Swell attendee tweeting about a Amazon / XRP rumour buzzing around

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I can make two quick assessments.  1.  CryptHawk is not at Swell.  2.  CryptHawk cannot even spell ‘hear’  Nothing to see here. 

BG, Schwartz, and a few other big wigs have referenced Amazon and Uber over and over, almost to the point of being obsessive. I’m usually a cynic but I cannot imagine them being mentioned this much, f

Uber, Amazon and Airbnb will be trialing xVia, if they aren't already. It would be absurd if they didn't, it's made for them, it will save them a lot of money and improve the service to their customer

Posted Images

2 hours ago, WhentheBoat_ComesIn said:

The 800lb Gorilla in the room?

I don't understand the obsession with this session. Doesn't the title just imply that this is a controversial area because most DA's not have actual use cases, rather than actually releasing any more XRP-related news?

I'd been following this crypthawk guy too, and I don't think he'd spread information he didn't believe is true. If he's wrong, it's not a knock on his integrity.

But honestly ... if I'm Amazon with distribution centers all over the world and experimenting with P2P type deliveries or Uber whose drivers around the world want to get paid immediately for big or small jobs, why the hell wouldn't I want to jump on this asap? It's a competitive market out there. Imagine what RippleNet can do for every independent contractor, especially those in other countries 

1 hour ago, djdhrubs said:

I don't understand the obsession with this session. Doesn't the title just imply that this is a controversial area because most DA's not have actual use cases, rather than actually releasing any more XRP-related news?

The choice of title is a highly unusual one which IMO has been chosen for a reason.

From Wikipedia "800-pound gorilla" is an American English expression for a person or organization so powerful that it can act without regard to the rights of others or the law. The phrase is rooted in a joke riddle:"Where does an 800-lb. gorilla sit?" [The answer: "Anywhere it wants to."]The term can describe a powerful geopolitical and military force, or, in business, a powerful corporate entity that has such a large majority percentage of whatever market they compete within that they can use that strength to crush would-be competitors.

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to see Ripple is implying that SWIFT is the 800-pound gorilla and that

The 800 Pound Gorilla: Digital Asset Adoption

is Ripple stating; either (1) Digital Asset Adoption of Ripple's product suite is the gamechanger that will end this dominance or  (2) The momentum of Digital Asset Adoption of Ripple's product suite will lead to them, not SWIFT, becoming The 800 Pound Gorilla.

This, in of itself, is why people are eagerly anticipating the session. I would not be surprised if we are also given a big announcement - although I would not be disappointed if we weren't.?

"800-pound gorilla" is an American English expression for a person or organization so powerful that it can act without regard to the rights of others or the law.[1]

The phrase is rooted in a joke riddle:

"Where does an 800-lb. gorilla sit?" [The answer: "Anywhere it wants to."]

This highlights the disparity of power between the "800-lb. gorilla" and everything else. (Though gorillas in the wild never reach even as much as 600 lb[citation needed])

The term can describe a powerful geopolitical and military force, or, in business, a powerful corporate entity that has such a large majority percentage of whatever market they compete within that they can use that strength to crush would-be competitors.

In law, the phrase occurs semi-(in)formally as a characterization of judges vs. courts; as in: "Standard/Court Rule" vs "Gorilla/Judge Rule".[2]

The metaphor has been mixed, on occasion, with the metaphor of the elephant in the room.[3]

Well this is interesting. Are they referring to a new massive partner or an existing industry player they are coming up against. Who knows, we can sit here and speculate all day but let's wait and find out :D

52 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

TLDR random person hears the word 'Amazon' and makes connection that arent there

Amazon has two very clear use cases.

Global incremental payout for Mechanical Turk hit completion.

Incremental invoicing for AWS usage fees.

I'd imagine they'd save considerable transaction fees in switching the billing/payment rails for these systems.

4 minutes ago, LiquidGoat said:

cant find thhe account on twitter, what he/she/it say?

"There is something HOT brewing with Santander! Stay tuned, I am trying to spy on some people here to know more about what it could be! #XRPcommunity $XRP #XRP #SwellbyRipple #SWELL2018" CryptHawk

21 minutes ago, XRPLearner said:

"There is something HOT brewing with Santander! Stay tuned, I am trying to spy on some people here to know more about what it could be! #XRPcommunity $XRP #XRP #SwellbyRipple #SWELL2018" CryptHawk

Just posted a new thread with a link about Santander using XRP