How to sleep at night

Arrowfletch

I've been very lucky in my investment life, four times I've woken up and found that my investment has rocketed substantially overnight. I was lucky enough to be interested in xrp for the new years moon shot.

However, I also bought and sold based on emotion  so despite the favorable market swings, I squandered many great opportunities. This has caused me many sleepless nights of regret. Almost as many as the girl I should have asked out in highschool....

To over come this I was looking into program trading so I could take myself out of the equation. In my searches I came across

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Stock-Market-Automatically/dp/0451204417/ 

By Robert lichellio

It's essentially a constant value strategy with some bells and whistles that allow for growth and uses a very simple spreadsheet. It does have a bias toward preserving value over growth. For me, it takes me out of the equation and now I sleep well at night knowing that if the market moves in either direction my limit orders will activate. I was able to write a bot that runs on polloniex and should anyone want information or help towards their own I'd be happy to lend a ear.

So long as xrp is roughly 2x stellar, the decoupling hasn't happened so it's safe to trade, especially after a good night sleep !

Tldr

Sell some as the market rises , buy some as it falls... And even more importantly, marry a person, not a asset !

5 hours ago, Arrowfletch said:

I've been very lucky in my investment life, four times I've woken up and found that my investment has rocketed substantially overnight. I was lucky enough to be interested in xrp for the new years moon shot.

However, I also bought and sold based on emotion  so despite the favorable market swings, I squandered many great opportunities. This has caused me many sleepless nights of regret. Almost as many as the girl I should have asked out in highschool....

To over come this I was looking into program trading so I could take myself out of the equation. In my searches I came across

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Stock-Market-Automatically/dp/0451204417/

By Robert lichellio

It's essentially a constant value strategy with some bells and whistles that allow for growth and uses a very simple spreadsheet. It does have a bias toward preserving value over growth. For me, it takes me out of the equation and now I sleep well at night knowing that if the market moves in either direction my limit orders will activate. I was able to write a bot that runs on polloniex and should anyone want information or help towards their own I'd be happy to lend a ear.

So long as xrp is roughly 2x stellar, the decoupling hasn't happened so it's safe to trade, especially after a good night sleep !

Tldr

Sell some as the market rises , buy some as it falls... And even more importantly, marry a person, not a asset !

Sound logic! 

• 3 years later...

I'm currently suffering from back pain and insomnia. The nights are awful. I started doing exercises before bed in the hope it will help. Any other tips are appreciated. 

33 minutes ago, jerrymor said:

Few things you can do :

- spend as much time outside as possible

- drink a lot of water

- get yourself a decent mattress

- make exercises few times a week

- avoid alcohol and screen time before going to bed

I have one month each year without Alcohol.

I sleep so deeply each night in that month that it's a shame that I like alcohol so much.

Regarding sound sleep...

Most of us (and more so the older you get) sleep in several sessions, often corresponding to our brain cycles which include the crucial deep one where our brains perform the "house cleaning" to move short term memories into long term.

So there are two major items to keep in mind...

1. The initial first session to get to sleep (typically were our vital deep sleep cycles occur)
  2. The later sessions, of returning to sleep after a wake-up event (aka "segmented sleep")

A few helpful tricks I use for addressing the needs for #1 :

• Replace the lighting in the bathroom with LED amber bulbs (lacking the blue spectrum)
  • Watching some dull repetitive youTube content, such as non engaging gameplay
  • Once in bed, NEVER dwell on concerns, problems, tomorrow's plans, ANYTHING emotional
  • Think of either nothing at all, or something very dull, familiar, or repetitive (like folding laundry)

Getting back to sleep #2 :

• NEVER expose your eyes to bright white light (signal's your brain it's daylight, time to wake up)
  • NEVER start thinking of anything troubling, worrisome, or emotional - tell yourself "it's all fine, just relax"
  • NEVER start thinking of what you got to do in the morning, or the coming day

The goal is to NOT wake up your brain, to not engage it with emotions, worry or problems - this is your sleep enemy.

This isn't for everybody, but I have found listening to a dull story on my headphones will sometimes break me out of my "brain loops" locks that sometimes get stuck in my head - like an annoying musical ear-worm. I listen just long enuf to stop my thinking/worrying and get to that point where I'm not following the story in my ears (VERY low volume).

Hope some of this helps !

• 3 months later...

A healthy sleeping habits are important. From my own experience, I can't easily fall sleep when I feel too tired or too excited. That's why I sometimes take sleeping pills after a hard workday. I know that it's a bad habit, and as states the Canada Drugs pharmacy where I buy my meds, they can be addictive. However, if I don't sleep 7 hours at least, I'll feel bad during the next day or even get migraine. I try to establish a proper sleeping schedule, but it's hard with my job. Also, it's important for me a bedroom to be well ventilated and dark.

Edited by snider