VaR

How many people actually own cryptocurrency?

image.thumb.png.ca6e15d65efa524e74a2636ffc6d2d59.pngimage.thumb.png.9a1dd144ec250f37d20adc3362548398.pngimage.thumb.png.e54b47e7b43f29b2af734d2550e1280a.png

I've found the report pretty relevant because the sample size is almost 30k, a number high enough for the results to be reliable.

As expected Korea and Japan are the countries more aware of crypto, SBI going with Ripple and XRP can be a turning point.

Crypto and stocks may not be comparable but approx. a 50% of people in the US own stocks. I haven't found other countries rates but having the US a great tradition in investing I guess it will be similar or less.

There's still plenty of room for growth!

https://medium.com/daliaresearch/how-many-people-actually-own-cryptocurrency-4ff460301520

That first statistic cant be true hard to imagine really is - like not even 3% the people i know own cryptos as the first phrase implies it was an online research this can not really be speaking for the entire population of a country.

Edited by Sarnos

9 minutes ago, Hodor said:

• 50% of people in the US own stocks
  • 9% of people in the US own crypto

:wink:

And the 9% is based on internet connected respondents, so basically young people that are more likely to know cryptos. Probably the real percentage is around 5%.

18 minutes ago, Sarnos said:

That first statistic cant be true hard to imagine really is - like not even 3% the people i know own cryptos as the first phrase implies it was an online research this can not really be speaking for the entire population of a country.

11 minutes ago, tulo said:

And the 9% is based on internet connected respondents, so basically young people that are more likely to know cryptos. Probably the real percentage is around 5%.

Even assuming the methodology could have flaws, the numbers are very low. A 9% in US... and a 6% in Korea!! with all the craziness there was a few months ago.

What we can conclude is these are early days.

I agree that the 9% number for the U.S. has to be inflated. Just a small representation, but only around 2% of my tax clients are invested in crypto, and they are a diverse, well-educated group.

When you factor that 50% vs 9% number also take into consideration the total amount of capital invested on each side of the fence.  That 50% of stock ownership is almost certainly driven through 401k-like investment vehicles vs digital assets which has no such comparison (yet).  We are so early on the real money in this entire segment compared to traditional stock investments.  I think 2018 will continue to be the year of regulation and utility value for digital assets, but 2019 is probably going to be the year of basket investment opportunities with diversified fund access being offered as a new product.  Those 401k providers like Fidelity would love to snag even more millennial cash and they'll probably do it with a digital asset offering in the near future. 

The odd bit which stands out to me is the awareness versus ownership percentage in South Korea.

5 minutes ago, Zedy44 said:

When you factor that 50% vs 9% number also take into consideration the total amount of capital invested on each side of the fence.  That 50% of stock ownership is almost certainly driven through 401k-like investment vehicles vs digital assets which has no such comparison (yet).  We are so early on the real money in this entire segment compared to traditional stock investments.  I think 2018 will continue to be the year of regulation and utility value for digital assets, but 2019 is probably going to be the year of basket investment opportunities with diversified fund access being offered as a new product.  Those 401k providers like Fidelity would love to snag even more millennial cash and they'll probably do it with a digital asset offering in the near future. 

That's the key, assuming a 9% is accurate, look at the immense growth we've had. Once regulation is in place, all kind of funds taking positions and Ripple and XRP being the next big thing... $50, $100 or even much more don't seem ilogical prices at all.

avg 7% !?

A quick survey around me and I have lots of active investors friends...more like 1-2% own cryptos, 90-95% heard about it, 3-5% understand what's going on.

In fact, once they understand, they usually jump in.

ppfftt...talk about a biased result and graph

what about us aussies

We may be the at arse end of the planet but remember... if ya dont ***** ya die ??

But quite an eye-opener the results. ?

Edited by fiik

Well, it says that the  results are based on a survey of “Internet connected respondents.“ But we don’t really know what the other selection factors were… For example, what websites were used to recruit survey respondents? They could be websites that are frequented by people more familiar with crypto currency… Thus creating a bias in the research. So we really don’t know whether or not this particular group of respondents is truly representative of the general population, although I doubt this is the case.

Well avg 7% own crypto from people who use internet and make surveys :D .

I own crypto and I use internet but I hate surveys!!!

People who use internet  are under 50% of the world population https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users.

The question is how many people make surveys percentage wise? I know they use statistics and they apply the small number to the masses, usually they survey over 10k people and what its for 10k its for 1mil!!! Well I will disagree because they you these methods for things that all know or heard about like sex,food,politics,violence and so on!

So the real fact that should be taken into account is that there are 28mil crypto accounts total! How much is that from the total world population?

I will tell you.......this is exactly 0.36683692889586% or 0.36% from the world population!!!

So this research it TOTAL ********!!!!!

Edited by BAX

2 hours ago, Hodor said:
  • 50% of people in the US own stocks
  • 9% of people in the US own crypto

Early enough for me.  Accumulate abundance and HODL...

May need a harness for when XRP takes off