Jump to content

SBI VC: 1 week planned maintenance. Are they going to open?


Dario_o
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ripplista79 said:

June 1st  ???

Yeah I think this is a good sign. When a site is under maintenance for that long, it usually indicates extensive final system testing using production environment to make sure that it can withstand a heavy load.

I feel like they are patching up the final details before the launch.

Also keep in mind that in Japan,  June is usually considered the beginning of summer.

Edited by liquidcymbal
details
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, youngm said:

Just finished watching Moana with my four year old boy, and five year old girl.  Trying to explain “mean” is really difficult at this age!  Sorry for sidetracking

Enjoying time with the kids is the best thing in the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, youngm said:

Just finished watching Moana with my four year old boy, and five year old girl.  Trying to explain “mean” is really difficult at this age!  Sorry for sidetracking

I was watching this with my GF’s daughter earlier. Lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, princesultan said:

Even if sbi went live June 1, I have a feeling price wouldn’t even move given the market we’re in. 

I think it would!  Nothing is moving XRP in the market because the market itself is incredibly young.  SBI would help it mature (and quite quickly in my opinion).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, youngm said:

I think it would!  Nothing is moving XRP in the market because the market itself is incredibly young.  SBI would help it mature (and quite quickly in my opinion).

A few points of note here, and I could be wrong. But having done business with Japan(ese) in the past, I would offer the following.

1. Punctuality. I cannot stress how much this means in Japan. If the CEO of SBI says 'we will be live by summer', it will literally mean the day of the turn of the season. I have no doubt that they are working nearly 24-7 to achieve this by Friday. The big question is, is this a routine maintenance, or is it XRapid going live?

2. Price. Sadly, based on the current sentiment of the market, I don't think this is going to provide the moonshot we are hoping for. We can hope all we want, but globally, it appears that no one is really into crypto across the board at the moment. This is all subject to change of course, and I have no doubt we will see bullish sentiment again in the next few months, but please temper your expectations, and don't go throwing a lot of fiat you possibly can't afford to lose into XRP this week expecting a miracle. 

A safe pessimistic view is to expect that we might see a 10-15% rise IF SBI goes live Friday with a gradual retracement back to support levels ala the last five months.

Edited by Ironhalo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ironhalo I really like your first point. Did SBI hold off on launch because rippled wasn’t finished? (Just rambling)

I’m not grasping for straws anymore honestly, but for SBI to prolong this exchange for so long... is odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DarkInvite said:

@Ironhalo I really like your first point. Did SBI hold off on launch because rippled wasn’t finished? (Just rambling)

I’m not grasping for straws anymore honestly, but for SBI to prolong this exchange for so long... is odd.

@DarkInvite I would imagine that it is because the Japanese way is to be spot on when it comes to dates and promises. In the West, we might say 'we hope to have this available early-June.' That sort of vagueness is completely abhorent in Japan. You're talking about a place where a rail company made a NATIONAL APOLOGY for one train leaving TWENTY SECONDS EARLY, and disrupting passenger's expectations. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/17/japanese-rail-company-apologises-train-20-seconds-early

We'd laugh at this in the West, but that is the culture we are dealing with. For the CEO of SBI to state 'we will be live in summer' and not have it running by 1st of June would represent a distinct loss of face in Japan. A longer maintenance time dedicated to another Japanese trait; perfection of an endeavour, is preferable to a failed promise. I would imagine that they want this time to make sure whatever they have planned is working without error, and you can bet that the CEO himself is keeping a very close rein on the progress.

Edited by Ironhalo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ironhalo said:

@DarkInvite I would imagine that it is because the Japanese way is to be spot on when it comes to dates and promises. In the West, we might say 'we hope to have this available early-June.' That sort of vagueness is completely abhorent in Japan. You're talking about a place where a rail company made a NATIONAL APOLOGY for one train leaving TWENTY SECONDS EARLY, and disrupting passenger's expectations. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/17/japanese-rail-company-apologises-train-20-seconds-early

We'd laugh at this in the West, but that is the culture we are dealing with. For the CEO of SBI to state 'we will be live in summer' and not have it running by 1st of June would represent a distinct loss of face in Japan. A longer maintenance time dedicated to another Japanese trait; perfection of an endeavour, is preferable to a failed promise. I would imagine that they want this time to make sure whatever they have planned is working without error, and you can bet that the CEO himself is keeping a very close rein on the progress.

Wonderful insight.

As a westerner I’m very used to being let down on launch dates. 

That spices things up a bit for me.

still, when SBI had set a date for the end of February, and never came to fruition. It changes my opinion, thoughts?

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, liquidcymbal said:

Yeah I think this is a good sign. When a site is under maintenance for that long, it usually indicates extensive final system testing using production environment to make sure that it can withstand a heavy load.

Not necessarily. Having seen the way the increasingly incompetent/sloppy tech wind has blown over the past decade it could be marketing trying to decide on a typeface change and developers needing a week to repeatedly rebuild live containers for every iteration on kerning adjustment. My StackOverflow irritation may be bleeding into this board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ironhalo said:

We'd laugh at this in the West, but that is the culture we are dealing with. For the CEO of SBI to state 'we will be live in summer' and not have it running by 1st of June would represent a distinct loss of face in Japan. 

While I do agree that Japanese are very punctual in general, I must say SBI is far from it. In fact, they should have been live 8-10 months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they delay the official opening for the winter. I would be absolutely shocked if they open by 1st of June to be quite frank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.