Where Are All the HODLers Now - Ha Ha back at ya FUD Patrol

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why would you get out now? We’ve had the best news of any DA this last year. Adoption continues, new exchanges coming on line with XRP as the base pairing. xRapid proven to work with massive savings,

My problem is I can't afford to buy more.

It feels strange to the person that is conditioned to think small, and that nothing good ever happens to them. "Negative thinkers and pessimists tend to give up sooner than their more resilient p

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

Thanks very much for that detailed reply.  Our views differ slightly on this,   and I know that you have vastly more market experience than me so it does give me pause when I see our differences.  

I think we are in agreement on points one and two.  

Our difference I think is on three...

I beg to differ slightly here...   I think there will be ongoing adoption of XRapid for a number of years.  During that time I believe there is a fairly significant chance that the actual usage and price mechanics will contribute to a generally steady uptrend. 

So if we call the next few years ‘early’ then we largely agree.  If not then I hope I am right...   :) 

I do agree that time is not a friend,  in that other players will be vying for XRP’s usecases,  but feel that a significant market share for XRapid is likely.  And that would be good enough, I think,  to be very profitable for us.

But the original point I replied to was about XRP bagholders...   I think it’s way to early to be saying that...   

When everyone in the world can move money in seconds for tiny fees, THEN if XRP is not above its current ATH will I consider we might be bagholders.

Everything in my life comes out of trading, investing and creating businesses that have cashflows. However, there were periods in life that I was in pain due to severe errors I made. They were unfortunately emotionally driven decisions,  but they disguise themselves as anything but. 

To that end, my experiences are my own. You may go through different sets of circumstances and trading opportunities, but consider whether its emotions (falling in love with the idea) or you truly looking at facts. So let me emphasize that for me specifically, the price is always the main factor.    This is what always worked. I look at price as a barometer of business.  I can give you so many examples of companies that were losing money, yet their stock was going up.  AMAZON was one of them. They lost cash flow for years. But, the price was going up except the 2008 crash. The market is also a prediction of the future.   Real estate around Brooklyn, NY started going up 20 years ago, and no one understood why in the early days. They said it's nuts to buy there, it was the "Boroughs"..yet prices were going up and still going up.  Now it's the trendy place. 

So the price has become my king. 

I like XRP.  I like the company. But, I am yet to see how their progress reflects in further liquidity.  Every year it's the same argument: "next year". 

I don't expect anyone to trust my words. I am biased.   My entry to XRP was because I chose a story. I saw the drive to ICOs, and XRP and ETH looked great.  One was a guy who wears Unicorn t-shirts, the other was talking about banks with a programmer that looked like he needs a haircut. Then you had techies, lambo talk, and many BTC parties. I thought that these two ICOs will have a parabolic move, just based on the story and crowd, not because I understood the fundamentals clearly.   So when you put in an average of 5 cents and you see around $3.00...do you change your opinion? or say "yeah, time to take some home!"  Had I know that we will have 90% correction or even thought about the correction, I would have been ALL out and not partially. Not complaining, it was still significant. This just further illustrates that it's not just knowledge of the product that counts, but you read the market and when opportunities presented themselves. 

I should have been smarter, because, past the "explosion" of FOMO, you left with dust.   My experience is always with exchange-traded products, so I tried to apply the same logic. But, coins are a territory of the so-called exchanges. In reality, they are B-Book Brokers. You lose, their gain. 

I hope I am wrong. very wrong. I hope that XRP will be in ATH mode soon. But, remember, its never about XRP per se. It's about developing the discipline in general because you are surrounded by opportunities. 

Finally, just for S&G look at a stock called ETSY, it is 100% up this year.  They sell ceramics, belts, and other homes good. Nothing sophisticated, Just a business that works. So who cares how you make your money, just stay open-minded and don't let one investment steal your mind. There are TONS of opportunities like that. Hop the ride of prices that go up, at first scary, then its fun. 

A bagholder is not just holding toxic assets, it's an investor that is frozen with one investment that closes his/her eyes to everything else. 

Edited by Spekul8
20 minutes ago, Spekul8 said:

A bagholder is not just holding toxic assets, it's an investor that is frozen with one investment that closes his/her eyes to everything else. 

The definitions I read say it's holding toxic stocks,  but your wider experience might mean you have a wider usage than the narrow definition.

On forums it does tend to have a very negative connotation,  so maybe if you don't mean to imply that,  you might use some different word in future mentions...   that's just my suggestion.

Regarding the other points you made in your excellent post above...  yes that sounds like valuable experience distilled into good advice.  Thank-you for sharing that.

32 minutes ago, Spekul8 said:

Everything in my life comes out of trading, investing and creating businesses that have cashflows. However, there were periods in life that I was in pain due to severe errors I made. They were unfortunately emotionally driven decisions,  but they disguise themselves as anything but. 

