AllinXRP

How Did You Get Involved?

Ok, a ew days of sideways movement, slightly lesser volume and now we are headed for the weekend. In other words....nothing big will happen (aside from a predictable drop in the market) over the next few days. What can we do to entertain ourselves?  I say, to whom ever wants to join in, it would be great to see how everyone else got involved. 

Myself, I started hearing about BTC early. 2009 I am guessing, at the poker tables. Guys were trying to explain it and other guys (like me) were trying to wrap their head around it. I decided that it was bunk, move along. Then I kept hearing about it, and that it was going up....but still the same reaction from me, no thanks. 

Now, to let you know, today....out of all my friends and family only one other person is a ‘believer’. 

In 2011 and 2012 I started hearing about it again....this time on sports wagering websites. I used to have a blog that saw about 10k clicks a day and people kept telling me how easy BTC was to use to move money around on these offshore sites. Again.....I just didn’t want to take a chance on something I knew nothing about. 

Fast forward to last September. I am at my NFL Fantasy Draft and one of the guys starts telling me about XRP. By the end of the draft, still knowing nothing about it...I told him that I would put $10k in it when I got home that night. 

Oddly enough, it took me MONTHS to get approved on any site and by the time it happened the run was in full swing. I started buying on the way down and have been trading here and there daily...but only for the purpose of building my ‘stash’. 

My pet peeve is people talking about the next ‘bull run’. I heard somebody today saying ‘the bull run of last week’. Come on boys, a bull market or bull run is a continuous market that moves up, overall, for an extended period of time. 

Like many others, I wish I had listed to people years ago....I am hoping that I am still early enough that this is as good an investment as it feels. Love to hear more about how everyone  else started sowing their XRP oats  

I first heard of crypto around 2010ish (give or take 2 years, I partied heavily in those days), it was an NPR piece about the pizza guy and bitcoin. I thought it was a cool idea, but I was getting my weed through friends and tor browser was really terrible those days so I didn't bother. In the upcoming years once in a while I'd heard random news stories about bitcoin develop, but it still seemed like a pipe dream thing to me, so again I didn't bother investigating. It wasn't until the middle of last year when vice released a documentary about new ethereum millionaires when crypto had my full attention.

I was in a place in life when I've amassed an impressive credit score and  a pretty sizable line of credit to match with nothing to use it for - I was already heavily in debt spent on going out to restaurants and drinking or lavish trips with my ex - with no viable plan to pay it off. I went all in on ether when it dipped to around $150-300 weeks just after the bull run. I figured it's either I make some decent money or just go bankrupt. Totally dumb idea, but bankruptcy wasn't threatening at the time - I was spending 500+ a month just to keep up with interest. So I maxed out my credit cards and researched and researched and researched, which caused me to diversify into many other coins - primarily XRP.

So that was pretty much it. Dumb luck. I've since sold 90% of my non-XRP holdings (luckily) at the top of the bull runs to pay off my debts and take a nice vacation. Kept all my zerps because I think there is more potential in ripple than anything else.

Moral of the story - I'm a drunk idiot and you shouldn't take my advice on investing, even though it worked very well so far.

My story. Try to keep it brief'ish.

I work on oil and gas construction projects. Last year we had a handful of guys legitimately pack in the work thing in due to success on ETH (who bought in under $5 and invested $000’s. So from my perspective I literally know people who made very (VERY) good profits, got a bit lucky, and gave up the day job. If they withdrew all profits etc, I don’t know, that’s personal info, but I doubt it. These are regular guys, not crypto or financial whizz kids. Its been good to have this real life connection to bring me into this and not just rely on news or youtube articles.

I first invested in mid 2017 on the back of these guys talk at work. Mainly in ETH and BTC, but progressed through research to OMG, ETN, SNGLS (I’m a frustrated ex-musician as well, so the artistic side liked this one!), and of course XRP, and lately CSC.

The funny thing is, when I first put money into this in 2017  I found a couple of emails from way back in mid 2016 when I set up an account on Kraken following one of the guys at work giving me the lowdown on ETH …and I just set up the account .. did nothing more…bugger!!! Should have taken the next step and thrown a few thousand at ETH back then! Lesson learned!

XRP fits my bill. I see what its trying to do, where it can work and that we can’t break the FI system overnight.. maybe it doesn’t fit into the whole decentralized crypto antigovernment picture, but for me, it’s more likely to work than a lot of others. Ive managed to acquire a whole lot more than I intended to originally, partly due to price, partly due to my improving understanding and confidence in it. Can’t deny the help this forum has given too. I always look for a read of comments from @RegalChicken  @Hodor  @Chewiecoin @Ripple-Stiltskin and sensible head @XRPto50dollars

On the downside, and as an absolute hater of corporate buzzwording… the hairs on my neck raise up any time I read, use case, utility, bull run, ecosystem, lambo, when moon, etc etc :/

I’m at an age and stage in life (with low debts etc) of where $25 per XRP would let me call it a day, and quickly, based on my “stack” (there’s another one ..), but I have an exit strategy leading up to that and beyond that if all the hype comes to fruition! I have no ambition for a massive house, big fast red sports car..eh actually been there, and done some of that.... I don't need that ever again.

