Greeny

$5 not happening this year

I see article after article saying that 2018 will be another 2017 for cryptos, XRP to hit 5-10 dollars, BTC to hit 50k, ETH to hit 15k.  All by end of year.  As we near the halfway point, we should be much higher for those numbers to have any chance of coming true.  Do not get me wrong, I believe in the future of crypto, just not in 2018.  Thoughts.

1 minute ago, Greeny said:

I see article after article saying that 2018 will be another 2017 for cryptos, XRP to hit 5-10 dollars, BTC to hit 50k, ETH to hit 15k.  All by end of year.  As we near the halfway point, we should be much higher for those numbers to have any chance of coming true.  Do not get me wrong, I believe in the future of crypto, just not in 2018.  Thoughts.

As time goes by this year, I’m inclined to agree.  I’ve put my investment on a set-and-forget for a while.  I’ll follow developments but my expectations for the next 6-12 months are very low.  Ripple continues to make progress but the market itself isn’t reacting well and I don’t see that changing significantly any time soon.  Whatever...I’m in it for a long term investment anyway and things take time to play themselves out.

*Cue the obligatory ‘what, do you expect it to hit $100 overnight?!?!  Just sell!’ posts that any expressions of short term pessimism about market usually receive.

I think all these high predictions come from the whales trying to manipulate the market.  Truth is BTC will never reach that high.  

The little people are getting screwed left right and centre.    I guess we don't need to go to jail to experience it. This saves big daddy bang the trouble in cell 589.     

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zerpdigger said:

jesus christ, last year we saw many thousand % point gains in a few months, but somehow, for no stated reason at all... this year, that's totally impossible!

#amazinglogic

This, nobody can say for sure.  When crypto spikes, it effing spikes like none other.  It could also stagnate for a couple years.  

Question is.....is the speculative era over?  If not, we could repeat the past decade in terms of results.  If it is, I'm still not worried, because institutional money hasn't even begun to flow in, and we're hodling the coin with by far the most utility......that part isn't even close.

I think the entire market will boom up, with or without XRP decoupling in the next 6-12 months.  It will only be after the institutional bubble that the shitcoins will all die off, and that could be several years ahead.  Even if XRP goes live big time this year, I still expect institutional money to boost up BTC, ETH, LTC, and their ilk in the short term horizon.  I wouldn't touch those coins with a 10ft pole, but that is still my prediction.

Edited by mrhat75

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Greeny said:

As we near the halfway point, we should be much higher for those numbers to have any chance of coming true.

You've been here longer than I have so surprised to see you say this?  You saw what happend in two weeks last year right?  Just five months ago (which seems like five years ago).  There was nothing slow and steady, incremental, up to the right about it.  Sudden shock.  And more will be available.  Regulation won't stop that.  It may exacerbate it possibly with the size of the fish in the pond later in the year.  But to your point nobody knows.  We'll see!!

Let's put it this way I hope there is never another "consensus" week again.  So much hype, so much bluster, and so much good news, and we're tubing.  Can't wait for this week to be a distant memory, and get back to the mild mannered, weekly, boring, grinding this out thing.

Edited by xrphilosophy
sp.

11 minutes ago, Greeny said:

Definitely possible, and then some.  Multiple significant developments (xrp and crypto in general) all seem to be coming to a head this summer, so I suspect that the crypto world in six months from now is going to be quite different than it is today.

It is tough sometimes, but patience is key. There were many months last year where the price of XRP was around 15 to 25 cents, and then boom it happened. I expect another boom this year, and I believe it will be even bigger. Those poeple you speak of giving price predictions are big time players that are seeing things that we can't even imagine with the institutional money that is gearing up to come into the market. When Dan Morehead of Pantera capital speaks about price predictions...I listen. Hold strong.

Every news release, update,  etc that was anticipated to influence the price postively has failed to have any impact. And there has been lots...

XRP is currently down over 82% since its ATH. Of the top 20 coins, only NEM is fairing worse at 84%. So since the bull market, we are no 19 of the top 20 coins in terms of recovery. And this is at a time when Ripple are supposedly making huge progress. That means either we are severly undervalued, or their is something fishy going on. I dont believe its because of "an irrational market".

I think it's time Ripple address this and release information on recent partnerships etc. The very fact that they are witholding this information, while knowing it can influence price, is why many have sold off their xrp, and where the "centralized" arguments come from. 

22 minutes ago, Greeny said:

Where were you last year from Jan-Oct? 

No one can predict what will happen, but for BTC the gains primarily come on 10 days out of the year.  10/365 = 2.7% of the time.

If the 10 best days are factored out, returns on BTC average -25% per year.  I suspect the same is true for most other cryptos considering how everything seems to move together.