nicktemple

Ashton Kutcher and ripple donates 4 million on the elen show.

24 minutes ago, Blockchained said:

If it’s about publicity we could get an ad in the Super Bowl for about the same price . 

Not six minutes of ad, no you can't.  And not in May 2018.

30 seconds in February 2019 is just too little too late. 

If not for this chat room here I would have never heard about it because I don’t watch Ellen  and I live right here in the USA .

Now let me say that I traveled around the world once or twice and The Ellen Degenes show is as popular as the chin chong show .

Let's just say you were not the target audience. Just because you don't watch Ellen doesn't mean others don't. They clearly do. Do you remember the Oscar picture tweet she sent out that broke the internet? I guess probably not. 

4 hours ago, Blockchained said:

If not for this chat room here I would have never heard about it because I don’t watch Ellen  and I live right here in the USA .

Now let me say that I traveled around the world once or twice and The Ellen Degenes show is as popular as the chin chong show .

I'm a middle age Australian male and I often watch Ellen. I think this is a lot of bang for 4 million bucks. 

12 hours ago, mm34505 said:

Wonder if Bard or Chris will show face? Gotta tune in to find out!

image.png.ef8270b2e0acd7a5e8d9d45fce2050e1.png

So I'm in the UK... What happened in the second section... Did a ripple rep rock up?

59 minutes ago, SlyCooper said:

It’s an audience of stay at home mums who don’t know what investing is. Good luck with this trash publicity

yeah...ignore the flow on effect

20 hours ago, OzAlphaWolf said:

I seriously doubt Santander have spent years working on this app to just use a slightly modified out-of-the-box skin.

Firstly, its really nice to disagree with someone without it immediately degrading into useless nonsense - thank you.

As for the app - I doubt Santander spent years developing it (though its possible if they have an extremely incompetent software department, which uhh... can certainly happen).  A lone developer could code up such an app in a week or less, it only has a few screens and only does a handful of very common iOS-app things.  iOS development (and most development in general) is really not that hard for an app like this.  The pieces required all pre-exist.  The revolutionary part happens at the Ripple end - and this app just sends a message to that part saying "hey can you do some of your XYZ Ripple magic please?".  

What this app does is the same things many apps do these days, verify a user, access a database, take input from the user and send off some JSON based on that input (that's the magic message).  Santander already has a working iOS API into their banking system / database for verifying a user and processing transactions (and affecting other states), because they already have a banking app.  Ripple's part is to sell Santander their custom API into their RippleNet & XRP Ledger.  All that's needed to build the final app is a few screens to be set up in the (horrible) iOS development environment supplied by Apple (Interface Builder & Xcode), and the basic logic within that app to route the various requests where they need to go.  The time-consuming part would be testing everything and catching all the edge-case error that the various DB's and networks involved throw up afterwards when things go wrong or take to long (timeouts).

This last part will be exactly why Santander tested the app for so many months with their employees, but its very likely the app will have been mostly complete at the beginning of that process - and as I say - most likely supplied by Ripple as a template / boilerplate code.  One major reason for that is that Ripple will have had to initially develop exactly that code for their own internal testing and for demonstrating to interested customers - it would make no sense to then arbitrarily withhold that code and force every bank to come up with it from scratch again.  For one, all of the banks would be constantly asking Ripple "so how did you implement this bit with the sending the magic message to your thingy, could we maybe see the code from that demo you showed us?".

(As for the Reisebank transfer, whilst the sections are arranged differently (and IMO confusingly), the very specific font and styling choices for the currency values, the titles of the different sections, and the same styling of an inverse block of colour with white text heading the payment screen all exactly match those in the Ellen/Santander version, hence my thinking its an earlier version of the same product, that was rearranged to make it clearer to the user what's happening.)

Lets face it, some people follow celebrities like they’re gods. Im guessing the people that love kutcher are at least researching ripple and xrp, which can only be a good thing. Publicity is publicity. Im happy with it 😀

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Professor Hantzen said:

Firstly, its really nice to disagree with someone without it immediately degrading into useless nonsense - thank you.

No worries. I appreciate and understand your point of view. But I remain convinced that this is OnePay FX.

For starters, the app was initially announced in 2016 and was expected to go live that year. Nearly two years passed before it was officially released to customers. If it was a simple process, why did they take so long? And why didn't someone else beat them to it given their intentions were public? If Ripple had basically done all the hard work and it was only essentially a few connections needing to be made and a GUI polished up, a competitor should have tried to front run them. 

Second, banks are very careful about their branding. Regardless of how simple an app GUI might be, it's going to reflect the bank image and it presents the customer with their brand. I don't find it convincing that Santander has spent all this time developing and live testing this app with their staff to simply release it with a dev supplied skin and look. This is a major product release to position themselves in an important market space. 

Edited by OzAlphaWolf

31 minutes ago, OzAlphaWolf said:

No worries. I appreciate and understand your point of view. But I remain convinced that this is OnePay FX.

Yeah, I can see your point of view too, and it makes sense.  I guess we may never be sure what happened, though there may be clues when we see another product from a competitor, or from Ripple themselves. I suspect we may see this similar interface cropping up again as I believe that aspect is part of what is being offered by Ripple as an end-solution to banks.

What would be interesting is if another bank came forward with a Ripple back-end integrated with their pre-existing front-end - eg, their current mobile app for regular banking with a seamless Ripple integration for payments.  That would likely be a bit more difficult to do and suggest more confidence in the tech than a completely separate secondary app as Santander did (which is arguably a confusing way to go about things for their customers, unless it was also the easiest way due to implementing a pre-existing turn-key solution).

Wow friends and family saw this on the news channels in Holland and were wondering if this Ripple is the same as in which I am interested. Major impact indeed. Www.nu.nl is a news website which is looked by millions of people a week in The Netherlands so exposure is much bigger now. Finally

https://www.nu.nl/236957/video/ellen-ontroerd-na-grote-donatie-ashton-kutcher-voor-haar-natuurfonds.html