Sign in to follow this  
MrTricky

What is this? Ripple Token, good? bad?

https://swarm.fund/techtokens/

“By offering a Ripple token representing equity in Ripple the company, Swarm Fund offers an answer to what some say is a limitation of Ripple’s XRP token as an investment. XRP is a top cryptocurrency, behind only Bitcoin and Ethereum in market cap, but it does not represent equity in Ripple or reflect the value of Ripple payment protocol. Investors looking for a more holistic piece of Ripple’s value may look to the Ripple Equity Token as a solution,” commented Timo Lehes, Co-founder and Chief Investment Officer.

Posted (edited)

What part of the Press Release do you not understand? These are security tokens (not cryptocurrency or utility tokens). They represent real equity in the company.

Edited by Byrd

So this basically allows people who do not have the credentials to become "accredited" to purchase equity shares in a company. 

It definitely opens the door up to individuals who would rather purchase equity in Ripple rather than or in addition to their purchase XRP. 

It sounds like a good money making opportunity for accredited investors and companies like Swarm. 

1 hour ago, Byrd said:

What part of the Press Release do you not understand? These are security tokens (not cryptocurrency or utility tokens). They represent real equity in the company.

Yes I do get that it is (unlike XRP) not a utility token. I was just wondering about the reasons to to tokenize equity and how this actually works. Before that it seemed that shares in the company Ripple could only be purchased by accredited investors, which had to fulfil certain requirements in terms of their income etc... I also thought that this could actually be a good thing to draw a line between XRP the digital asset, commodity, or whatever you want to label it vs. XRP/Ripple Token the security. Good if it is that simple for you, I just wanted to ask for some clarification/discussion. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrTricky said:

Yes I do get that it is (unlike XRP) not a utility token. I was just wondering about the reasons to to tokenize equity and how this actually works. Before that it seemed that shares in the company Ripple could only be purchased by accredited investors, which had to fulfil certain requirements in terms of their income etc... I also thought that this could actually be a good thing to draw a line between XRP the digital asset, commodity, or whatever you want to label it vs. XRP/Ripple Token the security. Good if it is that simple for you, I just wanted to ask for some clarification/discussion. 

There are many reasons to tokenize private equity (i.e. liquidity). In fact, there is a huge security token movement that is underway. In 12-36 months, security tokens will eclipse the value of all utility tokens. I'd suggest doing some Googling about what's coming down the pike. It will be very beneficial to understand this new landscape.

Edited by Byrd

41 minutes ago, TokenBaby said:

There are many reasons to tokenize private equity (i.e. liquidity). In fact, there is a huge security token movement that is underway. In 12-36 months, security tokens will eclipse the value of all utility tokens. I'd suggest doing some Googling about what's coming down the pike. It will be very beneficial to understand this new landscape.

I can see someone like Polymath running into the scaling issues on ETH blockchain and jumping over to Codius, especially if Ripple has existing inroads with liquidity providers.

20 minutes ago, ImTheRippler said:

I can see someone like Polymath running into the scaling issues on ETH blockchain and jumping over to Codius, especially if Ripple has existing inroads with liquidity providers.

A few others to consider too:

TrustToken

Securitize

Harbor 

Swarm.Fund (although they leverage the Stellar chain already)

Posted (edited)

"Coinbase, Ripple Blast Company Creating Tokens in Their Name"

https://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-ripple-push-back-against-swarms-equity-tokens/

a representative for Ripple issued a similar rebuke.

"We have never spoken to Swarm, don't have a record of them purchasing Ripple equity and would not have approved a purchase for this purpose," 

Edited by Malloy

Sign in to follow this