mattwayne_c

Just how many people hold XRP?

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

I bet most keep their XRP on exchanges, and I have no clue why there are so many 20 XRP wallets. Maybe people got bored of being bagholders. 

So my guesstimate is that they pretty much cancel each other and we get the number 1.2 million individuals.

I know I had multiple paper wallets when I first started out to mitigate any hack, then got a ledger wallet and pulled everything I could from the paper wallets and integrated them to GDAX...I still have about 15 wallets with exactly 20XRP in them.

My guess always been a far far lower number than the wallets suggest.  I bet a few hundred thousand people globally actively may be holding XRP, maybe a few more hundred thousand trading in and out.  I've never gotten the sense that the XRP markets are that liquid or active, and the manipulated price being around .43 cents/token while Ethereum is over $430/token may suggest exactly this. I have had too many wallets to count over time.  I'm sure i'm not the only one.

37 minutes ago, BigOGRE said:

I know I had multiple paper wallets when I first started out to mitigate any hack, then got a ledger wallet and pulled everything I could from the paper wallets and integrated them to GDAX...I still have about 15 wallets with exactly 20XRP in them.

My sympathies. I have only had 2 wallets fee for getting my ledger nano. *Pouring one out to our lost zerps*

A lot less than people think.  The folks who were around years back recall lots of playing around with XRP and wallets being lost regularly or created on a whim to test different things with XRP's value was insignificant.  I would speculate a few hundred thousand people max globally have some speculative ownership of XRP.

43 minutes ago, Kalarie said:

Aren't you supposed to only ask questions?  And shouldn't you advocate that we all actually know the right answer, we just don't know that we know the right answer until we are asked the right series of questions?

How much time do you have? "the times they are a-changin" :)

39 minutes ago, mattwayne_c said:

It's obvious we will never truly know. You cant say how many people hold USD cash. But a guesstimate is great for economic planning and logistics. I'm particularly interested in the growth of the number of individuals that hold XRP and the average personal wallet size. Events like the death of the owner of several million XRP and the 100 million XRP lost in the transaction fee debacle make me think of just how much XRP will be available to individuals after the zerpening (as the oracles have predicted). Thanks for the list of unknowns though. I'll keep pondering this.

Hope you don't mind, but just throwing a few questions, more for reflection than requiring an answer. :)

Ignoring for a moment the (great, as in well though) push that Ripple is making with xRapid, do you see XRP as a pure bridging asset or do you think there's more to it? How is the way it's used going to impact the people that see XRP as an investment rather than utensil for their operations? And its value and market liquidity?

How much impact would you say the number of people holding XRP has on the market behaviour in each stage of its evolution? How do you think a scenario, where there is enough market liquidity of XRP for institutional usage as a bridging asset, would play out? What about when there's little market liquidity (of XRP) and would that be positive or negative for those holding it as an investment? What are the different ways it could evolve from either?

For whatever it helps, I also have multiple wallets.  I do things like hosting competitions/giveaways, send XRP to friends/co-workers, etc. after showing them how to set up a wallet, just in the hopes of attracting more investors to the asset.  These smaller wallets that I do these things with typically have less than 5K XRP.  Larger ones I'm like @BigOGRE and just don't want any risk what-so-ever of a hack, so I would never transfer from these wallets thereby letting someone else know my addresses.  Yeah I know they don't have my secret keys, etc., but even @Hodor advises not to make this info public.  IMO, anything can be hacked.  Anyone that would leave their assets on an exchange is an idiot, not just for risk of hacking but for tax purposes as well.   All that being said, the total number of holders is way less than the total amount of wallets.

3 hours ago, Qasim_786 said:

Knock of a half for trader.

Knock of a quarter for multiple wallets per person. 

Knock of a a fifth for people who have left the market. 

Dont know what that leaves you with.  

About 1/20th or 5%

I believe that almost everyone that have XRP stored in Exchanges have a backup account ready...so...add all the XRP  you can find in all the Exchanges and divide by all those funded accounts and you might have an idea of how many people holds how much...just sayin'!

7 hours ago, Zedy44 said:

I would speculate a few hundred thousand people max globally have some speculative ownership of XRP.

So in about 2 years time there will be a few hundred thousand more millionaires on planet Earth.

Technically the exchange wallets are the only people actually holding XRP. The rest are IOUs and could be hacked.

So, in a very binary mindset, cut off all wallets that have 20 or less, and divide the rest by two. ;)

34 minutes ago, noucktourno said:

So in about 2 years time there will be a few hundred thousand more millionaires on planet Earth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/one-fifth-adult-population-could-be-millionaires-within-just-two-generations-2016-7

yes and in just 57 years time there will be around 985 Million millionaires