tulo

Fair XRP - XLM comparison

Transactions Per Second:
XRP - 1500 for normal transactions, 50000 (70000?) with payment channels
XLM - 1000

Additional Features (the other ledger doesn't have it):
XRP - Payment Channels

The only detailed benchmark I could find: http://highscalability.com/blog/2017/10/2/ripple-the-most-demonstrably-scalable-blockchain.html

Edited by DavyJones
added link

Hey Tulo, good idea.  One thing that I haven’t seen much about is concerning the decentralization issues.

I’m not to fluent on the technical aspects but I have read the stellar consensus model started with decentralized validators but will always be in control of their trust nodes which actually makes them way more centralized and unable to change that due to their protocol.  Ripple on the other hand controlled most of the validators but is working on adding outside validators and removing theirs making them more decentralized over time.

i believe I first heard this mentioned by David Schwartz but I can’t seem to find that.  I took this quote from an answer I found on quora that describes it better than I was able.

“Stellar decided to decentralize it’s validated nodes (doesn’t control them like Ripple) but consolidated (read: centralized) voting rights to prevent forks. 

Ripple simply decided to manage this risk on the front end by centralizing their validator nodes but at the very least, they can decentralize those now that they’re established. That’s unlike Stellar, who will now never be able to decentralize voting because its critical to preventing hard forks in SCP.”

9 minutes ago, Hydnum said:

Hey Tulo, good idea.  One thing that I haven’t seen much about is concerning the decentralization issues.

I’m not to fluent on the technical aspects but I have read the stellar consensus model started with decentralized validators but will always be in control of their trust nodes which actually makes them way more centralized and unable to change that due to their protocol.  Ripple on the other hand controlled most of the validators but is working on adding outside validators and removing theirs making them more decentralized over time.

i believe I first heard this mentioned by David Schwartz but I can’t seem to find that.  I took this quote from an answer I found on quora that describes it better than I was able.

“Stellar decided to decentralize it’s validated nodes (doesn’t control them like Ripple) but consolidated (read: centralized) voting rights to prevent forks. 

Ripple simply decided to manage this risk on the front end by centralizing their validator nodes but at the very least, they can decentralize those now that they’re established. That’s unlike Stellar, who will now never be able to decentralize voting because its critical to preventing hard forks in SCP.”

I need to look the details of stellar consensus, but right now stellar has 72 "validators", of which only 3 are run by SDF. XRPL has 21 validators in the UNL of which 12 are controlled by Ripple.

XRP's adoption and diffusion is mainly affected by Ripple Labs, SBI, Arrington Fund and several initiatives through Xpring effort and others.

XLM's adoption is driven by efforst of SDF and to some extent IBM.

3 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

Ripple don't control non-Ripple nodes.

Yes, I agree. Sorry, I could have been clearer. Just saying they controlled most at first but have a clear plan on giving control over to others.  Just a couple more and they won’t have the majority!

XRP has a whole product suite for utilizing XRP is different ways (built by Ripple) : XCurrent, XRapid & XVia

XLM - none

Others (not built by Ripple include) : Coil & Codius (yet to see a  full fledged product from them)

Edited by whitefanng

Sometimes you have to wonder/think if certain parameters (parametric values) are reflective of the underlying limitations of the protocol, like the reserves in this instance, for example. ;)

Edited by enrique11