MundoXRP

Former AOL Exec Named Ripple CEO as Chris Larsen Steps Down

84 posts in this topic

Hi TomXs...

As I said, I do not know of Garlinghouse. Ripple has positioned the transition as an AOL exec taking over the ship. I understand that Garlinghouse joined Ripple in 2016 Spring so this has been planned. Ripple could have said that they were promoting from within and the optics would have made sense.

But AOL or Yahoo... I struggle to be gracious...

Startup founders who are driven by passion and conviction will push themselves past their breaking point. Even though there is still a lot of hard work and uncertainty ahead, Ripple has reached unparalleled success in the fintech industry. I think it takes a great deal of insight and self-awareness to make a decision to step down. Chris Larsen wouldn't have handed the reigns over to just anybody.  There is no way a person would practically kill themselves building a successful startup and then loosely hand it over to the guy standing closest. 

Congrats to Brad Garlinghouse on his new role!

Well now that its a bit less of a conflict Chris is more than welcome to come kick it with us fanboys here whenever he wants!

Good idea!  I'll ask.

MikeF, thunderw, RedDragon and 1 other like this

I got a t-shirt a while back for moderating the official forum. Still proudly wearing it from time to time and one day I'll manage to actually get to the US and visit them. :)

Haydentiff likes this

18 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

We started looking for a COO to allow Chris to focus more on outside-facing aspects of Ripple. Over time, Brad took over most of Chris' responsibilities for the day-to-day operations of the company. This move formalizes a shift that had pretty much already taken place. They are both amazing leaders and this has been an awesome journey.

Thanks for sharing your view on this. I was looking specifically for your comments here.

Chris, thank you. I loved to see many of your virtues in action. Ripple would not be here without you!

Brad looks like a sports guy. I am sure he will lead Ripple with a lot of enthusiasm and a full bag of new energy. Good luck Brad!

MikeF likes this

For me Chris has always been the Steve Jobs of Fintech. The world definitely has a lack of visionary people (that deliver!) like him. Thanks a lot for those years of hard work. The good thing is that he's still around & pushing Ripple -together with all those other bright minds at the company- to the next level.

"It must be realized that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more uncertain of success, or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of (things); for he who introduces (change) makes enemies of all those who derived advantage from the old order and finds but lukewarm defenders among those who stand to gain from the new one." -Machiavelli, The Prince

Thank you, Chris, for seeing Open Coin/Ripple Labs/Ripple past the "lukewarm defenders" stage of building the Value Web. 

MikeF, Haydentiff and seve7ete like this

Sometimes moves like this can be difficult to interpret. But one of Chris's goals has always been to land the top 50 Banks worldwide into Ripple's pool. They have 15, so this change may very well be what's needed to make that happen. It's hard to split attention between strategic sales and vision and the tactical aspects. We'll see how this plays out. 

3 hours ago, Max Entropy said:

But AOL or Yahoo... I struggle to be gracious...

I had the same reaction.  But he's been at Ripple for a little while, so the people are RL know him and decided he was the right person to lead the company in its next phase. Let's hope they are right.

And while I'd never criticize anyone for wanting to spend more time with their family, it sounds like a terrible excuse.  "I'm stepping down to spend more time with my family" is the kind of thing politicians say after they've been caught with a dead hooker in the trunk of their car.