I just buy more, I don’t day trade. I’m not on it daily, or smart enough. I also don’t see the logic in folk saying should I buy at 0.43 or wait until 0.30 when in the next breath they are talking about $100 or $589 … like does a 0.13 difference matter if you believe you will get to $100 or even $10 !?!

I may have bought into Betamax, or Myspace,….I hope not, but it’s worth the risk IMHO and a bit a calculated gamble alongside my more regular retirement investments. Adds a bit o' fun as well.

Edited by UniversalYou

Some of you won't want to hear this part, so feel free to skip this paragraph.  I have known that digital currency was coming since i became born again thru jesus back in 1983.  The concept is in the bible, one of the hallmarks of the last days.  I'm not saying we're there yet, but like every other major shift in the world, it has to start somewhere and eventually becomes commonplace.  I've been watching for this for a long time.

I had heard about the bitcoin for pizza story, which was the first time i had a specific technology to match with the concept of digital currency.  But the idea of digital currency that runs "off the grid" doesn't square with the concept of globally managed commerce as it relates to the subject of my first paragraph.  So i passed on bitcoin...didn't think it was going to be "the" digital currency the world would standardize on.

I really regret not looking into it...woulda, coulda, shoulda...but ugh!  I really let an opportunity get by me.

Fast forward to late last summer and i was having fun with my metal detecting hobby.  I had a rather decent treasure chest of finds and i was looking for something to do with it, rather than let my stash lay around idle (gold and silver haven't exactly rebounded to previous highs).  Someone on a metal detecting forum suggested XRP, which i hadn't heard of before.

As soon as i started reading up on it, i thought that this thing has great potential to be "the one".  It didn't turn me off at all that it was a "banker's coin".  In fact,  that just solidified my decision all the more.  I'm waiting for global adoption. 

This might not be "the one", but it has all the hallmarks of what a global digital currency should be able to do, and it was cheap enough.

In early December I was doing a dungeon run in an online video game with my clan. There was one guy that could not stop talking about this thing called XRP for the entirety of the 3 hour run. 

We didn't manage to complete the end boss that night and I thought with my gf (who likes to watch the game), screw this let's buy some of that crap. Within the hour it started going up and the rest is history. 

Luckily I had been accumulating large amounts just before it went parabolic.

40 minutes ago, AgamemnonUA said:

In early December I was doing a dungeon run in an online video game with my clan. There was one guy that could not stop talking about this thing called XRP for the entirety of the 3 hour run. 

We didn't manage to complete the end boss that night and I thought with my gf (who likes to watch the game), screw this let's buy some of that crap. Within the hour it started going up and the rest is history. 

Luckily I had been accumulating large amounts just before it went parabolic.

Wow that guy was like an xrp_angel for you right on time

4 hours ago, Gismapper said:

Some of you won't want to hear this part, so feel free to skip this paragraph.  I have known that digital currency was coming since i became born again thru jesus back in 1983.  The concept is in the bible, one of the hallmarks of the last days.  I'm not saying we're there yet, but like every other major shift in the world, it has to start somewhere and eventually becomes commonplace.  I've been watching for this for a long time.

I had heard about the bitcoin for pizza story, which was the first time i had a specific technology to match with the concept of digital currency.  But the idea of digital currency that runs "off the grid" doesn't square with the concept of globally managed commerce as it relates to the subject of my first paragraph.  So i passed on bitcoin...didn't think it was going to be "the" digital currency the world would standardize on.

I really regret not looking into it...woulda, coulda, shoulda...but ugh!  I really let an opportunity get by me.

Fast forward to late last summer and i was having fun with my metal detecting hobby.  I had a rather decent treasure chest of finds and i was looking for something to do with it, rather than let my stash lay around idle (gold and silver haven't exactly rebounded to previous highs).  Someone on a metal detecting forum suggested XRP, which i hadn't heard of before.

As soon as i started reading up on it, i thought that this thing has great potential to be "the one".  It didn't turn me off at all that it was a "banker's coin".  In fact,  that just solidified my decision all the more.  I'm waiting for global adoption. 

This might not be "the one", but it has all the hallmarks of what a global digital currency should be able to do, and it was cheap enough.

