Liagala

Concerns about Coil data collection

2 hours ago, xrphilosophy said:

This is surprising.  I did think avoiding this type of information collection/dissemination was the point of Coil.  You pay a monthly fee to take out the big brother intermediary, and increase privacy.

That’s what they said publically (or somebody did)

1 hour ago, LordVetinari said:

Way I figure it, Google and Facebook have my data already and I got nothing out of it.

You get to use their service for free. Coil wants all of the above and still take $5 a month from you. They should be paying us $5 a month then.

36 minutes ago, Liagala said:

Would you please share their response here, and tag me in it when you do?  I'm interested in hearing what they say.  I might contact them as well about the privacy concerns, but I need to spend some time quantifying my issues.  I'd prefer to send a well-organized, articulated question rather than just ranting at them and hoping to get a good answer out of it.

Absolutely. Again, I'm right there with you. If you do decide to contact them please let me know if you would like a second voice. PM what you intend to write or ask and I could also send it. Strength in numbers.

It's unfortunate but currently, we live in a world where you have 2 choices, decline or connect and be aware of everything you're digitize. 

Coil could champion a new model and as it's participants we might be able to help shape it into something everyone can feel good about. 

To be clear, this seems very invasive. A browser extension can get at almost everything you do within a browser. It’s arguably worse than the likes of Facebook and Google for snooping, in theory. They are talking about access to your frickin  emails. Would not touch this with a rented pole.

It may be that the text is just ass covering or copy and pasted from elsewhere in case they want to add this functionality at a later time. With any luck it’s just an oversight.

Edited by spondulix

1 hour ago, xrphilosophy said:

It doesn't stand a chance.  No millenial for example is going to say hey!  I can pay to have my privacy taken away! 

Most of their parents have already sold it to Facebook and Instagram. I'm so glad my parents only had Polaroid and Kodak.

10 minutes ago, HenrySeldom said:

Instead of all this circle-jerking, can more advanced members of this forum contact Stefan Thomas, so he can come here and address these concerns directly? 

What's preventing you? Can't type with one hand? 

info@coil.com 

Edited by LordVetinari

Coil team is aware of this thread and is keeping an eye on it. 

The good ole U.S. Where anything and everything is monetized. However, looking at it from a realistic perspective, the amount of information about me/us online already is staggering. It's already too late.

The data collection websites DO usually have a "courtesy" opt-out to hide your info. I literally spent all afternoon one day, going to each website and I'm sure I still missed some. What made me even madder was that these sites offer a monthly "subscription" where they partner with other data collectors to "hide" you- as long as you pay. Thank your campaign donation prostituting Congressman for agreeing to make this legal.

Edited by Deeznutz

3 minutes ago, magX said:

Coil team is aware of this thread and is keeping an eye on it. 

I certainly hope so.  I'm very disappointed in what this service has turned out to be, and would love to see some major changes to bring it in line with what people have been hoping for - a way to fairly compensate content creators without collecting or using our data.  All that needs to be collected is my payment information, and timestamps for when I have a webpage/app belonging to said content creator open and active on my device(s).

37 minutes ago, spondulix said:

To be clear, this seems very invasive. A browser extension can get at almost everything you do within a browser. It’s arguably worse than the likes of Facebook and Google for snooping, in theory. They are talking about access to your frickin  emails. Would not touch this with a rented pole.

It may be that the text is just ass covering or copy and pasted from elsewhere in case they want to add this functionality at a later time. With any luck it’s just an oversight.

The Facebook Google and Twitter “share” buttons already track you everywhere. The model is outdated and everyone hates it. I’ll reserve final judgement until somebody clarifies but I already deleted most of my social media because of this and most younger people I know are doing the same. It would make Coil DOA for me despite its great technology which is a crying shame.

2 minutes ago, ImTheRippler said:

The Facebook Google and Twitter “share” buttons already track you everywhere. The model is outdated and everyone hates it. I’ll reserve final judgement until somebody clarifies but I already deleted most of my social media because of this and most younger people I know are doing the same. It would make Coil DOA for me despite its great technology which is a crying shame.

Yeah I know those buttons track you and I use an ad blocker. There is a line to be drawn for data harvesting, e.g. Google’s web services would not be nearly as useful if they didn’t have the user data to enhance them and people love those services. You may be wrong that millennials actually care about data collection. My feeling is that most of them probably don’t care!

Please don’t fall onto the sensationalism trap.

Taking their T&C into pieces, it all resumes to:

- Email address

- Location data & IP

- Cookies 

The fact that you use an email when opening an account does not give them access to your emails. The fact that you use your Facebook profile doesn’t give them all info on your friends (unless you are explicitly asked for it and give explicit consent).

I think they’re being extremely conservative and went through the route of acknowledging all possible risks, instead of detailing them better (which I believe they should do).

The use cases for advertising will all come from third parties that Coil could share data with

- Email > uploaded to platforms such as Facebook or Google AdWords. It’s then matched to the internal emails on F/G, so they can leverage their internal IDs for as targeting.

- Cookies > Similarly but using the device cookies instead (cookie-matching). It’s  much harder nowadays with the raise of ad blockers and safari restrictions. Advertising companies (and platforms) still rely heavily on them.

- Location data > used to refine the matches audiences. IP is also used to do probabilistic cookie matching.

Coil’s revenue model is still not fully clear. If they go through the route of taking a commission per transaction (which they should), advertising shouldn’t be a focus for them, and hence most use cases they implicitly cover themselves for on their T&C shouldn’t happen in practice.