cmbartley

Thailand gives a green light to "cryptocurrency" XRP and six other digital assets

1 hour ago, enrique11 said:

lol...XLM's codebase was redone when they decided to create their own consensus protocol.  Stellar rarely promotes itself, it's not in keeping with the role of a non-profit.

so you've looked into the status of Stellar's IRS filings re NPO status? i'd read they've never actually been compliant since having applied, but may be wrong...and further, its one thing to call yourself an NPO, but its another to actually act charitably through giving, not to mention do work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation...actions speak louder than words...just curious, what kind of charitable/NPO activities have Stellar undertaken? i'm curious, you've brought up they're NPO status several times...

Fwiw, i'd be happy to hear they actually are an NPO and doing good things, but i've done most of my research around the main people involved in the few crypto's i've looked into (that's why i bought XRP), and i've read lots of shady stuff about Jeb (again, fwiw)

15 minutes ago, enrique11 said:

Riiiiiight. ;)

Karpeles says the Mt Gox 'hackers' gained access through Jed's account. Is this supposed to be before or after the exchange changed hands?

"I was angry at Jed, mostly because his own account was hacked and resulted in the whole event, yet by contract I had to protect him." Mark Karpeles

1 hour ago, enrique11 said:

lol...XLM's codebase was redone when they decided to create their own consensus protocol.  Stellar rarely promotes itself, it's not in keeping with the role of a non-profit.

and i'd note that the most recognized brand symbol on the planet is that of the Red Cross...they're an NPO...hard to good works, which requires funding, if no one knows who you are and what you do...

OK...sorry guys..we got sidetracked by XLM...I didn't bring it up first...somebody else did, but I really like it, and come to its defense whenever I hear BS about it, but I could shut up about it and let it's marketcap eventually speak on my behalf very loudly.  Maybe that's best.

8 minutes ago, enrique11 said:

OK...sorry guys..we got sidetracked by XLM...I didn't bring it up first...somebody else did, but I really like it, and come to its defense whenever I hear BS about it, but I could shut up about it and let it's marketcap eventually speak on my behalf very loudly.  Maybe that's best.

Apparently this is the chat between Jed McCaleb and Mark Karpeles immediately after the theft.

I don't understand how anyone could trust him with a website, never mind a cryptocurrency.

EnA9kcb.png

59 minutes ago, elias said:

Apparently this is the chat between Jed McCaleb and Mark Karpeles immediately after the theft.

I don't understand how anyone could trust him with a website, never mind a cryptocurrency.

EnA9kcb.png

lol...I like the chat you posted, it's cool...not the comment you made about it that preceded the chat..lol..that's not that cool ? ..I read that comment after I posted the "like". ;) 

But, let's talk about this in a different thread...not hijack this one...and another day...there should be a limit to how many times I have to defend stellar on a daily basis, right? ;) 

I have good answers to all the posts I haven't responded to...you guys already know I don't BS with my answers..I might be mistaken in my assumptions, but I try not to act like it's the gospel truth when I honestly don't know, but I don't want to spend most of my time talking about Stellar because I already know how I feel about it...lol...it's important to me..not to you guys, but we can talk about it some other time.

It's not a competition, XRP and XLM  can hopefully both succeed, and well, for me it's not a competition anyway since I hold both..yeah, I would be really disappointed if XLM is one of the cryptos to die off because Stellar to me is the "open source" platform of cross-border payments and I'm a huge linux fan, and Stellar has a really nice protocol,, as long as one of them does really well I'll be happy, but I do have a preference.

OK...If there is some comment about Stellar that bothers me and I want to reply to it...I'll copy the post and reply to it in the Altcoin section here..that way we avoid hijacking the wrong threads every day with tangential stuff about Stellar.  ?

Edited by enrique11

I've spent many years in Thailand and am currently living in Thailand now.  Thailand is a great example of a country that has a population where 95%+ (likely 98% or higher) have a smartphone, and yet as well adopted as smartphones are, people use cash everywhere.  "You want to use a credit card?!" vendors query (when you ask).  "Oh, there's a 3% charge for that".  People use 7-11s a lot as a de facto bank to pay bills.  In the future, I can imagine contact-less payment via smartphone being ubiquitous here.  Not in 5 years - but maybe in 10 years' time.  All on the blockchain (hopefully through the Interledger), currency agnostic (you'll pay with your default currency of your choosing - even Doge or USD or whatever), and the cost will still be in THB (Thai Baht)).  Cash is a real pain...it slows down transactions, you need to go to the ATM (and get hit with a charge, ATMs in Thailand often charge 30 to 40 baht per transaction).   Tourists need to go to currency exchanges OR get hit with a 220 baht transaction cost if they use their native card at a Thai ATM.  A few months ago, the Thai government had a TV announcement about wanting to make Thailand a cashless society.  It will happen, and it's interesting that they've been explicit about which cryptos they recognise as "legitimate" (in their eyes) due to liquidity.  Krungsri (Thai bank) are already partnering with Ripple and I expect they will open xRapid corridors between Thailand and Singapore, Japan & South Korea at some point in 2019. For all the naysayers, the Ripple machine marches forwards, one bit of news at a time.  This time last year, cryptos weren't even in the news here in Thailand.  Now the government are already Litecoin, Ripple, Stellar...in their future plans. 

