PunishmentOfLuxury

Will there be any profit in running a Codius host?

Firstly, I have nothing but admiration for people who want to run a host just for the techie hell of it, or to support the ecosystem in these early days. But, average Joe isn't going to make any money from this, right? In the medium to long term it's going to be a race to the bottom: biggest, cheapest server farms win and anyone spinning up just a few AWS instances will be out of pocket, surely?

Edited by PunishmentOfLuxury

Pricing will only be one of several aspects to a developer choosing a server.

I doubt there will be huge profits to gain long term, but I think it will still be able to tum contracts, maybe not at 100%  utilization though.

My guess is that early birds might be able to earn decent for a while though - Codius has to become really mainstream for a company to move a lot if power towards that - they need to earn really good money first ?

On 6/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, paym8 said:

do we really need the average Joe to be running our contracts?

I don't think the average Joe would be willing to buy a domain name, shell out at least $70/mo to a hosting provider, or be capable of installing, configuring, and maintaining a remote Linux server to run a third party's distributed smart contract service. I think it takes some skills and perseverance to get through all that. You actually have to like doing all that devops stuff to pull it off. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but my feeling is if the average Joe's are going to try it anyway, as soon as they run into the eventual problems with their server, they'll bail. Or, if XRP doesn't moon/lambo/MaltaParty in the first two weeks they'll bail anyway. :)

I did see an article about a new Colorado USA hosting provider that seems to be providing turnkey Codius servers. Too lazy to look it up right now...

On 6/20/2018 at 4:08 PM, n2it said:

I don't think the average Joe would be willing to buy a domain name, shell out at least $70/mo to a hosting provider, or be capable of installing, configuring, and maintaining a remote Linux server to run a third party's distributed smart contract service. I think it takes some skills and perseverance to get through all that. You actually have to like doing all that devops stuff to pull it off. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but my feeling is if the average Joe's are going to try it anyway, as soon as they run into the eventual problems with their server, they'll bail. Or, if XRP doesn't moon/lambo/MaltaParty in the first two weeks they'll bail anyway. :)

I did see an article about a new Colorado USA hosting provider that seems to be providing turnkey Codius servers. Too lazy to look it up right now...

I just read a post in the Zerpening along these lines - @PeterGriffinset up a server on Google cloud and is running a host thru them.  Wondering myself if hes seeing any revenue from it yet.

I'm very interested in this piece of it.  Id put up $1000 to run a host for a year and see if I realize any profits from it.  If I did, I would go bigger...

6 hours ago, Ezip1 said:

I just read a post in the Zerpening along these lines - @PeterGriffinset up a server on Google cloud and is running a host thru them.  Wondering myself if hes seeing any revenue from it yet.

I'm very interested in this piece of it.  Id put up $1000 to run a host for a year and see if I realize any profits from it.  If I did, I would go bigger...

I recommend starting small. http://codiushosts.com/ currently is showing a global total of 5 contracts running on only 2 hosts out of 238 active hosts. I also priced out a Google cloud codius host, but looking at the current number of smart contracts running, it doesn't make financial sense to host right now. I think the codius market needs more actual smart contracts to run.

The hosting is there. The contract volume isn't.

On 7/1/2018 at 10:42 PM, n2it said:

I recommend starting small. http://codiushosts.com/ currently is showing a global total of 5 contracts running on only 2 hosts out of 238 active hosts. I also priced out a Google cloud codius host, but looking at the current number of smart contracts running, it doesn't make financial sense to host right now. I think the codius market needs more actual smart contracts to run.

The hosting is there. The contract volume isn't.

Good to know! Gives me a bit of relief knowing that I still have time to set up. ?

14 minutes ago, Mr_McFearson said:

Good to know! Gives me a bit of relief knowing that I still have time to set up. ?

Agreed. Now I can take some time to configure DNS and do a quick run through of the installation and configuration process without FOMOing :)

Revisiting the codiushosts.com site I see now the number of hosts is up to 287 active of 364 total and the number of contracts is up to 43. Most hosts are only running 1 contract.

Edited by n2it
Update current contract and host numbers.

Guys I have set up 2 servers on azure. Reach out to me if you have any issues or need some guidance. 

In terms of profitability, it's going to take a while before the network evolves to that level. However in the last 24 hours the payments have really increased where I have been receiving .001378 XRP every 2 hours approx. Contracts on the network have jumped to over 40, which is still quite small. It's very rewarding receiving passive XRP (however small) every few hours.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:55 AM, Heisenberg said:

Guys I have set up 2 servers on azure. Reach out to me if you have any issues or need some guidance. 

In terms of profitability, it's going to take a while before the network evolves to that level. However in the last 24 hours the payments have really increased where I have been receiving .001378 XRP every 2 hours approx. Contracts on the network have jumped to over 40, which is still quite small. It's very rewarding receiving passive XRP (however small) every few hours.

The contracts have really jumped in the past 48 hours. The graph for contracts says it all. Love the info graphs they put up on the sidebar. Is that how we get paid? Every few hours? or is it a lump sum at the end of the day/week/month?

Stupid Question:  Do you get any transparency into what the contracts you're hosting do?

Another Stupid Question:  Are any of you running your own contracts to get anything done?

Follow-Up Stupid Question:  Have any of you attempted to set up any type of a smart oracle?

Fourth-In-A-Row Stupid Question:  Do any of you have custom inputs to offer, such as entropy?

2 hours ago, Ralphadayus said:

I've been running a host for about 6 hours and earned .03 XRP... It seems to be growing quite fast based on previous reddit/XRP chat hosts numbers. Here's to the future! Cheers!

The number of contracts is probably growing right now because of the Coil team creating the World Cup betting app.  I think each bet is a contract.  

Its a demo app but it would have generated a number of participants I think.