Liagala

Concerns about Coil data collection

1 minute ago, ImTheRippler said:

If they’re gonna collect our info and sell it they should be fuckin paying us not the other way around 

I don't mind them collecting information as long as they very explicitly ask for it and state what they will do with it.

It might be that you can say no to data collection and continue using the service.

If Coil insists on being a tracker then I will not pay for it.

5 minutes ago, youngdude said:

This won't be GDPR-compliant.

They've already taken that into account.  It'll probably pass.

E. Your European Privacy Rights.

If you are a data subject in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have the right to access, rectify, or erase any personal data we have collected about you through the Service. You also have the right to data portability and the right to restrict or object to our processing of personal data we have collected about you through the Service. In addition, you have the right to ask us not to process your personal data (or provide it to third parties to process) for marketing purposes or purposes materially different than for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you. You may withdraw your consent at any time for any data processing we do based on consent you have provided to us.

To exercise any of these rights, contact us as set forth in the section entitled “Contact Us” below and specify which right you intend to exercise. We will respond to your request within 30 days. We may require additional information from you to allow us to confirm your identity. Please note that we store information as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, and may continue to retain and use the information even after a data subject request for purposes of our legitimate interests, including as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce our agreements.

If you have any issues with our compliance, you have the right to lodge a complaint with an EEA supervisory authority.

10. International Transfer.

We are based in the U.S. and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. If you are accessing the Service from outside of the U.S., please be aware that information collected through the Service may be transferred to, processed, stored, and used in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. Data protection laws in the U.S. and other jurisdictions may be different from those of your country of residence. Your use of the Service or provision of any information therefore constitutes your consent to the transfer to and from, processing, usage, sharing, and storage of your information in the U.S. and other jurisdictions as set forth in this Privacy Policy.

6 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

this is why we need e.g. global ID

distributed identity is the key to enabling the internet of value IMO

Fair EULA's are the key.

"We can collect anything and sell to anyone, you sucker" just is not fair. It's also inconsistent with the Internet of Value that I see emerging. My surfing behaviour is valuable data. If that is exchanged with a third party, that constitutes a value transfer, for which I not only request to be asked permission on a case by case basis, but also deserve to be compensated.

1 hour ago, Liagala said:

Can someone reassure me a little here?

Contact Coil directly and express your concerns if you need their service. Those are the terms, take it or leave it. Why the outrage? Just don't use it. I don't use Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. I'm doing just fine without them.