rohanneal

Codius HOST UP and Running

2 hours ago, slinuxuzer said:

Used server hardware from Ebay - Something like an HP proliant DL360 G7 Gen8 or even Gen9 - stack this with the maximum amount of low voltage memory (low voltage CPUs would be required) and if you have a 208v Circuit in your home, get 208v power supplies and use those, they are way more efficient than 110v - you could probably build a node he size stefan mentions for 1,000$ tops

Stefan mentioned a 384 GB RAM instance. You have near 0 chance to get something recent with thtat amount of RAM inside for 1k. Also these rack mounted servers don't run exactly silently...

22 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

Stefan mentioned a 384 GB RAM instance. You have near 0 chance to get something recent with thtat amount of RAM inside for 1k. Also these rack mounted servers don't run exactly silently...

I read what he wrote, and I've deployed over 40 million dollars worth of data center / server hardware, you could def deploy in that price range. Thanks for your input though.

1 minute ago, slinuxuzer said:

I read what he wrote, and I've deployed over 40 million dollars worth of data center / server hardware, you could def deploy in that price range. Thanks for your input though.

Apparently eBay in my region sucks ?

6 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

Apparently eBay in my region sucks ?

I'm assuming a 24 slot system and off brand memory, and not buying off ebay, there are better places to buy things. If you shop you can find 16gb modules for 30$ that leaves 280$ for a chassis

Edited by slinuxuzer

k, since i have no idea what any of this means, let's do this.  For those who want to do this but don't have the funds to set up your rigs, I'll fund your rigs for a % of your income.  I need to invest in something and since XRP ain't making me no $ right now, I might as well blow $ on you riggers out there.  What do I have to lose? I can always sue you.  hehe

I have a old PC laying around that I'm not doing much with......  Intel Core i5-2500k, 8gb of ram, GTX-460 on a Gigabyte motherboard. I built it years ago to do some gaming but haven't really been using it lately. I think I could put it to use running Codius contracts? 8GB of ram would be roughly 6 or 7 contracts?

I don't have much programming knowledge and this looks kind of daunting but I kind of want to do this. Seems like a good way to support the XRP ledger from home. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

So are there some Contracts around yet? Asking if it is viable at the moment. Got some nice hosting offers at the moment, which however are min. 12 month. Going in big would carry some financial risk, that's why I'm asking. 

Edited by xrp-overflow

19 hours ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

I have a old PC laying around that I'm not doing much with......  Intel Core i5-2500k, 8gb of ram, GTX-460 on a Gigabyte motherboard. I built it years ago to do some gaming but haven't really been using it lately. I think I could put it to use running Codius contracts? 8GB of ram would be roughly 6 or 7 contracts?

I don't have much programming knowledge and this looks kind of daunting but I kind of want to do this. Seems like a good way to support the XRP ledger from home. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

16 contracts. Each contract is 512Mb and default contract payment is 10 XRP/month. I'm not sure how users select their hosts, but I assume if you go over 10 XRP/month you won't be competitive. 

But for your setup, 160 XRP/month=$96/month. That's awesome returns!!

I have a question. How do users find their hosts? Is there a marketplace of some sorts? ELI5 please :)

Edited by Atomic1221

3 minutes ago, Ripple-n-Time said:

Is the demand for this service there?

The project exists for less than a month or so and requires users to be able to make payments with Interledger.

I'd rather worry about the size of the potential customer base at the moment than demand in general.

I know nothing of servers. Been looking at 2nd hand servers. Can pick up a HP ProLiant DL380 G7 for £100 with 16gb of RAM. Can always add more RAM in time. Do you need to hookup keyboard/mouse/screen or connect a laptop?

What about internet connection? Will my standard household "unlimited" internet connection be sufficient?

46 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

The project exists for less than a month or so and requires users to be able to make payments with Interledger.

I'd rather worry about the size of the potential customer base at the moment than demand in general.

Thanks for your reply.  I rarely worry.  :)  I realize the Codius launch is brand new,  but do you now of anyone hosting any smart contracts yet?  

22 minutes ago, Ripple-n-Time said:

Thanks for your reply.  I rarely worry.  :)  I realize the Codius launch is brand new,  but do you now of anyone hosting any smart contracts yet?  

I don't know of any yet and haven't had anyone use my host yet, but I am actively trying to figure out how to write a smart contract to host.  That was my main motivation for putting together the codius host, I want to learn how to write smart contracts but don't want to pay someone else to host my experiments. 

Anybody here know about the details on putting a smart contract written in language xyz into a docker container and then hosting it on a codius host?