Kaidan

Malicious use of coil web monetization

I just finished reading @Hodor‘s Latest blog and it got me thinking about malicious use of coil web monetization. 

We all know people will find ways to steal money. The more technology allows us to move money, the more creative the theft becomes. 

So what I understand so far, coil allows content providers to get paid by charging for the amount of time someone spends watching/reading said content. This is an automatic function when you have a coil payment account active on your browsers, and the content provider has a coil account to receive the payment. 

What if someone wrote malicious code to hijack your web browser to open pages you have no interest in?  I know we have the power to stop pop up windows built in already. I’m not someone who puts much thought into how to steal money ? but I think you get the idea. 

People pay for “likes” and “views” and this was such a problem for YouTube they had to address the issue. The boosting by paid views affected which videos were trending. 

How will coil prevent paying for content we don’t want?  I know when you sign up it’s only $5 a month flat rate so it won’t hurt the payor, but coil said they would pay the content creators from their end if we go over our $5 subscription. 

Posted (edited)

I get what you're saying. I bet there will be solutions by the time this service evolves.

Just a quick thought: If Coil is subscription based they could easily let their users make a choice to opt-in or opt-out for different content. So malicious people will have to hack the e-mail, account and computer.

E-mail is in most cases the single point of failure. Get acces to an e-mail = get acces to multiple accounts.

Edited by RobinBaas

I’m a huge supporter of XRP and Ripple, but since this operates as a $5 monthly subscription it feels like a solution (XRP micropayments) in search of a problem. Why not just track how long patrons spend at the creator site, pay out in a special account for the creator, and wait until the creator hits some minimum (say $10) to allow withdrawal?

I'm glad this topic has been raised. I've been wondering about the problem of 'passing off' - in this context, website content copying. What is to stop someone copying the content of a popular site and charging (maybe less) for it, thus stealing revenue from the true content creator? For example, the crypto 'news' sites rip each other off all the time - Coil will only make that worse, I fear.

My question.. 

Content Provider A uses Coil for collecting funds. Content Provider A has a partner, we'll call him Consumer A. Consumer A opens a payment stream to Content Provider A's content and just leaves it open 24/7. 

How much XRP could a Consumer stream if a Consumer could stream XRP? 

If it's more than $5, there's a problem. 

7 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

My question.. 

Content Provider A uses Coil for collecting funds. Content Provider A has a partner, we'll call him Consumer A. Consumer A opens a payment stream to Content Provider A's content and just leaves it open 24/7. 

How much XRP could a Consumer stream if a Consumer could stream XRP? 

If it's more than $5, there's a problem. 

It is the same AI system programs that understand that you 2 ip adresses are doing this. It is based on time algorithms and work algorithms. Those two can define if you are trying to get around the system. Go make a video on youtube and ask your friend to click on it as much as he can. You will not earn anything; this will be removed from revenue. The idea you are talking about is old as web itself. Web is too smart now to overlook this. You know, there are programs where you automate your mouse movements on screeb to do the same; Google and Youtube very easily catch this frauds. I believe Ripple CTo David will very easily as a crypo perfectionist advice COIL how to efficiently block those , and prevent. 

On 8/30/2018 at 8:12 AM, Kaidan said:

I just finished reading @Hodor‘s Latest blog and it got me thinking about malicious use of coil web monetization. 

We all know people will find ways to steal money. The more technology allows us to move money, the more creative the theft becomes. 

So what I understand so far, coil allows content providers to get paid by charging for the amount of time someone spends watching/reading said content. This is an automatic function when you have a coil payment account active on your browsers, and the content provider has a coil account to receive the payment. 

What if someone wrote malicious code to hijack your web browser to open pages you have no interest in?  I know we have the power to stop pop up windows built in already. I’m not someone who puts much thought into how to steal money ? but I think you get the idea. 

People pay for “likes” and “views” and this was such a problem for YouTube they had to address the issue. The boosting by paid views affected which videos were trending. 

How will coil prevent paying for content we don’t want?  I know when you sign up it’s only $5 a month flat rate so it won’t hurt the payor, but coil said they would pay the content creators from their end if we go over our $5 subscription. 

You mean a human intention online got hacked? Welcome to the dark side of tech.