Lamberth

Ripple Insights: Ask Me Anything with David Schwartz and Asheesh Birla

Posted (edited)

My personal take: come on, Asheesh, you should have let David to address the xRapid question. We know you are good in avoiding questions but when Prod?

Edited by Lamberth

Asheesh Birla says WU would have to move all there volume over to Xrpaid to see any cost savings

Also

no set time for production just yet

hope to have it by this year

Contradicts what Brad said: How at least 1 bank will be using Xrapid by this year

Alot of mixed news and Asheesh always seems to be in the middle of it

Happy that xrapid was addressed but I wasn't convinced in the confidence in his answers. He's nornally a pretty smooth talker and he was stuttering about talking about xrapid. Clearly the big players like WU do not want anything to do with xrapid. Hopefully their new target market is a good fit

1 minute ago, princesultan said:

Happy that xrapid was addressed but I wasn't convinced in the confidence in his answers. He's nornally a pretty smooth talker and he was stuttering about talking about xrapid. Clearly the big players like WU do not want anything to do with xrapid. Hopefully their new target market is a good fit

The ended everything with WU right then and there its obvious 

1 minute ago, princesultan said:

Whether big players want anything to do with xRapid is not that important, it is more important to announce that the product is ready to be used. IF it is ready, of course.

I think the xRapid comments are up for interpretation.  He mentioned they are refining the product based on pilot customer feedback.  I don't see this as a bad thing because when they do announce xRapid is out of beta, I would like to also hear about a few customers going live at that time.  Rather than xRapid is ready but no customers are ready to use it.

I do think the announcement will be coordinated with at least one user going live.  So the timing may be dependant on more than just product development. I'll be concerned if it drags out past year end.

David comes across so genuine. An authentic genius.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, PG1 said:

I think the xRapid comments are up for interpretation.  He mentioned they are refining the product based on pilot customer feedback.  I don't see this as a bad thing because when they do announce xRapid is out of beta, I would like to also hear about a few customers going live at that time.  Rather than xRapid is ready but no customers are ready to use it.

I do think the announcement will be coordinated with at least one user going live.  So the timing may be dependant on more than just product development. I'll be concerned if it drags out past year end.

It is concerning and relieving at the same time. Concerning because you can’t track the progress. Relieving because knowing that XRP Ledger is mainly done, there should be something important in xRapid (proprietary, none-OS project) which adds value to the customers and needs additional development.

Having that said, Ripple is extremely transparent about their progress (and we always want more obviously). If anybody thinks otherwise, try googling other proprietary blockchain solutions by major players and see for yourself. 

Edited by Lamberth

love the format, thanks for putting this together!  I always learn something listening to these guys and I can't imagine the complexity of releasing something like XRapid on a global scale.  

11 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

It is concerning and relieving at the same time. Concerning because you can’t track the progress. Relieving because knowing that XRP Ledger is mainly done, there should be something important in xRapid (proprietary, none-OS project) which adds value to the customers and needs additional development.

Having that said, Ripple is extremely transparent about their progress (and we always want more obviously). If anybody thinks otherwise, try googling other proprietary blockchain solutions by major players and see for yourself. 

Right.  I'm sure the clients involved know target date details etc.  And if we were paying Ripple customers we would too. 

A reassuring part is the product development is being done in parallel with pilots and integration work.

15 minutes ago, PG1 said:

Right.  I'm sure the clients involved know target date details etc.  And if we were paying Ripple customers we would too. 

A reassuring part is the product development is being done in parallel with pilots and integration work.

I think you are right about this.

For me the reassuring part is a lack of major development of XRP Ledger. I hope it is because it simply works (and 40m closed ledgers is a good proof of it). Or just maybe it is because the team is focused on Cobalt? (Which is also potentially great news)

Anyway, I am now certain of one thing, xRapid has a long way to go.

Posted (edited)

It is still very early in the product life cycle and in my experience working on new payment products I dont expect any decent versions of the product being live prior to years end, especially when the target audience is enterprise not consumers. 

The comments regarding WU - I don't really see how these are not transferable to Moneygram. Maybe even more concerning, Moneygram is still in a very average position, after the failed take over from Ant Financial they are trying to reinvent them self and some how find a way to become profitable (good old days profitable). IMO Moneygram is still fighting for their life and is still very exposed to take over unless they can overcome this.

Non financial players recognise the payments ecosystem as an "enabler" and not a profit driving business, they are following this up by quickly moving into the space and providing payment services (often for close to free) to get more wallet penetration and ultimately sell more products from the profitable side of the business. I personally do not know if in 5 years from now it will even be possible to charge for the service of transferring funds, when industry players such as Apple / Facebook / Google ect can easily deploy the -capital-  (edited from: liquidity) they hold from business operations to facilitate this value transfer. I am bullish on XRP but neutral / curious on Xrapid and will wait to see what the end product actually looks like / cost savings it provides.

Edited by Pointbreak
edit

3 hours ago, Pointbreak said:

Non financial players recognise the payments ecosystem as an "enabler" and not a profit driving business, they are following this up by quickly moving into the space and providing payment services (often for close to free) to get more wallet penetration and ultimately sell more products from the profitable side of the business. I personally do not know if in 5 years from now it will even be possible to charge for the service of transferring funds, when industry players such as Apple / Facebook / Google ect can easily deploy the liquidity they hold from business operations to facilitate this value transfer. I am bullish on XRP but neutral / curious on Xrapid and will wait to see what the end product actually looks like / cost savings it provides.

I agree. This is a very important point which we can read between the lines in many Ripple’s presentation when presenters are talking about problems their clients (or potential clients) experience and would like to mitigate. 

One question, why are you talking about Apple’s liquidity? A player like Apple could provide a free payment service using their profitable side but how is this statement connected to liquidity? Did you mean capital?

3 hours ago, Lamberth said:

I agree. This is a very important point which we can read between the lines in many Ripple’s presentation when presenters are talking about problems their clients (or potential clients) experience and would like to mitigate. 

One question, why are you talking about Apple’s liquidity? A player like Apple could provide a free payment service using their profitable side but how is this statement connected to liquidity? Did you mean capital?

Sorry should have stated capital not liquidity your correct, my main point being with the value they have parked around the countries they operate in can easily be deployed.