B98785DB-9E32-4B94-8BE5-498D22D97EDF.jpeg.78657306f5f6b5a1e432010962e9333f.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Plikk said:
5 hours ago, Gismapper said:

" I have known that digital currency was coming since i became born again thru jesus back in 1983.  The concept is in the bible, one of the hallmarks of the last days.  I'm not saying we're there yet..."

@Gismapper

Me too Brother... (But I always capitalize Jesus' name)

And I'm curious, the concept of which you speak of, from Revelations I presume, is not exactly an endorsement of a one world currency or a DA for that matter, would you care to expand upon this point? Why did you invest in something that would help promulgate "end times"?

My entry story: In 2009, my son came home from school and told me about BTC. I did some research and decided it was a hoaky pyramid type scam, BTC was $20 at the time and I almost bought 50 coins, "shoulda, woulda, coulda" indeed! Last December, after rubbing my nose in my BTC denial, he told me about Ripple/XRP, this time I listened!

Peace and Blessings,

Cindy Lou

Edited by CindyLou
Added @gismapper

Similar.  Heard about BTC in maybe 2010/11.  Thought WTF, some kind of funny money computer programmers came up with.  Never crossed my mind to buy.

fast forward to 2017.  Met a neighbor who is a security expert for Google.  He bought some BTC back in 2010 which was worth around 20M at that time when BTC price was around 6k in 2017.  His due diligence was to try to “hack” the BTC network but he realized he could not, and that is when he chose to buy BTC.  His advice was to buy BTC and buy the dips.

doing my own research I came across XRP and all the advantages discussed here.   I started buying in Oct 2017, via ETH at that time.  

Been buying and trading some since. 

I do think XRP has all the potential to be a major disrupter in how money moves around the world  in many ways, as most of us know.

Where that takes the market price, it’s anyones guess, but certainly it is exciting to take part in this journey.

Now for some speculation: I think SWIFT will roll out XRP driven settlements.  It just makes sense to me.  Not sure when that will happen but I believe the groundwork has already been laid.

7 hours ago, Gismapper said:

we shouldn't discredit this concept simply because it has to do with religion. we're all allowed to believe what we believe. i do know what youre referring to.

In Revelations: "..to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that NO ONE MAY BUY OR SELL except one who has the mark or the name of the beast.."

regardless of whether or not people believe in it, it is undeniably interesting that it was written thousands of years ago, and the writer believed that eventually governments would form some form of payment system that you HAVE to be a part of in order to buy daily things.

the concept is slow growing, and we can actually see the progression taking place over the centuries:

When you wanted to buy a loaf of bread years ago, you had to use cash.

centuries later, credit cards made it easier. no cash needed.

decades later we now have RFID enabled credit cards to make payments even easier. no need to swipe.. just touch.

anyone would be a fool to deny that technological progress isnt  going to continue forward to making payments even easier.

in fact, we're all involved in cryptocurrency which again, regardless of whether you believe the verse above, its undeniable that XRP and others make payments easier and faster.

society is based around wanting and having the best technology out there. do we really need $1000 iPhone X's? no.. but people buy them. Your old school cathode ray tube more than likely worked just fine.. but its now 'accepted' in society to toss it for a better flat screen.

with this, the next logical step forward would be some sort of an implant device. why carry credit cards when all you have to do is swipe your hand?

scary thing is.. it already is in the works:

..going full circle, just read the verse above again:

and that NO ONE MAY BUY OR SELL except one who has the mark

the idea is again, not that you have to believe in the verse per se.. but its interesting that something written so long ago predicted a payment system where if you want to feed your family.. youre going to HAVE to get an implant (or some form of 'mark'.. back then they didnt know the word 'implant' so they had to use the best analogy they could). 

with terrorism growing every day, with governments cracking down on privacy (which privacy is a thing of the past), how difficult would it REALLY be to sway the public (by using the media) to believe that in order to protect the interests of our country, that you have to be implanted with a 'super safe chip' which will completely 'protect' you from identity theft.

especially if a major hacker attack destroys payment infrastructure.. it wouldnt be that difficult at all. Perhaps maybe two or three generations until its the 'norm'.

so how would it happen? at first it would be an optional implant. then, over the decades, people who dont have one will be taxed slightly higher for every day things. then, evetually, people with implants would get tax breaks, government benefits, etc etc. entice the public.

after that, make it so difficult to buy things without one, that your family caves in and just gets the implant.

Edited by XRPto50dollars

31 minutes ago, XRPto50dollars said:

with this, the next logical step forward would be some sort of an implant device. why carry credit cards when all you have to do is swipe your hand?

scary thing is.. it already is in the works:

wouldnt it be easier to just use fingerprint recognition?

22 minutes ago, bluedalmatian said:

wouldnt it be easier to just use fingerprint recognition?

that would be backwards.

with implants, the information is cryptographically encrypted in the implant inside you.

with a fingerprint, that data would have be stored on a server somewhere else, off-body.