Sign in to follow this  
JoelQuinn

CFCon USA 2018 / Chris Larsen

1 hour ago, ripplelab said:

Pay attention to the 4:00 mark.  He clarifies RippleNet.  Its a culmination of 3 products.  I think we all are missing a very obvious fact and that every announcement of new RippleNet deals is that they sign for production contracts for all 3 products xCurrent, xRapid, xVia.

This isn’t really news though.  It’s well documented that the move from xcurrent or XVia over to xrapid is almost as easy as flipping a switch.  As far as I’m aware the only documented limitation toward realizing additional massive savings is firms have to trim the fat of legacy back office systems and personnel.  Without doing this the savings will likely be minimal.  Coming back to your point here I’d be shocked if when integrating xcurrent the implementation team at Ripple didn’t also demonstrate the advantages of xrapid for them before having them sign any paperwork.  

When he says at 4:25 "with atomic settlement"... can someone explain how Atomic Settlement is achieved here, or what definition of "atomic settlement" he is using?

I thought ILP ended up with Universal Mode, so was wondering if RippleNet as a network is somehow achieving atomic settlement?

Ok, I found this...

On 1/30/2018 at 7:26 PM, mDuo13 said:

ILPv4 is fantastically simple, and I can't wait to see more services using and implementing it. It's really versatile and I love how the model has evolved over time to become even more compatible and generic.

I can't divulge our future plans for xCurrent, but I can clarify any confusion on the current tech. As of right now, the latest xCurrent release does not use ILPv4; it still uses a proprietary Atomic Mode ILP variant and has its own validators (formerly called notaries). Part of signing on to RippleNet is signing contracts defining how you choose xCurrent Validators (any xCurrent installation where you provide liquidity between multiple currencies or institutions, you also run an xCurrent Validator).

I believe the long-term plan is to continue developing both the tech and the ecosystems for ILP universal mode and atomic mode until they meet in the middle. Once they do, plugging atomic mode and universal mode together should be easy compared to what it takes to plug existing ledgers together.