Coffee meets my favorite blog is a great way to start an early Saturday morning! You mention the retail use case- yet I must admit I would have trouble parting with my own XRP to pay what I could in dollars, as I feel I would be giving away an appreciating asset.  Your comments on that- and also why should XRP be used in this way when that is not it's intended function?  In other words, in your view what are the expected benefits of using XRP to pay for retail items?  Exposure and such? Thanks for a very complete write up this week. A lot going on...

HUGE Hodor.  The news you are condensing is simply huge and without you I would be missing a lot of it

Quote:  "While each of us must make their own investment decisions and do their own research, I've done mine, and I continue to dynamically evaluate my assessment."   

My response to that quote "While each of us must make their own investment decisions and do our own research, you've done mine, and I continue to dynamically evaluate my assessment on a weekly basis through reading your summaries.   THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME I do not know how I can reward you."

Edited by Julian_Williams

(Lowell Ness) "Yeah, I think the issue really comes down to friction.   While we can get to a status of free trading securities by registering them, even when you do get to that status, there (is) all sorts of ancillary friction ...  in and around the transfer of a security; you need to have broker-dealers involved.   And you need to have suitability requirements.  

couldn't xrp remove that friction also

isn't that basically what it does and what it was designed for? 

all those rules on that token yeah?

Edited by fiik

Thanks ageain, Hodor, for another quality write up.

"...and so when we're talking about trying to create the next generation of decentralized protocol layer of apps on top that are all interoperable, interacting with each other and transferring value at the speed of software, to deliver a service to a consumer...  it may be all transparent to the consumer, that this is all happening under the hood, but you can't have fundamentally, the transfer of value at the speed of software if it's a security."(Lowell Ness)

This is why XRP will not be deemed a Security because, in my opinion, it is XRP that will fulfill this function on the ILP.

"...crypto past the trillion-dollar capitalization mark in 2018?   I believe that the crypto market will test that boundary soon....will XRP rise to the top of the rankings by the end of 2018?   I believe it will." (Hodor)

I get the feelng you may be heading to the Tatoo parlour within the next few weeks!:P

2 hours ago, xrphilosophy said:

Coffee meets my favorite blog is a great way to start an early Saturday morning! You mention the retail use case- yet I must admit I would have trouble parting with my own XRP to pay what I could in dollars, as I feel I would be giving away an appreciating asset.  Your comments on that- and also why should XRP be used in this way when that is not it's intended function?  In other words, in your view what are the expected benefits of using XRP to pay for retail items?  Exposure and such? Thanks for a very complete write up this week. A lot going on...

Excellent point; this conundrum was brought up in the hearings, actually.

Currently, there is so much volatility that vendors don't want to accept crypto when the values are going down, and buyers don't want to spend it when values are going up.

If volatility plateaus at some point, or the value stabilizes, then this concern disappears.  Despite what people may think, there is very little difference between a fiat USD and (any) cryptocurrency.  It's just the belief by the holder that it is valuable that is creating value.  The gold standard disappeared long ago. 

I believe that XRP could be used as currency, yes.  There is also no arbitrary limit to how man times we can divide XRP into units to support this notion.  At present they can each be divided into one million drops, but even that is an arbitrary mathematical choice that can be altered by a code change + vote. 

1 hour ago, bayarea510 said:

Another great read! Thanks Hodor!!

What's your view on the whole security issue?

My own personal opinion is that XRP is not a security. Of course, I'm not an expert, and I have no legal background. 

Looking at what's going on with the hearings, the SEC, and the courts, I'm not certain how events will unfold, in what order, what time frame, and what result. 

There are many analysts who've indicated that the SEC is purposefully standing down while there is litigation regarding the issue moving its way through the courts.  While this seems logical, I'm not sure that all aspects of this issue are resolved. I'll feel better once everybody in the community - and all the stakeholder businesses and individuals that have built applications using XRP - have this issue in their rear-view mirror. 

@Hodor I know this was talked about in the zerpening recently, but I used to get the e-mail updates when you were on wordpress - which obviously stopped with the new location.

I actually get tons of random updates about other peoples blogs on the xrpcommunity site, but not yours.  I specifically hit subscribe while I was reading YOURS just now, so I'll see if that helps.  I only saw this one because of this post, same as other times since you did the switch - and am catching up on some of the others that I missed.  

For the people that were subscribed to your wordpress site would it be a good idea to do a reminder blog basically just saying hey, get with the program I'm not posting here but am over here now, come subscribe - and send THAT out to your list a few more times?