spiras

What if...

11 hours ago, spiras said:

What if.. the IMF wants to use XRP (or, hell, insert your own preferred digital asset) as a bridge currency to be used in cross-border exchanges between central banks around the world?

What if.. @JoelKatz or another high enough ranking member of Ripple is bearableguy123, with real inside knowledge?

What if.. the handshake deal posed by bg123 is an NDA filled agreement, already completed, where the IMF purchased the XRP escrow from Ripple and is actually in control of 55B XRP?

What if.. the IMF determined that for their project to be workable, they need control of 75% of the XRP for their purposes of distributing it between central banks?

Good post.  I've often thought that DS is BG.  The reason I think this is that he couldn't stop himself from blabbing that Ripple had signed two household names at the end of 2017.  He clearly has a softspot for retail investors and when he was less famous he contributed more to XRPchat and /r/ripple back in the day.  He's a very good communicator. 

I also think (and have said before) that the 55Bn could be used in all kinds of ways, including being given to central banks in return for liquidity and other deals.  It would open the door for XRP to go to $589 and higher without anyone becoming a paper trillionaire (which is just bad publicity and nobody needs a trillion dollars).

17 hours ago, spiras said:

Ok, with all the negativity and people being down about the current price, I would like to start this 'What if' scenario to maybe try to bring a little positive spin on what COULD be happening behind the scenes. 

I realize this will be extremely far-fetched, and I realize that there are some pessimistic people out there who won't have anything constructive to contribute.  All I ask is that if you want to be negative and create a 'sky is falling' what if scenario, you start a new thread for that. 

This is JUST FOR FUN to put a POSITIVE SPIN on things and I AM NOT in any way suggesting that this is a realistic or probable scenario.  This is just to bring a positive to what appears as very negative right now for XRP holders.

What if.. the IMF wants to use XRP (or, hell, insert your own preferred digital asset) as a bridge currency to be used in cross-border exchanges between central banks around the world?

What if.. @JoelKatz or another high enough ranking member of Ripple is bearableguy123, with real inside knowledge?

What if.. the handshake deal posed by bg123 is an NDA filled agreement, already completed, where the IMF purchased the XRP escrow from Ripple and is actually in control of 55B XRP?

What if.. the IMF determined that for their project to be workable, they need control of 75% of the XRP for their purposes of distributing it between central banks?

What if.. the previous market downturns were synchronized to provide data on how to best push down the market to allow for XRP to be not only be accumulated off exchanges by the IMF at low prices, but also to separate the coins from weak hands to even make them available for purchase?

What if.. The entire current crypto market is being artificially suppressed right now to drive prices down to free up XRP for the IMF to get to their 75% target? 

What if.. xRapid is strategically being delayed until the end of the year so the IMF has time for the accumulation rather than competing with the rest of the FI world for available XRP?

What if.. xRapid pilots and SBI were simply trials for the real agenda of central bank usage? 

What if.. Ripple still intends to focus on the payments corridor between financial institutions once the IMF begins their use of cross-border transfers.. and future of Ripple will continue to be to work with and set up banks and fi's on xRapid.

What if there is a planned announcement in late November, once the XRP accumulation is complete, that the IMF is going live with XRP in 2019, gradually stepping up inclusion of all central banks over the next 5 years?

Where do we see the price point at the end of 2018?

Just something to think about here and I welcome any other suggestions on how the below simple question could be play out: 

IF the IMF decided to use a digital asset already in existence with international support and exchange listings to be used as a bridge asset between central banks, how would they realistically go about acquiring the majority of the asset without driving the price up to levels that would render their efforts too expensive to pull off?

Please, people, I'm not looking for anyone to bash this post.  I, myself, could shred it based on conjecture, so it wouldn't impress me if you could do it, too.  What would impress me is if you could come up with other positive scenarios based on things we've been seeing and that are happening in this space.

Negative scenarios are welcome in a new topic area.

Thanks.

If that happens we will all be rich overnight and that would be the deal of the century. 

Thanks Clinton! 

1 hour ago, HNEBZA said:

handcuffed wrist released...for me Ripple annonced collaboration with SWIFT 

SWIFT on xRapid would be a perfect match for all market participants. However Brad once said it needs two for a tango ...

18 hours ago, spiras said:

What if.. xRapid pilots and SBI were simply trials for the real agenda of central bank usage? 

