Jump to content
josepi90

Codius hosting - cost model for packet.net - Googlesheet link.

Recommended Posts

I've added some protection to the sheet, as i noticed a few edits and deletions being made my mistake. It's now locked and only the CODIUS_XRP_PER_MONTH and the price of XRP cells E7 and E8 can be changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing you need is a lot of memory. I don't think it is neccesary to have 28 cores for running codius? So I think cost can be reduces in that way? For the rest nice calc sheet ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

The only thing you need is a lot of memory. I don't think it is neccesary to have 28 cores for running codius? So I think cost can be reduces in that way? For the rest nice calc sheet ?

Thanks,  and agreed memory is the thing, in this case the model with 28 core service from Packet also included the most memory allocation (384B). These are all standard services from packet, perhaps they or others have an off the shelf, self configure option so you can load up on memory,  ideally expanding the same server as you grow.

Edited by josepi90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your work. You can even auto-fetch the price of XRP from coinmarketcap website pasting this in a cell:

 

=IMPORTXML("http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/","//span[@class='h2 text-semi-bold']")

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, one thing that was stated in another thread was that some of the RAM will be needed to run the CPU and other components.  So 750 contracts will not be able to be stored on a 384GB system.  I believe 600 contracts was the # Stephan quoted for capacity for his 384GB system....this will change your analysis, but thank you for posting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ripple-n-Time said:

Also, one thing that was stated in another thread was that some of the RAM will be needed to run the CPU and other components.  So 750 contracts will not be able to be stored on a 384GB system.  I believe 600 contracts was the # Stephan quoted for capacity for his 384GB system....this will change your analysis, but thank you for posting!

Yup.. this is mentioned in the OP , and in the spreadsheet comments. The data needs further work calculating OS system needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really think hosts won't be asking for 10 XRP/month per pod, as competition will rise. I myself will host pods for less than 3 USD when Codius is more mature — and many guys like me can do the same thing.

I hope Ripple and Codius to succeed, 100%.

Edited by amulecregg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CryptoVangu said:

 

@Trader-to-the-Crown

https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

 

They seem to have a very good pricing schema.

 

16 GB

6 vCPUs

320 GB

6TB

$80/mo $0.119/hr

These seem to be Virtual machines, in order for these to work they would need to support nested virtualisation ( ie a VM running inside a VM), while this may be possible with Digital ocean, Thomas recommends a "bare metal", aka dedicated hardware machine to host Codius. Keeping that in mind (for now) I will choose only to add bare metal solutions providers in the sheet. Working now on adding AWS EC2and I3 offerings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amulecregg said:

I really think hosts won't be asking for 10 XRP/month per pod, as competition will rise. I myself will host pods for less than 3 USD when Codius is more mature — and many guys like me can do the same thing.

I hope Ripple and Codius to succeed, 100%.

I would think its impossible to firmly state at what price you will run a  server, regardless of your costs or profitability intentions, The CXMP (CODIUS_XRP_PER_MONTH)  setting,  as its paid in drops, it has to be tied to XRPs price. For example.

  • server costing 51 usd per month, 70% utilised, settings of 10 CXPM & XRP price @ 1.00 usd, give a 58 USD profit. (monthly)
  • same server cost 51 usd, 70% utilised, settings of 3 CXPM and XRP price @ 1.00 usd gives a 18 USD loss. (monthly)
  • same server cost 51 usd , 70% utilised, settings of 3 CXPM and XRP price @ 10.00  usd  gives a 277 USD profit. (monthly)
  • same server cost 51 usd , 70% utilised, settings of 3 CXPM and XRP price @ 589 usd gives a 19,275 USD profit. (monthly)

Clearly, the CXPM price will need to adjust downwards, as XRPs value rises to be cost effective..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, josepi90 said:

I would think its impossible to firmly state at what price you will run a  server, regardless of your costs or profitability intentions, The CXMP (CODIUS_XRP_PER_MONTH)  setting,  as its paid in drops, it has to be tied to XRPs price. For example.

  • server costing 51 usd per month, 70% utilised, settings of 10 CXPM & XRP price @ 1.00 usd, give a 58 USD profit. (monthly)
  • same server cost 51 usd, 70% utilised, settings of 3 CXPM and XRP price @ 1.00 usd gives a 18 USD loss. (monthly)
  • same server cost 51 usd , 70% utilised, settings of 3 CXPM and XRP price @ 10.00  usd  gives a 277 USD profit. (monthly)
  • same server cost 51 usd , 70% utilised, settings of 3 CXPM and XRP price @ 589 usd gives a 19,275 USD profit. (monthly)

Clearly, the CXPM price will need to adjust downwards, as XRPs value rises to be cost effective..

 

If XRP is trading at ~0.3 USD then I'll be asking for ~10 XRP per pod, of course, and I'll be getting those same ~3 USD per pod.

But my point is that we hosts should not be too hyped about those CODIUS_XRP_PER_MONTH=10 variable (~0.54 USD per XRP, as right now), because there will be competition — nonetheless this is great for the final user.

Edited by amulecregg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amulecregg said:

But my point is that we hosts should not be too hyped about those CODIUS_XRP_PER_MONTH=10 variable

TBH, I think this amount is a bit high too but it's so early in the piece that the natural market forces haven't kicked in yet. The great thing about this tool is that it provides a sensible benchmark if you're trying to put a business case together for a small operation.

@josepi90 - is there an easy way to model how much additional benefit kicks in at scale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×