rohanneal

Codius HOST UP and Running

1 hour ago, alexisonsmith said:

Is it a similar approach when doing the setup on a mac? I know putty does not exist on a mac. I could not find a walk through online...will be using digital ocean for hosting

Once you have your CentOS server running in Digital Ocean you can connect to it with the Terminal on your mac using the "ssh" command.

> ssh root@your-server-ip

Then once you are logged in you can run through this walkthrough:

https://medium.com/codius/how-to-run-your-own-codius-host-42e13afe1fb2

6 minutes ago, dr_gonzo said:

Once you have your CentOS server running in Digital Ocean you can connect to it with the Terminal on your mac using the "ssh" command.

> ssh root@your-server-ip

Then once you are logged in you can run through this walkthrough:

https://medium.com/codius/how-to-run-your-own-codius-host-42e13afe1fb2

So I follow the same procedure however instead of putty just use terminal on my mac? 

3 minutes ago, alexisonsmith said:

Is there a better place to get a domain etc. Outside of godaddy? I find their prices high. Namescheap seem good but have not had any ecperience with them

I use dreamhost.com

1 hour ago, alexisonsmith said:

Is there a better place to get a domain etc. Outside of godaddy? I find their prices high. Namescheap seem good but have not had any ecperience with them

I actually use Namecheap, have done so for years, never any issues with them.

@tulo You, gents, have technical knowledge superiority, so I'll play a devil's advocate. That is, if you need someone to tell, why the undertaking will not gain traction :D 

But jokes aside, if you need someone to reply to emails in a couple of languages, I could work for some zerps. 

16 minutes ago, alexisonsmith said:

I am sure we could gather enough funds to make this happen. The XRP community would back this easily...

Yeah, with an ICO on Ripple...and the owners of the token get some of the fees back proportional to the token.

44 minutes ago, tulo said:

Yeah, with an ICO on Ripple...and the owners of the token get some of the fees back proportional to the token.

Liqui has 24% apr deposit program funded from 85% of the fees the platform generate. 
We should be able to make similar thing with codius. 

What I am afraid, though, is how would we attract users on it? RCL is abandoned for IOUs, essentially. 

I like the model DividendRipple gateway had, i.e. automatic deposit/withdrawals. 

1 minute ago, Graine said:

What I am afraid, though, is how would we attract users on it? RCL is abandoned for IOUs, essentially. 

You have to build a very strong platform to interact with RCL and make it a smooth experience for the users. Then you can have advertisements around, and I think being the first real completely decentralized exchange can be a game changer. I would instantly trade there if it existed and many other friends think the same.

Moreover there are already all the APIs (ripple-lib) and tools (ripple chart, ledger explorers, ...). Like 90% of the work is already done by Ripple :).

27 minutes ago, tulo said:

You have to build a very strong platform to interact with RC

which is another point of centralization. Also, ledger_close time, and the uncertainty of reliable order submission. RCL is not best for trading, sadly. Still beats the dex's built on ethereum (if I ever have to submit an order with 4$ fee, ugh)

Edited by Graine
I meant centralization, ugh

15 minutes ago, Graine said:

which is another point of centralization. 

Nope, because that is only an interface. The secret never leaves your computer and the owner of the platforms cannot send any transaction. Moreover since it's on RCL you can choose the platform you want (gatehub, theworldexchange, rippleAPI, sign transactions by hand and send the blob).