Capone

XRPCHAT as a private forum

I find it somewhat ironic that OP expects to be allowed into a forum like s/he proposes. ?

I guess it could be world readable, but not world writable, still I have yet to see any good example for a community like that online. While the noise definitely has increased to a level that it doesn't make sense any more to read most of the threads in this forum, there is still enough signal available compared to places like Reddit or Twitter. I'd rather see some way for thread starters to remove spam posts in some sections here or to have stricter moderation guidelines ("This sounds really technical, is this good for the price!?" style answers in the technical section for example should lead to a 3 day ban imho.).

21 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

You misunderstood my comment. 

Ah sorry...   I often miss the point.  Famous for a thick head....   :) 

23 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

For example, people sometimes write something like "I just bought another 2,000 XRP" or "I just sold 40% of my position."

Hmmm..  Yeah ok I see what you mean but to be honest I don't really see any value in knowing their truthfulness....  I'm not going to do something just because they did.  I prefer to make my own mistakes.

And transparency is good generally but not always....  I don't want to know how the magician does her trick for instance...  some things are fine to be left in the realm of mystery.  ( not directly relevant here...  )

What amounts people have or what they do with them is really only of passing interest to me.

I find this resistance terribly interesting;  what's the big deal about wanting people on an XRP forum to actually signal that they, you know, have some XRP and can minimally use it?

(Assume that the newbie forum - where we all go once a week and twice on Sundays to help newbies set up their first wallets, as community service for ours sins - is an exception.)

On 6/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, Capone said:

I am bringing this on because of all the crap being posted on here . I would agree with XRPCHAT  becoming a private forum with membership fee so that only serious and devoted XRP fans would participate. That would eliminate 99% of fudsters and bullshitters and haters and liers .

It would reduce the community to serious people only.  It wouldn’t take a big fee to eliminate most of the crap.

That's not how it works... you'll just end up with a forum of xrp maximalist "isolationists". 

Edited by enrique11

No to a private forum. Yes to tipping the mods once a year as an option. I imagine it takes a lot of time and some money to run this site. I had a blog up once and there were costs related, and that was small scale. 

I think a great way to find who's serious about XRP is to rank members based on how many XRP they hold rather than on some "XRP maximalist buddy" system based on how many positive comments/posts/news articles they've made about XRP or based on how rabid someone is against those that are not in lockstep with XRP maximalism.

Edited by enrique11
additional comment

12 hours ago, enrique11 said:

I think a great way to find who's serious about XRP is to rank members based on how many XRP they hold rather than on some "XRP maximalist buddy" system based on how many positive comments/posts/news articles they've made about XRP or based on how rabid someone is against those that are not in lockstep with XRP maximalism.

Someone with 200 XRP could be as serious about their investment as someone with 20,000 XRP, but just not have the means to buy that much of the digital asset. If there is a serious issue in the forums that has to do with the detrimental behavior of certain members, then in my opinion, the solution would be for the site's staff to confront the individuals, rather than working around them. I think that would be for them to decide though, otherwise one could come off as a backseat moderator. I think that making forums private only kills the activity, more if the subject of said forums already has a niche audience. The point is to draw people in to discuss, not block them out, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Black said:

Someone with 200 XRP could be as serious about their investment as someone with 20,000 XRP, but just not have the means to buy that much of the digital asset. If there is a serious issue in the forums that has to do with the detrimental behavior of certain members, then in my opinion, the solution would be for the site's staff to confront the individuals, rather than working around them. I think that would be for them to decide though, otherwise one could come off as a backseat moderator. I think that making forums private only kills the activity, more if the subject of said forums already has a niche audience. The point is to draw people in to discuss, not block them out, in my opinion.

Yes.. on a personal level they might feel as serious as the one with more zerps, but that doesn't mean we generally give more weight to their comments... Crypto mining doesn't work that way... neither does staking... neither do corporations, etc...seriousness is measured by the owner's impact on the system in every sense of the metric, in a comprehensive manner, IMO.

Actually, seriousness as to how someone feels doesn't work well in high amounts, as it can lead to maximalism... It doesn't work well at all in politics...so I go back to the the definition of seriousness generally based on someone's capacity to affect the ecosystem with their pockets rather than their passion... If I had to choose only one.. now I'm going back to sleep... It's 5am ?

Edited by enrique11

11 hours ago, Black said:

Sorry, It was very late (or early ;)) when I first replied to you message. I was primarily focused on the highlighted part of your message. I think forums can be greatly improved with blockchain technology, so it's an exciting concept to me.

Getting to the rest of your message:  Yeah, agreed. Private forums, you basically pay to hear people who only have a similar opinion that is the result of censored/filtered thought, but I really like the concept of having a forum whose members are ranked by the stake they have in the underlying network.....it would be a very interesting model to see..how it works...how successful it would be...like a chat forum for stock holders ranked  based their stake in shares.

My opinion is that the larger your stake and/or value of your stake in an instrument becomes, the more concerned you are about the underlying vehicle's future capacity to drive the value of that instrument.

Edited by enrique11
correction

5 hours ago, enrique11 said:

Sorry, It was very late (or early ;)) when I first replied to you message. I was primarily focused on the highlighted part of your message. I think forums can be greatly improved with blockchain technology, so it's an exciting concept to me.

Getting to the rest of your message:  Yeah, agreed. Private forums, you basically pay to hear people who only have a similar opinion that is the result of censored/filtered thought, but I really like the concept of having a forum whose members are ranked by the stake they have in the underlying network.....it would be a very interesting model to see..how it works...how successful it would be...like a chat forum for stock holders ranked  based their stake in shares.

Revealing stakes would be a great way for people to draw a social engineering target on their own backs. I personally would never advice folks to do that.

10 minutes ago, default said:

Revealing stakes would be a great way for people to draw a social engineering target on their own backs. I personally would never advice folks to do that.

Who said anything about revealing stakes or not having complete anonymity? I think blockchain tech will solve identity and security issues of legacy systems.  It's just a matter of time.

Edited by enrique11

1 minute ago, enrique11 said:

Who said anything about revealing stakes or not having complete anonymity? I think blockchain tech will solve identity and security issues of legacy systems.  It's just a matter of time.

blockchain hasn't secured people from having their private keys stolen. I don't think it's a magic trick to secure people in this case either. High ranking users would be targeted, no matter how anonymous they were made by the software running the forum.  I'd argue that pretty much any kind of forum is vulnerable to social engineering, because forum users in general are fairly careless.

12 minutes ago, default said:

[1] blockchain hasn't secured people from having their private keys stolen. I don't think it's a magic trick to secure people in this case either. [2] High ranking users would be targeted, no matter how anonymous they were made by the software running the forum.[3]  I'd argue that pretty much any kind of forum is vulnerable to social engineering, because forum users in general are fairly careless.

1. The first people, group, or company to solve this is going to become filthy rich. We are at a very early stage...give it time.

2. Not necessarily, we are talking about the future.  For now, to keep this tech from stalling, and to bring in institutional investors, we need legacy custodial assurances, but they will subsequently be replaced by better and better solutions.

3. Yes, that's now, but the future allows for solutions that we can't contemplate currently.

Edited by enrique11

We must take the bad with the good. All are welcome here even if they don't share the same views or are out to antagonize the community.

Basically up your meme and gif game and you'll find more enjoyment in responding to the crabby posters. ?