cmbartley

Thailand gives a green light to "cryptocurrency" XRP and six other digital assets

“The SEC hasn’t formally named them, but Archari confirmed earlier comments to the media that the chosen list comprises Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin cash, Ethereum classic, Litecoin, Ripple and Stellar. They were selected, she said, because of their liquidity and convertibility to fiat”.

Is anybody surprised to see ETC as I am?

10 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

“The SEC hasn’t formally named them, but Archari confirmed earlier comments to the media that the chosen list comprises Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin cash, Ethereum classic, Litecoin, Ripple and Stellar. They were selected, she said, because of their liquidity and convertibility to fiat”.

I smell Coinbase intervention.  That's the only reason I can think of for ETC appearing in the list.

29 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

Interesting.  If this is the general trend, it will help us pick the next "winners" to get listed on exchanges within countries.   The founder of Binance said his criterion for listing a crypto is volume (it has been a crypto-pair market exchange only for a long time, so "convertibility to fiat" hasn't been a big issue in the past).  Binance became one of the most successful exchanges and did it without fiat conversion!

No, not surprised at all to see ETC because it has had and will continue to have support from IOHK, the company behind Cardano, and ETH was given OK more or less by Hinman and it's a fork of ETH.

Edited by enrique11

30 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

Stellar not being a security? With buying XLM, you're effectively buying shares in Jed McCaleb

4 minutes ago, silly_ann said:

Stellar not being a security? With buying XLM, you're effectively buying shares in Jed McCaleb

I have stopped questioning XLM long time ago. Probably not smart enough to grasp how anybody could believe in it. But ETC?!

Edited by Lamberth

5 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

I have stopped questioning XLM long time ago. Probably not smart enough to grasp how anybody could believe in it. 

I ventured on to the Stellar reddit the other day and it was a sad sad sight. The majority of them are pumped up about the headway they're making with bank relationships (?) I've still got a bit of xlm and hope it gets some success but the echo chamber is strong there.

On topic, I think the banking relationship they were excited about was a Thai bank.

2 minutes ago, AlbertStroller said:

I ventured on to the Stellar reddit the other day and it was a sad sad sight. The majority of them are pumped up about the headway they're making with bank relationships (?) I've still got a bit of xlm and hope it gets some success but the echo chamber is strong there.

On topic, I think the banking relationship they were excited about was a Thai bank.

What relationships specifically do they have?   I read someone posting that they are working with 30 central banks which I found hard to believe

1 minute ago, Howaboutthemripples said:

What relationships specifically do they have?   I read someone posting that they are working with 30 central banks which I found hard to believe

Not only XLM copy XRP code, they now copy press releases?

2 hours ago, Lamberth said:

I have stopped questioning XLM long time ago. Probably not smart enough to grasp how anybody could believe in it. But ETC?!

Not financial advice, just my opinion.

ETC has 8th highest volume on CMC, just behind XRP. 

Stellar's volume is easily the lowest of the bunch (24th place), which means by their criteria that they chose it for convertibility to fiat. :)

It's so hard to figure out what Stellar is doing because they really act like a non-profit, and so don't routinely release promotional stuff.  Only once in a blue moon do they deliberately make an announcement, and then it's probably their partners talking more about it (like IBM) than Stellar themselves.  So, that's why it's so hard for me to answer when people ask me, "Why do you think Stellar is going to succeed?"  The info is scant...you have to make a lot of inferences like the one I just did about Thailand choosing XLM primarily for it's convertibility to fiat.  But I like putting all these pieces together, and then the puzzle starts looking good to me.

Edited by enrique11
additional comment

5 minutes ago, Howaboutthemripples said:

I can't remember.  I just had a look on reddit to see if I could find the thread but I have a stinking headache from this heat. They have a thread from 20 days ago though talking about the topic of this thread.

6 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

Not only XLM copy XRP code, they now copy press releases?

lol...XLM's codebase was redone when they decided to create their own consensus protocol.  Stellar rarely promotes itself, it's not in keeping with the role of a non-profit.