mattwayne_c

Just how many people hold XRP?

There are 1,288,306  XRP wallets according to ledger.exposed. Some of these accounts have much less than 20 xrp, so they are defunct. Some (foolish) people keep their XRP on exchanges. 

What is the best guesstimate of just how many individuals actually care about and carry XRP? 

I bet most keep their XRP on exchanges, and I have no clue why there are so many 20 XRP wallets. Maybe people got bored of being bagholders. 

So my guesstimate is that they pretty much cancel each other and we get the number 1.2 million individuals.

3 minutes ago, Mokkagebak said:

As pointed out there, the numbers are somewhat opaque because many of the biggest accounts are the exchanges holding XRP for an unknown number of people, which puts you back to square one as far as figuring out how many individuals actually hold. Despite being in what I would consider the late early-adopter phase and so you would think people would be a little more wise, it's pretty clear there are a lot of derpy lunatics leaving whatever assets they hold on the exchanges. If that behavior were to change I think the 1.2M number would increase. There doesn't seem to be a good way to infer by how much however.

Based on no science whatsoever, I estimate about 2.5 million people uniquely hold XRP world wide, with a large portion of those being on exchanges and never getting their own wallet.  XRP was all the talk of my own workplace in December, but I was the only one, and have remained the only one, who ever bought any.  The others that invested in crypto bought into other coins thinking they would recreate the magic of the XRP run up, and then they all sold out except the one guy that made a mining rig.  Wouldn't shock me at all if my microcosm of experience is replicated world wide.

i ve been reading about XRP customers hold at 90% or something like this.

but can't check it

anyway i suppose that a big majority of  individual people are mainly holders for LT, expecting their life change

Posted (edited)

How is it possible for a wallet to have less than 20 XRP? I thought wallets held 20 XRP for itself.

Edited by Black

Posted (edited)

Not going to guess because don't think we have enough information to have a good degree of confidence in any number we put forward (even if we discover later that we landed in the neighbourhood).

However would just like to point out a few things (some of which have already been mentioned):

• (some) people keep their XRP in exchanges
  • a wallet may belong to a business (which may not be an exchange, but banks, retailers, non-profits, etc)
  • a person or business may have more than one wallet
  • a wallet may have XRP belonging to more than one person (e.g.: family/friends pooling)
  • a wallet may belong to someone that is no-longer interested in XRP
  • a wallet may be inaccessible (loss of private key) with little probability of access being re-established

Too many variables and little information about each.

Edited by Socrates

19 minutes ago, Black said:

How is it possible for a wallet to have less than 20 XRP? I thought wallets held 20 XRP for itself.

It needs 20 to be activated. The transaction fees chip away this 20 xrp reserve.

6 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Not going to guess because don't think we have enough information to have a good degree of confidence in any number we put forward (even if we discover later that we landed in the neighbourhood).

However would just like to point out a few things (some of which have already been mentioned):

• a wallet may belong to a business (which may not be an exchange, but banks, retailers, non-profits, etc)
  • a wallet may have XRP belonging to more than one person (e.g.: family/friends pooling)
  • a wallet may be inaccessible (loss of private key) with little probability of access being re-established

Aren't you supposed to only ask questions?  And shouldn't you advocate that we all actually know the right answer, we just don't know that we know the right answer until we are asked the right series of questions?

8 minutes ago, Socrates said:

It's obvious we will never truly know. You cant say how many people hold USD cash. But a guesstimate is great for economic planning and logistics. I'm particularly interested in the growth of the number of individuals that hold XRP and the average personal wallet size. Events like the death of the owner of several million XRP and the 100 million XRP lost in the transaction fee debacle make me think of just how much XRP will be available to individuals after the zerpening (as the oracles have predicted). Thanks for the list of unknowns though. I'll keep pondering this.

don't forget some of the earlier wallets were started with 50 xrp  I know I did, may have been more than that in the earlier days there is going to be a lot of forgotten wallets, and How many Mathew Mellons are there ?