Triple

The new XRP symbol is horrible

Its a good logo because it is very close to being an X and when XRP becomes a  ubiquitous reserve digital currency we will simple abbreviate it to X155 just like we write $125 .  If XRP goes to where I think it is going there will even be a key on your keyboard with this symbol on it.  You cannot draw a rocket every time you want to write how many XRP something costs.

In effect they have set up a long term strategy to take over the X which was collectively owned by all non national  crypto and domesticated it to mean exclusively XRP. 

It is brilliant strategic move.

BTW I write as someone who is interested in classical methods of drawing (my website: http://drawingandillusion.blogspot.com/), so for me to tolerate and eulogise this dreary and dull modern symbolism goes against the grain, but I can see why they have adopted it.   

1 hour ago, Tako said:

One may say that people who developed some kind of emotional attachment to Ripple (or their investment in XRP) can be upset by a symbol that they do not feel fully representing their perceived idea/function/concept of XRP.  (e.g. it is not powerful enough, it is a childish design, etc, etc) The big hoopla is therefore just an expression of these emotions.

Others may argue that symbols have a very important role as an easily and "universally" recognizable, ultimately simplified carrier of complex ideas/ideologies and as such, their shape and form matters. People expressing their opinion here about how the current symbol sucks big time think that the officially accepted form is not worthy to convey the idea behind XRP.

Exactly.

53 minutes ago, Triple said:

Exactly.

Others can love the logo ( like me ) and still be mad Ripple alienated some of its base support by unfairly influencing the process. I really think this argument isn't just about personal preference for the logo but how ripple conducted themselves. But apparently you're a FUDster in this forum if you care enough about ripple to point out contradictions and blatant mistakes by the company. 

5 hours ago, Tako said:

Not too shabby...

z.jpg

This is basically the British Pound symbol (£) and looks pretty nice the way you wrote it. 

Trust me, the new XRP symbol looks way worse handwritten the right way. 

Ripple should have taken control of the contest and done it the right way. XRP is not a Security. Ripple knows it, the SEC knows it, and even those spreading FUD know it. Ripple should have been in charge of the contest and made it at least more professional and less amateurish as it was. AND, Ripple should have submitted more than just one symbol. The more options the better. 

But what's done is done. Cry me a river. 

Having been involved in Ripple since 2013, I really was shocked to come onto coinmarketcap and see this new symbol. I went to Ripple's corporate website and read a lot of what seemed like propaganda about a 'grass roots movement' to demand a new symbol for XRP. And I figured they are so worried about this securities thing, they are now trying to retcon the symbol away, all so the 'XRP was really never much to do with Ripple anyway' foundation myth has some corroboration. 

The XRP symbol if it is to be different from Ripple's should at least have some relation to it, to reflect the heritage and history that I KNOW took place. Stop with the legislated nostalgia. 

This new symbol is just an X really isn't it...what about the R and the P hmmm?

?

On 6/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, Julian_Williams said:

Its a good logo because it is very close to being an X and when XRP becomes a  ubiquitous reserve digital currency we will simple abbreviate it to X155 just like we write $125 .  If XRP goes to where I think it is going there will even be a key on your keyboard with this symbol on it.  You cannot draw a rocket every time you want to write how many XRP something costs.

In effect they have set up a long term strategy to take over the X which was collectively owned by all non national  crypto and domesticated it to mean exclusively XRP. 

It is brilliant strategic move.   

The symbol X already means X, or multiply, can you imagine doing your accounts if you had to write X155 X X125 X X675 = , not quite the same as $155 X $125 X $675 = now is it?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:29 AM, Montoya said:

It's a friggin' symbol. If companies are making money and if it does the job of facilitating remittances, it could be a flying **** and people wouldn't care.

have ever seen Visa's symbol? it is memorable recognisable and awesome....just saying.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:22 AM, Triple said:

Ok, I'll agree that my tone towards Claire was a bit dramatic, I'll edit that bit out. I'm just a bit jaded that she had a symbol submission. I felt like she was likely to garner votes due to her position, and the quality was just not there on the entry in my opinion.

The *qualities are not there*, as a symbol for say, some product from Dell's Alienware gaming rigs, or something from Valve's Steam platform this would be OK. But it does not have a distinct identity, does not say banking, corporate, or financial trust, reflects no heritage, and actually looks a bit 90's. It says video gaming to me, just what we need to convince the masses that XRP is more than 'magic internet money' eh. Weird choice.