To that end, my experiences are my own. You may go through different sets of circumstances and trading opportunities, but consider whether its emotions (falling in love with the idea) or you truly looking at facts. So let me emphasize that for me specifically, the price is always the main factor.    This is what always worked. I look at price as a barometer of business.  I can give you so many examples of companies that were losing money, yet their stock was going up.  AMAZON was one of them. They lost cash flow for years. But, the price was going up except the 2008 crash. The market is also a prediction of the future.   Real estate around Brooklyn, NY started going up 20 years ago, and no one understood why in the early days. They said it's nuts to buy there, it was the "Boroughs"..yet prices were going up and still going up.  Now it's the trendy place. 

So the price has become my king. 

I like XRP.  I like the company. But, I am yet to see how their progress reflects in further liquidity.  Every year it's the same argument: "next year". 

I don't expect anyone to trust my words. I am biased.   My entry to XRP was because I chose a story. I saw the drive to ICOs, and XRP and ETH looked great.  One was a guy who wears Unicorn t-shirts, the other was talking about banks with a programmer that looked like he needs a haircut. Then you had techies, lambo talk, and many BTC parties. I thought that these two ICOs will have a parabolic move, just based on the story and crowd, not because I understood the fundamentals clearly.   So when you put in an average of 5 cents and you see around $3.00...do you change your opinion? or say "yeah, time to take some home!"  Had I know that we will have 90% correction or even thought about the correction, I would have been ALL out and not partially. Not complaining, it was still significant. This just further illustrates that it's not just knowledge of the product that counts, but you read the market and when opportunities presented themselves. 

I should have been smarter, because, past the "explosion" of FOMO, you left with dust.   My experience is always with exchange-traded products, so I tried to apply the same logic. But, coins are a territory of the so-called exchanges. In reality, they are B-Book Brokers. You lose, their gain. 

I hope I am wrong. very wrong. I hope that XRP will be in ATH mode soon. But, remember, its never about XRP per se. It's about developing the discipline in general because you are surrounded by opportunities. 

Finally, just for S&G look at a stock called ETSY, it is 100% up this year.  They sell ceramics, belts, and other homes good. Nothing sophisticated, Just a business that works. So who cares how you make your money, just stay open-minded and don't let one investment steal your mind. There are TONS of opportunities like that. Hop the ride of prices that go up, at first scary, then its fun. 

Thanks, a fair view and point well made.

Speaking from a different angle, both stocks you mention AMZN and ETSY I've owned for years, and price is not my king. But that total online user base is still expanding globally. I think many folks here invest more like that. 

With this year's mega news of the NYSE owner planning a crypto exchange, the underlying trend is clear as day 

Edited by jcdenton
On 8/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, Chewiecoin said:

@Spekul8 I’ve never understood the meaning of the term “bagholder”. I know it’s supposed to be an insult, but why?

I think the term bagholder probably refers to an investor that despite actual news that is going on around them keeps their head in the sand refusing to believe their investment will fail?

I also get that a good trader should sell in a weakening market to then reaquire that same asset in a bull market. But most of us, including me, do not understand TA well enough to take that chance so we don’t, we HODL.

I don’t know whether you were having a go at me with that comment but I do not believe I am a bag holder nor is anyone who is HODLing XRP. IMO the available information about XRP and Ripple is very strong, the future still looks very bright. Yes they’re are risks but you have that with any investment?

What do you think? Am I a bagholder for not selling in this market?

Before I answer your question, I want to tell you that I truly believe that when it comes to money we are all wired the same. This means that when it comes to fear, greed, and hope despite our IQ levels we all react the same way.  So that fact that you HODL is not a sign of human weakness, its a sign of humanity. But, in the marketplace, a place that is anti-DNA, most of the time this strategy does not serve well financially. 

Forget XRP for a minute. Do you think HODL strategy will work out in when prices go against you? I am talking about any asset. The answer is no. 

When I used the term bagholder, it was an answer to a person who asked a very specific question: When does anyone admit that they are wrong? My Answer was that many are bagholders, which I truly believe are. Therefore, he/she will not get an objective answer. In essence, it was not directed at you.  Now do I think you are a bag holder?  You have to decide that yourself.

Despite the fact that I took high profits near the ATH, I should have sold it all.  I rather live with a huge profit than to try and max it out and cry at what I missed.  So trust me, I am not claiming to be smarter than anyone here. In lieu of my experience, I should have taken it all.  I have other options, alternatives, and choices. XRP does not consume me.   In fact, we all have options. 

I decided to sell XRP near March of 2019. I would need the funds for a business I want to get into.  Let's see whats left of this asset until than. 

Edited by Spekul8
3 hours ago, Spekul8 said:

Before I answer your question, I want to tell you that I truly believe that when it comes to money we are all wired the same. This means that when it comes to fear, greed, and hope despite our IQ levels we all react the same way.  So that fact that you HODL is not a sign of human weakness, its a sign of humanity. But, in the marketplace, a place that is anti-DNA, most of the time this strategy does not serve well financially. 

Forget XRP for a minute. Do you think HODL strategy will work out in when prices go against you? I am talking about any asset. The answer is no. 

When I used the term bagholder, it was an answer to a person who asked a very specific question: When does anyone admit that they are wrong? My Answer was that many are bagholders, which I truly believe are. Therefore, he/she will not get an objective answer. In essence, it was not directed at you.  Now do I think you are a bag holder?  You have to decide that yourself.

