Kaidan

U.S. Judge Says Initial Coin Offering Covered by Securities Law

It seems from the article that the digital coins represented shares in ownership of real estate and diamonds.   That seems like a security to me so the ruling is not surprising.  XRP in no way represents an ownership interest in Ripple the company.  From an objective point of view (which is not always the view taken by the government), it seems that the odds of xrp being labeled a security are about 1% IMO.  

I think this is good news, and a prelude to XRP being deemed not a security.

4 minutes ago, JaseEffect said:

I think this is good news, and a prelude to XRP being deemed not a security.

The precedent is important because it has to say why an ICO is a security.  It narrows down the argument. Maybe we can have some of the lawyers in here give us some insight?

1 minute ago, Kaidan said:

The precedent is important because it has to say why an ICO is a security.  It narrows down the argument. Maybe we can have some of the lawyers in here give us some insight?

The opinion will be useful

10 minutes ago, Alluvial said:

It seems from the article that the digital coins represented shares in ownership of real estate and diamonds.   That seems like a security to me so the ruling is not surprising.  XRP in no way represents an ownership interest in Ripple the company.  From an objective point of view (which is not always the view taken by the government), it seems that the odds of xrp being labeled a security are about 1% IMO.  

Thankx for the insight, your point of view plus the quality of your posting(s)!:)

12 minutes ago, Sarnos said:

I am anyways always a bit amused why this whole space is so US centric - is really most of the money coming into crypto from the US?

I assume it is because the USD is what rules the world at the moment...but again, just an assumption