T800

For the last time, Ripple created XRP

https://prestonbyrne.com/2018/09/20/for-the-last-time-ripple-created-xrp/

There has been a meme propagated in recent months by the folks over at Ripple Labs. That meme is that the token XRP has absolutely nothing to do with Ripple Labs the company and that the protocol that runs XRP is totally decentralized, à la Bitcoin.

I found this.

Wanted to see what other's think of it. 

If its already been posted, please delete. 

Edited by T800

Yes, I wonder why he does not like Ripple:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monax

In November 2016 SWIFT, an 11,000-member financial market infrastructure provider, announced two blockchain prototypes, automating a corporate bond and ISO 20022 messaging, both using Monax's software.

:wacko2:

Edited by mandelbaum

XRP was created by David Swartz, Arthur Britto, and Jed McCaleb. Before Ripple the company was formed. Jed of course is no longer a part of the ripple team. But David and I believe Arthur are still there

Edited by Kpuff

Someone had to make it right? What will it take for Preston Bryne to be happy? A big bang happened between a few networked computers and XRP was the result? I bet even in this scenario we'll have people complaining that Ripple stumbled upon a speck of garbled XRP code and not the yeti.

XRP was gifted to Ripple and thats the narrative their legal team is sticking to.

Meanwhile, XRP is at the cusp of real world utilization.

Reading that document it does say that the virtual currency is called ripple. Very interesting maybe it really was called ripple. And the fact that it was created before ripple labs does make sense. That's why they started a company called ripple labs because they use the currency. If anybody has any insight on this. This could be a real good conversation starter

4 minutes ago, mandelbaum said:

Ripplepay was created by Ryan Fugger in 2004, XRP was created when they ran a company called Open Coin. XRP was premined before they started Ripple Labs.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-letters-XRP-stand-for-or-why-does-Ripple-Labs-call-it-XRP

Excellent information sir. I never knew that the x stood for not country ownership. And it was called ripple at it's inception but the term is not used very often now. I love learning thanks

It is an interesting read.  I agree, in part with his point: Ripple's distance from XRP has been overstated at times from its supporters lately, but there also seems to be a conflation of software, credits/tokens and ownership.  Does a token exist if it is not being traded?  His argument rests on the token being moved on the ledger, but doesn't address the freedom of validators other than the 2, poor tweets.

Edited by WrathofKahneman

It is an interesting read.  I agree, in part with his point: Ripple's distance from XRP has been overstated at times from its supporters lately, but there also seems, first glance, to be a conflation of software, credits/tokens and ownership.  Does a token exist if it is not being traded?  His argument rests on the token being moved on the ledger, but doesn't address the freedom of validators other than the 2, poor tweets.

Yep, also to my understanding it were a few guys that invented the xrp ledger with its 100b tokens. After that point in time, they went seeking for a ceo to create the startup opencoin. One can discus if those guys donated xrp and the ledger or if opencoin donated some xrp to its inventors but it was the inventor of the xrpledger who created a company and not a company who created a ledger
The ledger was there first, before the company

4 hours ago, Kpuff said:

XRP was created by David Swartz, Arthur Britto, and Jed McCaleb. Before Ripple the company was formed. Jed of course is no longer a part of the ripple team. But David and I believe Arthur are still there

I thought only David was at Ripple and Arthur was at Polysign