Despite the fact that I took high profits neat the ATH, I should have sold it all.  I rather live with a huge profit than to try and max it out and cry at what I missed.  So trust me, I am not claiming to be smarter than anyone here. In lieu of my experience, I should have taken it all.  I have other options, alternatives, and choices. XRP does not consume me.   In fact, we all have options. 

I decided to sell XRP near March of 2019. I would need the funds for a business I want to get into.  Let's see whats left of this asset until than. 

Thank you for your thoughts!

On 8/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, Zerptime said:

I don't really why some people would blame other people or the zerpening for their loss! I do agree this forum and the zerpening are all overly optimistic but to me it's all fun and good, shldnt take it too seriously!

Nobody is forcing you to click on the buy button! Just use this place for latest xrp news like I do and some healthy debates but also look at other sources because usually only good news here a discussed properly

I soundly agree, but it seems this forum does hatw on the negative posts and give love to the positive ones in a exponential fashion.

How someone can be all roses as their investmest falls 90% is strange and that so many others support this thinking is equally strange.

So, who is wrong? The negative posters who are not happy or the FOMO smiley face bunch who say "great buying opp" at every new low?

22 minutes ago, Pumper said:

So, who is wrong? The negative posters who are not happy or the FOMO smiley face bunch who say "great buying opp" at every new low?

The probability is very high that most of the negative posters bought high, were hoping for easy money and were not emotionally equipped to handle a fall of this magnitude. The probability is very high that the positive posters are predominantly focused on the long term vision, have researched far more than Joe Average, are comfortable to keep accumulating and have the patience to see this eco-system mature.

I really think this is a last ditch, suicide mission by buttcoin supremacist. They know if this market gets institutional there will be more analysis and questioning of its use, speed, cost, and in the long run it's pretty fing useless. They could just hop on the next best thing, xrp, but it's owners are young, nerdy, stubborn, dorks that can't let go. 

Its okay kids, lose your virginity, let buttcoin free. Come over to the winning club, Ripple.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:10 AM, Spekul8 said:

You seem like a reasonable guy, and I also respect the way you took your time to construct an opposing view without offending me. I appreciate that, and you deserve a fair explanation. 

1) The market does not make the masses rich. To assume that most here will walk away with riches would be against the market's nature. If the market goes back up, many will sell at B/E with a sigh of relief. This is a 99% lose versus a 1% who gain. XRP will not be different.  The market will filter out and smoke out the last of the weak hands whether it is 10 cents or a quarter of a cent.  

2) The market is not dragging down XRP. The market is trying to find a new equilibrium for utility coins while removing coins that have no utility. It is being repriced, and we will bounce from this to fair prices, and volatility will subside. I mentioned in other threads that we may go back to average gains of 8% to 10% per year on all significant cryptos.  There could be significant rallies in between, but the averages will stay the averages.  If there are big rallies, BTW, it will be a gift from the markets to give people a chance to bail out. 

3) The early days are the one that gives you the opportunity to gain the most; After that, you have regulation, competition and other variables that could keep price sideways. Time is not a friend now, it is a foe and those who comfort themselves in time are just trading/investing in chance. 

Bravo! My thinking resonates with yours. And as a side note, I highly value any speck of dispassionate analysis over passionate pro-and-contra ****'isis, that abounds.

22 minutes ago, rom said:

For the sake of objectivity some unrealistically optimistic specimen, e.g. the "5,02 in sixteen days" and its genital-headed author should also be included.

Why? This thread is an optimistic redress to the litany of negativity that besets this sub-board.

Edited by OzAlphaWolf
7 hours ago, Pumper said:

I soundly agree, but it seems this forum does hatw on the negative posts and give love to the positive ones in a exponential fashion.

How someone can be all roses as their investmest falls 90% is strange and that so many others support this thinking is equally strange.

Not strange at all to be positive about an investment. Is blockchain technology dead is? Is the crypto market dead? I don’t think so.

Being positive about the future of an investment is not strange even in a big bear market like this one.

There is no right and wrong to being positive or negative, I just know which camp I would rather be. 

Edited by Chewiecoin
14 minutes ago, Chewiecoin said:

Being positive about the future of an investment is not strange even in a big bear market like this one.

It feels strange to the person that is conditioned to think small, and that nothing good ever happens to them.

"Negative thinkers and pessimists tend to give up sooner than their more resilient positive counterparts. Some pessimists even 'use' their pessimism as a way of being proved right ("See, I told you it wouldn't work!"). This is not as odd as it might seem. Taking this stance allows them to feel as if they have some control over things"

-Mark Tyrell, Step 1- 10 Steps to Overcoming Negativity (2012)

Woodshedding your way through these steps can be one hell of a workout - if you have the balls to face yourself in the mirror:

1 - Stop Negative Thinking

2 - Coping With Feeling Down

3 - Stop Self Sabotage

4 - Stop Complaining

5 - Dealing With Disappointment

6 - Dealing With Guilt

7 - See The Best In Others

8 - No Regrets

9 - Improve Your Mood

10 - No Excuses

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.