Sign in to follow this  
Guest Haydentiff

Applicant Tracking Systems (job applications)

Guest Haydentiff

There is a fintech position that I'm interested in applying for, but I'm worried about my resume being sent into an applicant tracking system black hole.  I've read a few helpful articles with suggestions on how to "beat" the ATS and I'm rewriting my resume. There is one suggestion that I'm wondering about though:

"ATS’ require cold conformity and simplicity. Therefore, you’ll need to delete any extra touches you’ve added to your resume, like logos, pictures, symbols, and shadings. Also stick to standard resume formatting in a normal font like Arial, Courier, or Times New Roman—the ATS can’t read fancy fonts and will reject your resume out of confusion. Send your resume as a Word doc or in rich text format instead of a PDF. Though ATS software is becoming better at reading PDFs, it can still miss important things when trying to process them."

Does anyone know how true this is? I ask because I bought a special template that is almost entirely what this says *not* to use. (Oops!)

Is a simple Word doc the way to go?

Guest Haydentiff

Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence, @Morty!  I'll give the regular way of applying a chance first and circle back to your idea if I get desperate. :P  It actually reminds me of a joke I heard not too long ago:

I was in a job interview today when the manager handed me his laptop and said, "I want you to try and sell this to me."

So I put it under my arm, walked out of the building and went home.

Eventually he called and said, "Bring it back here right now!"

I said, "$100 and it's yours."

8 hours ago, Haydentiff said:

There is a fintech position that I'm interested in applying for, but I'm worried about my resume being sent into an applicant tracking system black hole.  I've read a few helpful articles with suggestions on how to "beat" the ATS and I'm rewriting my resume. There is one suggestion that I'm wondering about though:

"ATS’ require cold conformity and simplicity. Therefore, you’ll need to delete any extra touches you’ve added to your resume, like logos, pictures, symbols, and shadings. Also stick to standard resume formatting in a normal font like Arial, Courier, or Times New Roman—the ATS can’t read fancy fonts and will reject your resume out of confusion. Send your resume as a Word doc or in rich text format instead of a PDF. Though ATS software is becoming better at reading PDFs, it can still miss important things when trying to process them."

Does anyone know how true this is? I ask because I bought a special template that is almost entirely what this says *not* to use. (Oops!)

This is true, but it depends mostly on how PDF files are produced.

Text in PDF files can be converted to paths ("graphics") and then they can't "recover" it back. But even if the text is not converted to paths, you can have issues with ligatures ("fl" is inserted as one letter "fl" and not as two separate letters f and l). Some software can't handle ligatures at all.

8 hours ago, Haydentiff said:

Is a simple Word doc the way to go?

Yes.

Guest Haydentiff
4 minutes ago, T8493 said:

Text in PDF files can be converted to paths ("graphics") and then they can't "recover" it back. But even if the text is not converted to paths, you can have issues with ligatures ("fl" is inserted as one letter "fl" and not as two separate letters f and l). Some software can't handle ligatures at all.

Thanks!

Actually, it looks like the template can be modified as a Word doc. Will "extra touches" in a Word file cause the same problems?

https://creativemarket.com/RefineryResumeCo/123839-Resume-Template-4-Pack-CV-Template

5 minutes ago, Haydentiff said:

Will "extra touches" in a Word file cause the same problems?

If you would send them docx file, then probably not.

But you'll probably have to embed your (special) fonts in a word document.

Edited by T8493

9 hours ago, Haydentiff said:

an applicant tracking system black hole

I know what you're talking about - most of the major employers use them, too, or else bypass them and go with body shops (consulting agencies that do the vetting for them).  I would avoid applying at any position where they use an ATS. 

These things won't die unless qualified people stop using them. 

Guest Haydentiff
1 minute ago, Hodor said:

I would avoid applying at any position where they use an ATS. 

How do you have any way of knowing?  I assumed "Apply Now" buttons were really ATS buttons.

29 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I would avoid applying at any position where they use an ATS. 

ATS is just a CRM specialized for applicant tracking.

2 hours ago, T8493 said:

ATS is just a CRM specialized for applicant tracking.

Yeah, I know its software... my point is, the way it works now is not great, especially for positions where there's a lot of other applicants.  most likely, the last interaction you have with that opportunity is a "submit" button.  Not good for getting your foot in the door. 

I recommend using your network, a placement service (or consulting agency), or something in the brick-and-mortar world.  ATS = no response. 

Guest Haydentiff
1 hour ago, Hodor said:

ATS = no response. 

I'm sure I was the only one clever enough to Google "how to beat ATS."  :P

Sign in to follow this