Triple

The new XRP symbol is horrible

47 minutes ago, Tako said:

Well, I beg to differ. It IS the symbol with my handwriting.

You cannot expect anyone to meticulously write two separate lines with a tiny little gap between them in real life. Therefore, the handwritten symbol will always differ from the printed one, especially when written in one fluid stroke.

you are right, its impossible when the simbol is so badly made . my point exactly.

If the crypto gods are in our favor and XRP moons to $589 eoy (I doubt it but really who knows), I'm getting that symbol tattooed on my bum. Who else is with me?

13 hours ago, Triple said:

WOW. Take a look at how horribly awkward and un-optimized the new XRP symbol is when sat alongside the other coins on coinmarketcap. It looks absolutely AWFUL. I'm almost convinced that the votes were botted to pick the absolute WORST option that was available! How did this happen?? Such a let down.

The quality of the edges of the image when converted into a mini-thumbnail look fuzzy, and the actual shape looks squished. To top it off, it now blends in with ETH and EOS. I understand the need for a unique symbol and all that jazz but this was a horribly thought out, half-assed decision.

Looking at Twitter and Reddit, I know I'm not the only person who thinks this. SUCH A DOWNGRADE! There goes our individuality that the old logo held. And before anyone tries to say that it doesn't matter or yadda yadda, yeah whatever. But it seriously looks like a ******* five year old drew the thing.

I like it.

14 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

you are right, its impossible when the simbol is so badly made . my point exactly.

The fact that the handwritten symbol/sign will slightly differ from the printed sign does not mean that the sign is a bad design.

The bottom line is:

Can you write it by hand easily? Yes, you can.

Is the handwritten sign resemble enough to the printed version, so it is recognizable as the symbol so it can be differentiated from anything else? Yes, it does.

Everything else is up to taste.

PS: To be honest, I am not a big fan of this design, but honestly, as long as it serves its purpose and meets the above criteria, why should I care? It's just a symbol after all, noone will give a second thought about it in one year or so.

4 minutes ago, Tako said:

The fact that the handwritten symbol/sign will slightly differ from the printed sign does not mean that the sign is a bad design.

The bottom line is:

Can you write it by hand easily? Yes, you can.

Is the handwritten sign resemble enough to the printed version, so it is recognizable as the symbol so it can be differentiated from anything else? Yes, it does.

Everything else is up to taste.

PS: To be honest, I am not a big fan of this design, but honestly, as long as it serves its purpose and meets the above criteria, why should I care? It's just a symbol after all, noone will give a second thought about it in one year or so.

your handwriten simbol resembles this one, otherwise you are on point.

xrp.png

25 minutes ago, XRPLearner said:

If the crypto gods are in our favor and XRP moons to $589 eoy (I doubt it but really who knows), I'm getting that symbol tattooed on my bum. Who else is with me?

Well...no. But I'll wear a shirt with the symbol. That count?

But I don't generally like tattoos. Or needles. Or pain. 

I don't understand the big hoopla. Do we have to like the symbol? I'm not invested for the symbol. I'm invested so I can retire. 

But silly me, I should sell because the symbol isn't perfect. 

Anyways...I like the simplicity. Anyone ever looked at BTC's symbol? Looks cheap and garish. People still buy. 

It was a good idea to create a symbol to separate XRP from Ripple. 

The community voted for it. 

It was t my choice but I like it and can live with it. I like Ripple’s explanation. 

It will last and based on XRP’s success will become very prominent in the years to come. 

59 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

your handwriten simbol resembles this one, otherwise you are on point.

xrp.png

Isn't that fantastic? You can write it to look like the one above, and it will still be accepted as official. So, is it a good design, or not? ?

Just now, Tako said:

Isn't that fantastic? You can write it to look like the one above, and it will still be accepted as official. So, is it a good design, or not? ?

nah this one was not selected , so its not accepted as official.  ---- instead of looking like the real one it looks like the one that got thrown away --- to me it means bad design.

51 minutes ago, Loki said:

I don't understand the big hoopla. Do we have to like the symbol? I'm not invested for the symbol. I'm invested so I can retire. 

Anyways...I like the simplicity. Anyone ever looked at BTC's symbol? Looks cheap and garish. People still buy. 

Well IMO, branding is a big deal in capitalism .

Also bitcoins simbol is not B, like xrps is X (unless you zoom in to at least 200 %,or you use a wall instead of a  monitor).

37 minutes ago, Chewiecoin said:

It was t my choice but I like it and can live with it. I like Ripple’s explanation. 

It will last and based on XRP’s success will become very prominent in the years to come. 

i agree with all of your points, with the difference on row 3 , i dont like it and i can live with it.

1 hour ago, Chewiecoin said:

It was a good idea, that was then taken by Ripple and manipulated. They had merch produced for their NYC party with this logo..... Equivalent of Kellogg saying "yea, this rooster symbol is outdated lets make the community develop a new symbol but in the meanwhile let's just slap this kangaroo on the box  who we named Jumpie. BTW here is some free cereal and some t-shirts with Jumpie's name on it but don't be upset there was 0 influence". 

Edited by Bmatt44

1 hour ago, Loki said:

One may say that people who developed some kind of emotional attachment to Ripple (or their investment in XRP) can be upset by a symbol that they do not feel fully representing their perceived idea/function/concept of XRP.  (e.g. it is not powerful enough, it is a childish design, etc, etc) The big hoopla is therefore just an expression of these emotions.

Others may argue that symbols have a very important role as an easily and "universally" recognizable, ultimately simplified carrier of complex ideas/ideologies and as such, their shape and form matters. People expressing their opinion here about how the current symbol sucks big time think that the officially accepted form is not worthy to convey the idea behind XRP.