Kaidan

Why does ripple include this link in the memo?

2 minutes ago, FixnUrPowerline said:

Everytime I watch it I laugh. ? To the person who did that because they have a sense of humor

To be honest, I don’t find it very funny, neither insulting.  Is it the professional image we want to be associated with Ripple? Probably not. 

A storm in a glass of water imo. 

Okay, because I have seen this at Greek and turkish weddings, I decided to run a simple test. Please note... Google "showering money Saudi wedding" lol and behold, the gif appears.

What pc Americans find offensive (like breasts on billboards) other cultures find perfectly acceptable (like Greece). You can be offended but - perhaps you need to travel more.

EDIT: I totally agree shooting guns off during a wedding party is nuts, but hey... It's not my money, or my guns, or my wedding.

What I can't help but notice is that this steers me back towards the fritz the bear video regarding crypto and the Saudi dream of technologically advanced cities.

We've known about the UAE and other regional banks trialing since February. Perhaps this is a sign of commitment? Oh boy where's my tinfoil hat.

Edited by jag216

39 minutes ago, spondulix said:

If this is coming from an internal source then it is unprofessional, ****** behaviour.

It's not.  It's clear that it's actually one of us.  Someone claimed responsibility earlier.  I like the image.

I agree there may be a problem in future with offensive material but I don't think anything can be done about it.  Last time this issue pooped up the media grabbed it for a while and said there was **** permanently in the blockchain...  which is actually true.  But big deal.  You have to go looking for it,  and it's in lots of easier to find places on the interwebs if you want to go looking.  Big deal.

Lets just move on folks...

1 hour ago, jag216 said:

There's no accounting for taste - particularly in comedy. But anyone can push a closed escrow. Sukrim has brought this to light ages ago.

In general, it is a cultural curiosity. I'm looking for the source because it's just... A strange cultural expression. I'd like to understand the context of it. Because I'm not from that culture and am not in a position to judge it on it's own terms. And my sensitivities may not apply in the same way.

I’m not Middle Eastern, but I was raised in Hindu religion/culture. In weddings it is customary to shower both the bride and groom with money, they even shower the bride with gold as well. It’s to symbolize good luck and wishes for a prosperous future. This is normal for us. 

The Saudi’s shooting guns and showering money is probably the same...symbolic of strength and prosperity. 

I can agree that the image is unprofessional, but it seems to have been a random member from the community. It's a public ledger and any member of the public can edit it. I do not think the correct approach to prevent this, is to censor(or remove) the transactions. I believe one of the intents behind Cobalt is a mechanism to detect censorship, which is potentially worse that some random gif that someone posts.

Perhaps a better solution, is to automate the release of the escrow finish transaction on the exact ledger that it's able to be released. With the random nature of rippled's transaction ordering process, any transaction applied to that exact ledger would have a chance of being the one that the validators select first. If there are more positive messages than negative, then it's more likely that a positive memo will be the one adopted by the validators. 

6 hours ago, Rey said:

Well, if anyone can release the escrows and anyone can add insulting material or worse to the ledger, then I think there should be a way to clean the ledger from that pollution.

I really don't think we'd want it to be so easy for people to bring the XRP ledger and Ripple into disrepute. This is not about who to blame, but about how to improve the XRP ecosystem ... just my XRP 0.02

That's not going to happen. You can't selectively remove things from the ledger. That's blockchain. 

But on the other hand, take comfort in knowing that the account holder that had done or does this kind of thing, can forever be held accountable as the individual who spammed the escrow. 

It's a double-edged sword. 

3 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

That's not going to happen. You can't selectively remove things from the ledger. That's blockchain. 

But on the other hand, take comfort in knowing that the account holder that had done or does this kind of thing, can forever be held accountable as the individual who spammed the escrow. 

It's a double-edged sword. 

Hey LordVetinari, thanks, well, I understand where that comes from, though I really really think that we never ever should allow a technical implementation to rule our lives instead of the other way around. The best way to prevent learning something new is to think upfront that you already know all about it.

9 hours ago, jag216 said:

Okay, because I have seen this at Greek and turkish weddings, I decided to run a simple test. Please note... Google "showering money Saudi wedding" lol and behold, the gif appears.

What pc Americans find offensive (like breasts on billboards) other cultures find perfectly acceptable (like Greece). You can be offended but - perhaps you need to travel more.

EDIT: I totally agree shooting guns off during a wedding party is nuts, but hey... It's not my money, or my guns, or my wedding.

What I can't help but notice is that this steers me back towards the fritz the bear video regarding crypto and the Saudi dream of technologically advanced cities.

We've known about the UAE and other regional banks trialing since February. Perhaps this is a sign of commitment? Oh boy where's my tinfoil hat.

Well, it was a really bad example for you talking about Americans being tense about nudity. Do you know anything about gender equality in Saudi Arabia?? But they are very progressive, just recently women were given allowance to drive. Perhaps in 2038 they might be allowed to show a naked ankle without being thrown in prison. 

Pretty bizarre that this thread has spawned 4+ pages of replies. It's completely inconsequential whether it's Ripple or a member of the public. I don't find it offensive or unprofessional in either case - it's a joke relating to obscene amounts of money. If it wasn't obscene or mildly offensive it wouldn't work as a joke. It may be a little childish, but it's comparably childish to find it offensive imo.

13 hours ago, jag216 said:

Gona be alot of scratches on those cars, or neighbour cars once gravity makes it´s force known to the bullets. Or maybe they are blanks? I would at least stay under some sort of a roof.