someone worthwhile