Sign in to follow this  
WhentheBoat_ComesIn

Rippled v1.1.0 is primed for upgrade. Is this the version needed for xRapid to be released?

4 hours ago, Professor Hantzen said:

We need two sets of terms because the concepts they represent are separate and distinct and can and are discussed without any necessary dependence upon one another.  I can say "Vidiot v1.0 is being used in production!" or I can say "Vidiot v1.0 has moved from beta into full release!" and the two sentences describe different concepts, just as they would (should...) for xRapid.

I this crypto sphere, I think "from beta into full release" has more import then "used in production", due to the fact like partnerships they have been misused even go as far as telling the words have been ***** by the crypto community to hype some low unused coin

17 hours ago, Paradox said:

I understand your view on what "production" means, however I would like to hear your opinion on what exactly Ripple is referring to when they state that they hope xRapid will go "live" by the end of the year.   I think most of us here are thinking in the context of Ripple's reference, and not necessarily the nuances of what "production" means.

Do you have a source for that?  I found many bloggers / crypto "media" websites using the term but could only find one "official" source when Sagar Sarbhai stated a couple of banks would "go live" with xRapid by the end of the year. As far as I can tell that is indeed what happened, if he meant the ones that subsequently began using the beta in production.

I guess from this "going live" to Ripple people is analogous to using xRapid "in production". Or, without any terminology:  using xRapid to move real customer funds around.

19 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

Do you have a source for that?  I found many bloggers / crypto "media" websites using the term but could only find one "official" source when Sagar Sarbhai stated a couple of banks would "go live" with xRapid by the end of the year. As far as I can tell that is indeed what happened, if he meant the ones that subsequently began using the beta in production.

I guess from this "going live" to Ripple people is analogous to using xRapid "in production". Or, without any terminology:  using xRapid to move real customer funds around.

@Professor Hantzen Yes I do.   Ripple themselves (start at 7:10).    In this particular source, Asheesh actually uses the term "production", and that in his view xRapid is *not* yet in production as they are still trying to perfect the customer experience.   Pay particular attention at 7:40 as well.   

40 minutes ago, Paradox said:

@Professor Hantzen Yes I do.   Ripple themselves (start at 7:10).    In this particular source, Asheesh actually uses the term "production", and that in his view xRapid is *not* yet in production as they are still trying to perfect the customer experience.   Pay particular attention at 7:40 as well.   

Thanks! Great source.  He's SVP of Product so he really should know the terminology they're using internally.  Actually this concerns me slightly, as I had the impression these pilots were ongoing, but it sounds almost as if they've wound down, though that could be my misinterpretation.  It's just concerning as it sounds like the pilots were things that came and went and the product now requires more work.  Ripple does have a history of pivoting on major issues, which I don't see as a bad thing (Apple does too and they're not doing too badly).  But it does make me wonder if xRapid is not as ready as everyone hopes.

Maybe its just one of those things - someone asked them a question, and so they used the same terminology as the questioner in response.  Well, so long as someone at some point starts using some XRP to move their customers money around and keeps on doing it, I guess we can all agree its "live", "in production", and if we must.... "released".

26 minutes ago, Professor Hantzen said:

Thanks! Great source.  He's SVP of Product so he really should know the terminology they're using internally.  Actually this concerns me slightly, as I had the impression these pilots were ongoing, but it sounds almost as if they've wound down, though that could be my misinterpretation.  It's just concerning as it sounds like the pilots were things that came and went and the product now requires more work.  Ripple does have a history of pivoting on major issues, which I don't see as a bad thing (Apple does too and they're not doing too badly).  But it does make me wonder if xRapid is not as ready as everyone hopes.

Maybe its just one of those things - someone asked them a question, and so they used the same terminology as the questioner in response.  Well, so long as someone at some point starts using some XRP to move their customers money around and keeps on doing it, I guess we can all agree its "live", "in production", and if we must.... "released".

I think that "live" or "production" means that cutomer(s) will put some of its operation(s) via xRapid on daily basis for a long time, so they will have product that be using xRapid and real people will see real benefits and this is can not be dropped like pilot, because it costs.

I totally agree with you that xRapid itself is already in production (as environment) and runs live transactiona (for pilots etc.) e.g. one example is 3 exchanges using it for liquidity (Bitso, Bittrex and some Philipinese), Cuallix uses its for internal operations to save cost, but they use real money.

Anyway, on next AMA this questions should be asked.

2 hours ago, Professor Hantzen said:

The feeling I get (based on what has been communicated by Ripple employees in AMAs and at various conferences) is that its being 'held up' by the general lack of regulatory clarity in the space, and possibly volume constraints driven by the bear market.  But in all honestly I know nothing about what is going on behind the scenes so anyone's guess is as good as mine.

I think its expected that XRP/JPY, XRP/MXN, and XRP/USD will be some of the first xRapid corridors,  but I also think XRP/THB, XRP/SGD, XRP/PHP, and XRP/CHF won't be far behind.   Keep an eye on Thailand in particular.

Sign in to follow this