rohanneal

Codius HOST UP and Running

Stefan tweeted about the first live production codius smart contract June 6.  So I imagine there will be a period with many more hosts than contracts or Dapps.

But I'm guessing that things like host uptime, reliability etc. will all come into play so nothing wrong with building some rep.

Interesting tweet from Ethan about hosts being selected using AI

7 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Regarding the domain name 'codius.example.com',  do I need to create a domain name like so e.g:  'codius.flintstone.com'  or is 'flintstone.com' ok?

if you don't use your domain name for anything else (website or something like that) you can use flintstone.com

I think having the users to set their price and devs pick their host is VERY DANGEROUS.

You risk that a few huge actors will have all the contracts running, loosing any decentralization.

6 minutes ago, Howie said:

Ok, I have my codius host up and running. Very basic question I know but how can I know if it’s being used? 

You really could/should monitor your host. As far as I've read there are also endpoints that list connected peers, maybe there's one for running contracts that you could regularly poll?

What if my network shuts down for a while when running host? If this happens few times in month, do i still get paid for it? 

and will I get payment per month or what?

32 minutes ago, ukkomies said:

What if my network shuts down for a while when running host? If this happens few times in month, do i still get paid for it? 

and will I get payment per month or what?

Your monthly rate is broken down into seconds by Codius.  Think micro-payments.

A developer can upload their app to your host and run it for 10 minutes.

You're not getting payed when your host is unavailable because the idea is the Dapp or contract is decentralized & using many hosts.

After about 7 hours of trying, I successfully set up a Codius host on a decent spec PC with CentOS, just to see if I could. Followed Stefan's "How to Run Your Own Codius Host" guide. 

Issues I had were GoDaddy TXT file shenanigans, working through typos and lots of "how do i..... in Linux" research. Now I need to decide if I want to really jump into this full on. 

cs.jpg

18 minutes ago, OnTheXRP said:

Issues I had were GoDaddy TXT file shenanigans, working through typos and lots of "how do i..... in Linux" research. Now I need to decide if I want to really jump into this full on. 

The problem is that it is not clear at which point the technology is (alpha? beta? expecting dragons? completely safe and working?) and if there is already some usage of it, i.e. someone needs hosts to run their software.

47 minutes ago, tulo said:

The problem is that it is not clear at which point the technology is (alpha? beta? expecting dragons? completely safe and working?) and if there is already some usage of it, i.e. someone needs hosts to run their software.

Stefan said (yesterday on conf call) they were going to start running code on hosts to test, stress tests, etc.