Edited by 2ndtimearound

6 minutes ago, 2ndtimearound said:

I've spent many years in Thailand and am currently living in Thailand now.  Thailand is a great example of a country that has a population where 95%+ (likely 98% or higher) have a smartphone, and yet as well adopted as smartphones are, people use cash everywhere.  "You want to use a credit card?!" vendors query (when you ask).  "Oh, there's a 3% charge for that".  People use 7-11s a lot as a de facto bank to pay bills.  In the future, I can imagine contact-less payment via smartphone being ubiquitous here.  Not in 5 years - but maybe in 10 years' time.  All on the blockchain (hopefully through the Interledger), currency agnostic (you'll pay with your default currency of your choosing - even Doge or USD or whatever), and the cost will still be in THB (Thai Baht)).  Cash is a real pain...it slows down transactions, you need to go to the ATM (and get hit with a charge, ATMs in Thailand often charge 30 to 40 baht per transaction).   Tourists need to go to currency exchanges OR get hit with a 220 baht transaction cost if they use their native card at a Thai ATM.  A few months ago, the Thai government had a TV announcement about wanting to make Thailand a cashless society.  It will happen, and it's interesting that they've been explicit about which cryptos they recognise as "legitimate" (in their eyes) due to liquidity.  Krungsri (Thai bank) are already partnering with Ripple and I expect they will open xRapid corridors between Thailand and Singapore, Japan & South Korea at some point in 2019. For all the naysayers, the Ripple machine marches forwards, one bit of news at a time.  This time last year, cryptos weren't even in the news here in Thailand.  Now the government are already Litecoin, Ripple, Stellar...in their future plans. 

Thanks for your input...it's great to get this kind of perspective from an insider.  

9 minutes ago, 2ndtimearound said:

Interesting observation.  Makes me think the countries which depend on tourist dollars will be the quickest to adopt digital currencies and assets to reduce tourist-based cross-board payment friction.  Not huge countries, but there are more than a few that rely on international tourist dollars.

3 minutes ago, Zedy44 said:

Interesting observation.  Makes me think the countries which depend on tourist dollars will be the quickest to adopt digital currencies and assets to reduce tourist-based cross-board payment friction.  Not huge countries, but there are more than a few that rely on international tourist dollars.

Yes I think this is a great use-case of the Interledger (maybe with xVia) where payments can in the future be currency agnostic.  You just pay with your chosen currency and you will not be penalised with fees just because the currency you're paying with isn't the local currency.  The payment is still settled in the local currency.  That's how I see the future - who knows how many years away that is....

Edited by 2ndtimearound

5 minutes ago, 2ndtimearound said:

Yes I think this is a great use-case of the Interledger (maybe with xVia) where payments can in the future be currency agnostic.  You just pay with your chosen currency and you will not be penalised with fees just because the currency you're paying with isn't the local currency.  The payment is still settled in the local currency.  That's how I see the future - who knows how many years away that is....

With Japan hosting the summer Olympics in 2020 I couldn't imagine a better opportunity to showcase such an ability on a world stage.  Maybe SBI should start planning :D

We should start a permanent thread in the altcoin section to keep track of and rank altcoins that get accepted by various governments, exchanges, crypto fund managers, etc. to see patterns  of behavior, so that we can get in early on these cryptos, and hopefully do well from the network effects that follow from the general adoption of these most popular emerging cryptos. 

3 hours ago, enrique11 said:

OK...If there is some comment about Stellar that bothers me and I want to reply to it...I'll copy the post and reply to it in the Altcoin section here..that way we avoid hijacking the wrong threads every day with tangential stuff about Stellar.  ?

Please do. Would also be great to see some links (preferably technical) which could explain why Stellar is great. Not being sarcastic but all I read about it proved otherwise. Truly interested.