Sign in to follow this  
FreedomGundam

What is the best setting for XRP Validator

Hi,

I already run validator for almost a week, and seems okay. Everything smooth, but I have a question. My server load is very low as only like 0.1-0.2 in "top".

Is that normal? Are there any setting to utilize more resources so that I'm not wasting my CPU and memory?

Thanks

In my experience, rippled does not usually need much CPU especially when run as a validator. The main source of CPU usage for rippled is signature verification, so sending more transactions would cause an increase there.

If you leave a rippled running, it eventually uses a lot of memory for caching things, but otherwise the main things a rippled server uses a lot of are disk I/O and network bandwidth.

6 hours ago, mDuo13 said:

In my experience, rippled does not usually need much CPU especially when run as a validator. The main source of CPU usage for rippled is signature verification, so sending more transactions would cause an increase there.

If you leave a rippled running, it eventually uses a lot of memory for caching things, but otherwise the main things a rippled server uses a lot of are disk I/O and network bandwidth.

Yes, only a little, that's why I ask are there any setting that I can use to make my server work more harder? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, nikb said:

We have worked hard to make the software very efficient.Rest assured that it’s working exactly as hard as it needs to—no more and no less.

Lol... thanks for your reply... and good job.. I think XRP Ledger work very very efficient. My server load is very low that make me think it has no load.

6 hours ago, nikb said:

We have worked hard to make the software very efficient.Rest assured that it’s working exactly as hard as it needs to—no more and no less.

I must say that you guys did a good job there. Although it could also be a more stable environment from my provider, but where my rippled server used to restart itself every 3 or 4 days due to memory issues, it is now running non-stop (with the same configuration) for more then a month ?

I must say that you guys did a good job there. Although it could also be a more stable environment from my provider, but where my rippled server used to restart itself every 3 or 4 days due to memory issues, it is now running non-stop (with the same configuration) for more then a month ?

Is you memory slowly beating eaten o over time? I have swap memory that is slowing running out. Just keeping an eye on it.

5 hours ago, CoinTrek said:

Is you memory slowly beating eaten o over time? I have swap memory that is slowing running out. Just keeping an eye on it.

I am running with 6gb mem for quite some time now. The swap memory is being used completely, and not much of the 6gb is free, but it is behaving ok as far as I can tell.   

1 hour ago, jn_r said:

I am running with 6gb mem for quite some time now. The swap memory is being used completely, and not much of the 6gb is free, but it is behaving ok as far as I can tell.   

Resource usage is very low even when running a public node (>100 peers). Disk I/O and bandwidth increases somewhat proportionately.

If you are running in a virtual environment, there are two things to look into:
1) What the resource utilization on the physical host is, especially w.r.t. iowait times
2) The eagerness of the host machine to move guest memory into swap.

These things, however, can only be monitored and adjusted if the underlying physical hardware is also under your control.

48 minutes ago, alloyxrp said:

Resource usage is very low even when running a public node (>100 peers). Disk I/O and bandwidth increases somewhat proportionately.

If you are running in a virtual environment, there are two things to look into:
1) What the resource utilization on the physical host is, especially w.r.t. iowait times
2) The eagerness of the host machine to move guest memory into swap.

These things, however, can only be monitored and adjusted if the underlying physical hardware is also under your control.

I am indeed running it in a virtual environment. Happy with what I am provided with for now, but I can imagine it differs per provider:-)

On 8/24/2018 at 8:58 AM, FreedomGundam said:

Hi,

I already run validator for almost a week, and seems okay. Everything smooth, but I have a question. My server load is very low as only like 0.1-0.2 in "top".

Is that normal? Are there any setting to utilize more resources so that I'm not wasting my CPU and memory?

Thanks

On 1/8/2019 at 9:46 AM, jn_r said:

I am indeed running it in a virtual environment. Happy with what I am provided with for now, but I can imagine it differs per provider:-)

Are you running it on AWS maybe? What would be the best solution (for uptime and costs)?

15 hours ago, Dario_o said:

Are you running it on AWS maybe? What would be the best solution (for uptime and costs)?

Not on AWS, but a smaller local cloud service provider. I am running on VM. For performance it is better to run directly on hardware, but that is more costly and you have to manage a possible hardware failure, which I think with VM is handled better (comes with the VM solution). I am running VM, on SSD, 6GB Ram and rippled size 'tiny'. This is costing me +/-500 Euro p/y

There's also this: https://developers.ripple.com/capacity-planning.html

Sign in to follow this