Jump to content

Tool to add a regular key offline, airgapped, to your mnemonic (Ledger) wallet


Recommended Posts

@xrptipbot and @Hodor. First of all, thank you for your contributions. I have one question about the security of my wallet.

i have a wallet in and only in Bitstamp.

1.is it enough secure to have there? and,      2.if not, what I can do to secure it from thround or stealing etc..?

If that questions was already answered on some topic, please forgive me to have replied to this topic. I have try to found same topic here, but without results.

thank you and Best regards.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2018 at 3:39 AM, marousi said:

I did not intend to be rude. It is just that my level of trust in the crypto space can be low.

I wonder if you've read all the code you currently trust with your Ripple secret/mnemonic. For example -- I'm guessing you have a Ledger -- do you know what is in each of the firmwares running on it right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, idereffets said:

@xrptipbot and @Hodor. First of all, thank you for your contributions. I have one question about the security of my wallet.

i have a wallet in and only in Bitstamp.

1.is it enough secure to have there? and,      2.if not, what I can do to secure it from thround or stealing etc..?

If that questions was already answered on some topic, please forgive me to have replied to this topic. I have try to found same topic here, but without results.

thank you and Best regards.

 

The following pages from the new members area https://www.xrpchat.com/forum/41-tutorials/ may assist you idereffets

Edited by Jannercobbler
Link to post
Share on other sites

My main gripe with the Ledger Nano S is that I do not know my own secret key. I want to protect it from my computer and the internet. I do not want to protect it from myself. If there is a software glitch and my Ledger app no longer matches my 24 word mnemonic to my correct secret key, I will forever lose access to my wallet. Something like this HAS happened, to multiple people on Reddit as far as I can tell, though there is some argument as to whether it was user error. Regardless, it freaks me out.

I really want to use my Ledger Nano S, but I want to have my secret key written down somewhere in case their software forgets my pairing somehow...

Maybe I am confused... Not sure if this tool could provide a solution.

When you arrange posts by top voted all time on the r/ledgerwallet subreddit you will see many people having different issues. I'm sure many are user error, but when looking at the comments it really does look like there has been some sloppy coding causing some problems. That is why my Ledger Nano S is still not activated. I'm paranoid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/7rd798/should_we_be_concerned_about_the_ledger/

Edited by Trader-to-the-Crown
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LatentNewb said:

This will allow me to add a Trustline to get the Allvor crypto, correct?  I ask because I have followed the instructions as provided.  When I go to add a Trustline I don't see an option.  I don't see that option on my Android when I click Trustlines.

Yes :) If you have the most recent version of Toast Wallet you can add a trust line by going to your account, to the "Address" tab and click "Add Trustline"

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, idereffets said:

@xrptipbot and @Hodor. First of all, thank you for your contributions. I have one question about the security of my wallet.

i have a wallet in and only in Bitstamp.

1.is it enough secure to have there?

I think Bitstamp is trustworthy but if they one get hacked / close down, whatever, you don't have your funds in your own control. I'd suggest a paper wallet generated offline on a safe computer. Nice tool by @Warblerhttps://bithomp.com/ripple-tools/

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trader-to-the-Crown said:

My main gripe with the Ledger Nano S is that I do not know my own secret key. I want to protect it from my computer and the internet. I do not want to protect it from myself. If there is a software glitch and my Ledger app no longer matches my 24 word mnemonic to my correct secret key, I will forever lose access to my wallet. Something like this HAS happened, to multiple people on Reddit as far as I can tell, though there is some argument as to whether it was user error. Regardless, it freaks me out.

I really want to use my Ledger Nano S, but I want to have my secret key written down somewhere in case their software forgets my pairing somehow...

Maybe I am confused... Not sure if this tool could provide a solution.

When you arrange posts by top voted all time on the r/ledgerwallet subreddit you will see many people having different issues. I'm sure many are user error, but when looking at the comments it really does look like there has been some sloppy coding causing some problems. That is why my Ledger Nano S is still not activated. I'm paranoid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/7rd798/should_we_be_concerned_about_the_ledger/

The algorithm to go from the mnemonic to the keypair is known, so if all Ledgers stop working you can still create and sign a transaction with a software tool :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 6:25 AM, xrptipbot said:

Yes :) If you have the most recent version of Toast Wallet you can add a trust line by going to your account, to the "Address" tab and click "Add Trustline"

Thanks.   Yep, I missed it the first 10 times I've looked.  I've got my ALV.   And if I remember right that trustline came be removed at any time with no ill effects, correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LatentNewb said:

Thanks.   Yep, I missed it the first 10 times I've looked.  I've got my ALV.   And if I remember right that trustline came be removed at any time with no ill effects, correct?

Yeah, if you claimed your ALV and sent/sold it, you can remove the Trust Line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.