Sign in to follow this  
WhentheBoat_ComesIn

Rippled v1.1.0 is primed for upgrade. Is this the version needed for xRapid to be released?

2 minutes ago, lucky said:

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

xRapid only use XRP payment, not paymentchanel escrow checks etc, payment is base transaction of  XRP ledger from day one. 

10 minutes ago, yxxyun said:

xRapid only use XRP payment, not paymentchanel escrow checks etc, payment is base transaction of  XRP ledger from day one. 

We really have no idea yet how xRapid works internally, and for example, how it preserves transaction privacy, and whether or not Ripple's own XRP pool is somehow involved in it, or will be involved in it. Also, the connection that is now being built between xRapid, xCurrent and xVia ("convergence"), might need certain new features of the ledger.

I can't imagine valuable developer time is devoted to ledger features that do NOT advance the integrations of their three solutions in some meaningful way. While building those integrations, the way xRapid works may shift.

While xRapid is in beta, nothing about it is carved in stone.

Edited by lucky

19 minutes ago, lucky said:

We really have no idea yet how xRapid works internally, and for example, how it preserves transaction privacy, and whether or not Ripple's own XRP pool is somehow involved in it, or will be involved in it. Also, the connection that is now being built between xRapid, xCurrent and xVia ("convergence"), might need certain new features of the ledger.

I can't imagine valuable developer time is devoted to ledger features that do NOT advance the integrations of their three solutions in some meaningful way. While building those integrations, the way xRapid works may shift.

well, ripple said xRapid use XRP move between exchanges,  just normal XRP payment on XRP ledger, the others are off-ledger , not related to rippled. 

Edited by yxxyun

xRapid is in production use *right now*, and has been for several months, built on whatever previous rippled versions were in use at that time. That being the case, it follows therefore that its current use is not dependent on any future upgrades to rippled. As @lucky has said however, we do not know what future features are planned for xRapid, and how these may or may not be affected by future rippled upgrades.  But even including that caveat, the subject title of this thread is unintentionally misleading, as it is based on misunderstanding the present, known situation and relationships between xRapid and rippled.

24 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

xRapid is in production use *right now*, and has been for several months, built on whatever previous rippled versions were in use at that time. That being the case, it follows therefore that its current use is not dependent on any future upgrades to rippled. As @lucky has said however, we do not know what future features are planned for xRapid, and how these may or may not be affected by future rippled upgrades.  But even including that caveat, the subject title of this thread is unintentionally misleading, as it is based on misunderstanding the present, known situation and relationships between xRapid and rippled.

Shhhh... noone knows that xRapid live/production..  you cause panic

37 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

I was under the impression xrapid would go into production later this year.  Can you provide a link to something that proves xrapid is live now? Ie something from a Ripple source ? 

Edited by Busa_

53 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

xRapid is in beta, and I believe people are talking about xRapid to go out of beta.

Edited by mikkelhviid
Explaination

@Busa_ https://ripple.com/insights/first-pilot-results-for-xrapid/

There are also examples on this forum of people trying to track the transactions related to the above, as well as statements from Ripple employees describing exactly how xRapid is in operation at this time.

@mikkelhviid Indeed, it would appear so.  To me "production use" means real clients actual money is being moved around, and that has definitely been happening already throughout this year no matter the development-cycle designation given to the software being used to do that.

To anyone confused by this - let's get clear:  if a new piece of video editing software came out in a beta version, and Pixar used it to edit their latest feature film together, this beta version of this video editing software will have been used in production.  In general there is a difference between the terms we use to describe the developmental state of a piece of software, and the terms we use to describe what people use the software for.  We need two sets of terms because the concepts they represent are separate and distinct and can and are discussed without any necessary dependence upon one another.  I can say "Vidiot v1.0 is being used in production!" or I can say "Vidiot v1.0 has moved from beta into full release!" and the two sentences describe different concepts, just as they would (should...) for xRapid.

58 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

@Busa_ https://ripple.com/insights/first-pilot-results-for-xrapid/

There are also examples on this forum of people trying to track the transactions related to the above, as well as statements from Ripple employees describing exactly how xRapid is in operation at this time.

@mikkelhviid Indeed, it would appear so.  To me "production use" means real clients actual money is being moved around, and that has definitely been happening already throughout this year no matter the development-cycle designation given to the software being used to do that.

To anyone confused by this - let's get clear:  if a new piece of video editing software came out in a beta version, and Pixar used it to edit their latest feature film together, this beta version of this video editing software will have been used in production.  In general there is a difference between the terms we use to describe the developmental state of a piece of software, and the terms we use to describe what people use the software for.  We need two sets of terms because the concepts they represent are separate and distinct and can and are discussed without any necessary dependence upon one another.  I can say "Vidiot v1.0 is being used in production!" or I can say "Vidiot v1.0 has moved from beta into full release!" and the two sentences describe different concepts, just as they would (should...) for xRapid.

I understand your view on what "production" means, however I would like to hear your opinion on what exactly Ripple is referring to when they state that they hope xRapid will go "live" by the end of the year.   I think most of us here are thinking in the context of Ripple's reference, and not necessarily the nuances of what "production" means.

Sign in to follow this