As always a nice blog, thanks @Hodor.

What is your guys' view on the worldwide interpretation of the symbol X? From what I have read it has a ton of both positive and negative associations. As some may interpret it as not very inviting, it makes me a bit worrisome to use a symbol that puts such a strong focus on the X. 

Furthermore, a smooth incorporation of the R and P in the symbol could perhaps help with getting the distinction between XRP and the X-products of Ripple more clear.

19 minutes ago, timo92 said:

As always a nice blog, thanks @Hodor.

What is your guys' view on the worldwide interpretation of the symbol X? From what I have read it has a ton of both positive and negative associations. As some may interpret it as not very inviting, it makes me a bit worrisome to use a symbol that puts such a strong focus on the X. 

Furthermore, a smooth incorporation of the R and P in the symbol could perhaps help with getting the distinction between XRP and the X-products of Ripple more clear.

Here's the background behind why there *should* be an X as the first letter (note that the Bitcoin community doesn't seem to care about calling BTC XBT like they should):

https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-letters-XRP-stand-for-or-why-does-Ripple-Labs-call-it-XRP

Three-letter currency codes are formed by appending a single character to the two-letter country code of the issuing country. Since the United States’ country code is “US”, US dollars have the currency code “USD”. Some non-countries still have country codes. The EU has the country code “EU”, so the currency code for Euros is “EUR”.

Of course, XRP is not issued by any country. For assets not issued by any country, the first letter must be X. No country codes starting with X will be issue. So, for example, since the chemical symbol for gold is Au, gold’s currency code is XAU.

Some people use “BTC” for bitcoin, but people who care about standards use “XBT”. XRP’s first letter is X because XRP is not issued by any country.

In the early days, we called the ledger’s native asset “ripples”. So the natural currency code to choose was “XRP”. I don’t think anybody calls them “ripples” any more, but I have heard “zerps”.

This blog is starting to give me the fear. Hodor sounds like a fanatical religious follower more than a level headed financial blogger. Why do "we" hope for this or that symbol? "We" want a return for our investment not some commune in the woods where we make Ripple logos out of macaroni and bow down before Brad Garlinghouse statues. I would much prefer cold fact and speculation on the coming week from someone with a better grasp of the circumstances than I do. I am not at all interested in where Ripple came from or which board member fell out with another. That is completely irrelevant.

@Hodor you know your stuff, that much is clear. I don't mean to offend but can you give us some short term predictions or at least some analysis for the coming days? These long fanboy essays aren't cutting it for me at least. I am not one for Kool Aid, I am in this for cash and cash alone. You're knowledge and ability are not well served by this stuff IMHO.

6 minutes ago, XRPRJB said:

This blog is starting to give me the fear. Hodor sounds like a fanatical religious follower more than a level headed financial blogger. Why do "we" hope for this or that symbol? "We" want a return for our investment not some commune in the woods where we make Ripple logos out of macaroni and bow down before Brad Garlinghouse statues. I would much prefer cold fact and speculation on the coming week from someone with a better grasp of the circumstances than I do. I am not at all interested in where Ripple came from or which board member fell out with another. That is completely irrelevant.

@Hodor you know your stuff, that much is clear. I don't mean to offend but can you give us some short term predictions or at least some analysis for the coming days? These long fanboy essays aren't cutting it for me at least. I am not one for Kool Aid, I am in this for cash and cash alone. You're knowledge and ability are not well served by this stuff IMHO.

In Hodor's defense, I don't think he calls himself a financial blogger. It's literally called Hodor's XRP Blog....

13 minutes ago, XRPRJB said:

You insult him and then ask for a price prediction.  Not cool.

16 minutes ago, XRPRJB said:

@Hodor offers a great deal of research which others can use as part of their own fundamental analysis & due diligence.  He is not responsible for your investment - DYOR.  What do you bring to the conversation?

40 minutes ago, Hodor said:

Here's the background behind why there *should* be an X as the first letter (note that the Bitcoin community doesn't seem to care about calling BTC XBT like they should):

https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-letters-XRP-stand-for-or-why-does-Ripple-Labs-call-it-XRP

Thanks for the reply. I am not proposing to get rid of the X but instead incorporate the R and P as well. By using only a clear X as a symbol it might not look very welcoming, seen from a global perspective. It might also contribute to the existing confusion between the independent XRP digital asset and the X-products of Ripple. Just my take on it, looking at the psychological influence symbols can have. Curious about all your opinions

Edited by timo92

1 minute ago, Oisks said:

XRPRJB...

Why so rude? Unnecessary. Hodor writes with wisdom, knowledge and great insight. The fact he doesn't merely pander to your desire for "cash and cash alone" does him justice. Your hectoring tone doesn't serve you well...

I'm not trying to be rude. 100% not my intention.

However this is not a Ripple fan site or it shouldn't be anyway. We need people with insight such as @Hodor to use that knowledge dispassionately. This is finance. I would rather see facts than space filler.

Should perhaps add a couple of definitional clarifications on "symbol" vs "logo";  many of the things I've seen submitted are multi-colored, impossible-to-write "logos" (rather than just symbols which lend themselves to easy ISO characterization, whether in ink, print, type, printed type, etc).  What are we after, exactly?  Refine the question by defining the terminology.

2 minutes ago, PG1 said:

@Hodor offers a great deal of research which others can use as part of their own fundamental analysis & due diligence.  He is not responsible for your investment - DYOR.  What do you bring to the conversation?

Didn't say he was.

Pointless post that.