What if.. Ripple still intends to focus on the payments corridor between financial institutions once the IMF begins their use of cross-border transfers.. and future of Ripple will continue to be to work with and set up banks and fi's on xRapid.

What if there is a planned announcement in late November, once the XRP accumulation is complete, that the IMF is going live with XRP in 2019, gradually stepping up inclusion of all central banks over the next 5 years?

Where do we see the price point at the end of 2018?

November you say?............:popcorn1:

D56AA0FD-AE43-45FE-BEAD-8447E7780F79.thumb.png.2de8dec75ef2533877e4dfcb37d36416.png

@spiras

I've been thinking about your idea.  Please excuse my non-economist bear-of-little-brain approach, but....

What you are basically suggesting is that XRP become the global reserve currency.  I have played with the idea superficially but not thought about it much until you forced the matter.

Displacing USD as the global reserve currency would have consequences, I think, that the IMF would not ignore.  Countries that keep large reserves of USD for 'petro trade' and as a settlement mechanism would be stuck with large numbers of US dollars that would rapidly lose value.  They would want to send those dollars back to the US, but why would we want to invite hyper-inflation?  I would imagine that a huge amount of value would suddenly vanish from the world, and the US would not be the loser. US citizens would end up paying higher prices in the short term since imports would rise in price, but industry would eventually thrive and grow (after the inevitable round of chaos in the markets).

We (XRP hodlers) would make out like bandits, but I imagine that the rest of the world would probably suffer through the transition, since much of the value they now hold in USD would vanish overnight.

If there were a big economic downturn already occurring (or if one is seriously anticipated), this might be the plan; but I can't imagine the IMF pursuing this policy otherwise.  Unless there is more going on behind the scenes than we can guess?  Like a plan to deal with all the excess USD out there...

If there is a big economic downturn, then I certainly hope that Trump's 'trade war' is just a ploy and disappears quickly.  Otherwise we are in big trouble.

ETA:  But this might explain Russia's recent action to divest from US bonds.  I would expect China and Japan to make bigger plays, though, if this were the case.  But this is way out of my league.

Edited by Tyrell
Addition

13 hours ago, Tyrell said:

would be stuck with large numbers of US dollars that would rapidly lose value.

What if they buy XRP with those USD stockpiles?   OTC from Ripple as part of the deal?  Their problem is then gone...  

What price would that have XRP at?   :) 

Edit: actually the XRP would probably be IMF by then...  Ripples sold to IMF for cents on the XRP....

Edited by Tinyaccount

2 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

What if they buy XRP with those USD stockpiles?   OTC from Ripple as part of the deal?  Their problem is then gone...  

What price would that have XRP at?   :) 

Edit: actually the XRP would probably be IMF by then...  Ripples sold to IMF for cents on the XRP....

Because...that would work and solve two big problems at once.

So, that can't be the answer.?

But, seriously, that would be a terrific solution if they actually do see a big meltdown coming.  Ripple could either gift the escrowed XRP to the IMF or sell it at a very deep discount.  The IMF could then sell XRP at the newly discounted USD price; and they would make out like bandits since fiat won't drop to zero value.

Is there a mechanism to release XRP from escrow prior to the scheduled dates?  If not, how could this work?

4 minutes ago, Tyrell said:

Is there a mechanism to release XRP from escrow prior to the scheduled dates?  If not, how could this work?

No.  But the world works on IOUs anyway...  Maybe it could be staged in with notes against the reserved amounts and only the actual immediate liquidity needs met by the monthly releases...

I will stop here and admit that this is just drunken silliness on my part.  I know nothing of world finance,  and anything I say here is almost certainly complete nonsense.

Likewise with world finance and me, and this is deep tinfoil hat territory...

but, that could make some sense of Trump's tariffs.  If the tariffs were meant only as a short-term measure to shore up the steel (and other) industries and then repealed at the onset of an economic downturn while the USD is removed as the world reserve currency to be replaced by XRP, then some of the economic pain all of these changes would produce would be lessened to some extent.  And they would be lessened world-wide I would imagine.

The US would come out of the downturn in a much better position than it would otherwise.  But that scenario would also imply that the economic downturn is not expected for a few years, at least, since US industries would need time to benefit from tariffs.  During and after a worldwide depression tariffs would not be needed and would be a mistake.

Sounds way too fairytale-ish.