Codius HOST UP and Running

57 minutes ago, AnotherFrenchGuy said:

Do you see any returns already ?

He posted 2 hours ago. It's a host not a printing press. 

Is there any info on the costs of running contracts on Codius hosts?

And how the hosts are selected? Random?

I can't find much documentation at all about Codius and about what we can actually do with it. Can the contract already store and generate secrets, for example to interact with bitcoin ledger?

I'd reach out to Stefan on Twitter, I think receiving those questions will be of big help for them to get the proper documentation and FAQs ready and posted.

They obviously wanted to get the publicity, attention and engagement as early as possible so it seems a lot of this hasn't been prepared yet.

18 minutes ago, tulo said:

Is there any info on the costs of running contracts on Codius hosts?

And how the hosts are selected? Random?

I can't find much documentation at all about Codius and about what we can actually do with it. Can the contract already store and generate secrets, for example to interact with bitcoin ledger?

You can always ask questions on their gitter.

Just scroll a little back and you'll find answers on those questions -> See included images.

As for host selection, Codius chooses the host at random if not specified. Following piece explains a great deal.

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.45.06.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 13.39.29.png

A few brainstorming questions (from probably very basic to advanced):

• Who sets the price per month and based on what?
  • Is the cost of different contracts (for example using more resources) different?
  • What if a contract takes more than the 512MB of memory? Or more bandwidth, or too much CPU?
  • How do we create the Pods? What does it mean it can be written in any language? For example I have a C++ code, do I need the code, the compiled one, the executable?
  • How the contracts are "synchronized" when running on multiple hosts?
  • How the output of the different contracts (actually the same code but run in different hosts) is evaluated if different hosts give different results?
  • How do we interface with the contract? For example the contract is a simple sum and I want to send two real numbers and get the result out of it. How do I send the input and how do I receive the outputs from all hosts?
  • Is the "secret storing" working? How is that done? Example on how to interact with BTC ledger where a BTC wallet is created and stored on the contract?
  • How can I be sure that the hosts cannot access sensible data inside the contract (for example some custom algorithms, secrets, ...)?
  • What if I send a contract to some hosts, then some or all of the hosts disconnect or die?
  • How can I be sure my contract is never ever interrupted?
  • Are there metrics to understand the resilience of the network?
Edited by tulo

1 hour ago, tulo said:

I have so many questions on Codius that I don't know where to start :) 

Their github. Or Thomas's twitter, I'd think. Time for that trustless gateway on RCL :) 
Also, cc @justmoon

I'd add one more question to that: 
 - How can we protect from malicious actors deploying illegal content on the pods we host? Seeing how the contract is private, and there's no way to check. 

Edited by Graine