slinuxuzer

Ripple IS working with the U.N. - Proof?

A tweet recently caught my attention about the Bill and Melinda gates foundation possibly being live on the XRP Ledger in this tweet there were some interesting transactions in a currency I hadn't seen before called UPU - the wallet is - rMHSvqV83BhFDhkQtXELxNYyyhq776dhzG - so using a wallet explorer application I noticed other transactions and obligations connected to this wallet using similar codes such as UPA, UPC, UPY etc. 
After some digging, I determined that UPU in this case stands for "Universal Postal Union", which I had never heard of, on their site www.upu.int I found language that describes them as
"As an intergovernmental organization and a United Nations specialized agency, the UPU is the principal forum for cooperation between governments, designated operators, and other sector-wide stakeholders."
The mention of the United Nations caught my eye because recently Ripple released a marketing video where the U.N. headquarters building in New York city is featured in one of the scenes, and just happens to capture the Korean flag, Mexican flag, and Japanese flag next to each other (all key markets for XRP), but still I wondered what would a postal organization have to do with Ripple and XRP? Well it seems the answer is right there on UPUs website. Here are some direct quotes from the UPU site.
"According to a UPU study, postal operators provide some 1.5 billion people worldwide with access to basic financial services (payments, money transfers, and savings)."
"The postal network, through its worldwide coverage and the combination of electronic, financial and physical dimensions, ensures that all citizens of the world have access to efficient, reliable, secure and affordable electronic payment services. The postal network comprises more than 663,000 physical contact points offering remittances and is traditionally a more affordable formal financial services channel compared to banks, money transfer operators and others."
"It is the UPU's mission to help build a worldwide electronic postal payment network. It does this in the form of an international treaty, known as the Postal Payment Services Agreement and its Regulations, and through its Postal Technology Centre's International Financial System (IFS) software."
This suite of software tools allows postal operators to offer electronic postal payment services, providing state-of-the-art guarantees to secure payments between operators and protecting the interests of consumers, senders and beneficiaries alike. These are complemented with the UPU trademark “PostTranfer”, the automated clearing and settlement system (PPS*Clearing) and a set of additional tools for business and quality support."
"The UPU provides Posts with the necessary technical and financial assistance toward activities and programmes that are coordinated on the regional level. Joint projects are also being managed in partnership with various international organizations, among others the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, International Fund for Agricultural Development, International Organization for Migration, World Bank, World Savings and Retail Banking Institute and Visa.
The projects' scope covers a variety of assistance, including equipment and technical support, connectivity, security, fraud prevention, Anti-money laundering, Combating the financing of terrorism TF, business development and marketing, cash and risk management, internal control, skills management, customer care and operational matters, taking into account the specific needs of Posts. As a result, more and more Posts are able to transform into sustainable, modern and competitive enterprises in the new ecosystem."
So after reading this I was very surprised by several points, first that the UPU is actively working towards building a global payments system through the 663,000 physical postal points of contact, but also that this seems to be in collaboration with the Bill and Melinda gates foundation, Visa and The World Bank. That is truly amazing, my thoughts here go back to the announcement made last year during Ripple's Swell conference about MojaLoop and the collaboration between the Bill and Melinda Gates's foundation and Ripple. There wasn't a lot of information given about the project, but it was clear that the high level objective was to bring financial services to the unbanked and it seems that maybe the UPU and the existing postal system are key to the delivery side of this solution.
Next, I found a link for "UPU Clearing" I'll just provide a quote direct form the site here also.
"UPU*Clearing is the UPU's efficient, low-cost solution for settling international accounts between Posts.
Members simply consolidate their invoices using the system's centralized online platform and pay their debts with one easy payment per month in euros (EUR) and/or United States dollars (USD).
The interface also allows them to comment on, change, accept or refuse electronic bills via a discussion platform.
Some 47 countries already use the system to handle bills related to terminal dues, Quality of Service Fund (QSF) payments, the UPU's Postal Technology Centre (PTC), and more, allowing them to reap benefits such as:"
A couple of things caught my eye here, it seems that UPU members are requited to settle up at least once a month in either USD or EUR, that's very interesting, but I also notice that it states the UPU clearing / payments system currently has 47 memeber countries, UPU has a couple hundred members but only 47 are currently part of UPU clearing. This number caught my eye because I do remember Brad Garlinghouse and other Ripple executives using this as the number of Central Banks that Ripple is working with, later they started using the language "40 - 50 Central Banks", but I am certain 47 was the number they used for a while.
Also, in regards to UPU clearing, the site provides a brochure that describes the service, so I open that up and there is a graphic that states in 2017 there were "78M EUR + 154M USD = 175M SDR" cleared through the system - this I find extremely interesting because I don't know a currency that uses the symbol SDR, but the IMF has "Special Drawing Rights" which are commonly refereed to as SDR, I won't get into what IMF and SDR are, but I'll provide some links at the end.
Lastly, the site also includes a TradeMark License agreement that seems to be intended to be used by member countries wishing to use the internationally registered trademark "UPU" and it goes into some detail as to how you should display the TradeMark for a variety of uses, including mobile applications.
What does all this mean? 
At a minimum I think it means that there is real progress on the Micro-Payments / Unbanked use case, along with what seems to be a real partnership with a "United Nations Specialized Agency", but if you wanted to take the theory a little further, you could wonder why the settlement currencies are USD / EUR? And why the number of member countries seems to align very well with the number of Central Banks Ripple is working with and of course the many connections between IMF / World Bank and the Central Banks. 
So I don't think its a huge stretch to imagine we could see Central Banks hold XRP in the near future or even become market makers for XRP. I realize that opinion is likely to stir up some controversy, but I believe there are enough facts that make it not fall under the "TFH" category.
Also, sort of interesting, there have been multiple mentions of Malta now being the biggest XRP market, including in Ripple's Q2 market report, Malta is an interesting case as they have permanent observer status in the U.N.
https://twitter.com/1980SteveH36/status/1024969090698502144?s=20

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/postal-financial-services/about-postal-financial-services.html
http://www.upu.int/en/activities/upuclearing/about-upuclearing.html
http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdownloader/brochureUpuClearingEn.pdf
http://www.upu.int/en/activities/postal-financial-services/postransfer-group/about-postransfer-group.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Monetary_Fund
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_drawing_rights

Always been saying that global postal services could become a keyplayer for financial inclusion but even UN will have a hard time to make them ALL cooperate on finance with so much politics involved....

8 minutes ago, EcneitapLatnem said:

Awesome!!

Probably!

Can someone drop a TLDR and do it with an ELI5 in mind?

My brain is just a simple peanut!

The prophecy of BG123 is near completion. 

Plans within plans within plans...??

But seriously, not that I believe any of that stuff it is eerily well lined up with his predictions. 

So do i understand correctly that this transaction was using upu as currency? Is this done using an IOU? If it's in UPU then is this actually using xrp for the payment or is it just the vehicle?
The numbers you're talking about are in the millions. How would that drive the price to 5xx $? Wouldn't a lot less already suffice.