Codius vs. Ethereum? A Programmer's Perspective

Ripple knew communication between different ledgers and a robust payment network would be a prerequisite to smart contracts... Hence they (temporarily) pivoted away from Codius to develop Interledger.

Ripple staff have spoken openly about Codius being shelved in order to develop ILP, but Codius still being a necessary component of their long-term vision.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:19 PM, woytow said:

Ripple knew communication between different ledgers and a robust payment network would be a prerequisite to smart contracts... Hence they (temporarily) pivoted away from Codius to develop Interledger.

Ripple staff have spoken openly about Codius being shelved in order to develop ILP, but Codius still being a necessary component of their long-term vision.

That's interesting, I remember at they time they said that they felt Ethereum was enough, and they could not do smart contracts better, so weren't going to bother. They must  have had some serious demand for them from enterprise since then i guess.

A few clarifications:

• It's Ripple and not Ripple Labs anymore
  • The transactions won't be registered on XRPL probably
  • How codius will keep the secret is not clear yet and I think the technology is not ready yet (we are not sure it will be able to do so)
  • JS is great but for sure has not fast run speed if you compare to java or c++. And we see how ethereum struggles with the performances even if they build solidity for that purpose. 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:56 PM, Trader-to-the-Crown said:

It has been resumed and is near being specificallymade for use with the Interledger.

thats cool, I always thought it was foolish to drop it, I'll do some reading, assuming they will be non-turing complete?

4 hours ago, Robbieboy said:

thats cool, I always thought it was foolish to drop it, I'll do some reading, assuming they will be non-turing complete?

From a comment on Reddit, you'll see the bit about it being Turing complete a bit of a way down, these tweets are from May 1st, 2018:

Here is a conversation David Schwartz was having on Twitter a couple days ago and he is speaking as if Codius is still very relevant:

https://twitter.com/JoelKatz/status/991375966231445504

Here are some of David Schwartz' ( @JoelKatz ) replies:

____

"Another biggest difference, perhaps one of the most important, is that Codius can keep secrets while Ethereum can't. That means Codius can, for example, control a bitcoin wallet while an Ethereum smart contract can't."

____

"Codius can support general purpose languages like Javascript, so it's Turing complete. It doesn't force any particularly programming paradigm at all, so you can pick one that has appropriate security. 1/2"

____

"In a sense, Codius is awesome because it allows you complete flexibility. But also most of the implementation doesn't exist yet. So you can implement a very security environment, more secure than Ethereum currently, but you have to actually do it! 2/2"

____

"It would work. You could use Codius itself as the ledger and you could also gateway to other platforms such as the XRP Ledger and ERC20 if you wanted. You could have a coin that existed natively on multiple ledgers."

____

Edited by Trader-to-the-Crown

hmm thats an interesting direction, and not one i'd have seen them choosing, if it's turing complete and if it is able to use javascript and other languages, then we'd see hacks on a scale much higher than with ethereum, which wouldn't really be good for the derivatives crowd. Unless they plan on keeping the thing non-public and centralized.

23 minutes ago, Robbieboy said:

hmm thats an interesting direction, and not one i'd have seen them choosing

What's your solution? 

On 5/5/2018 at 11:31 PM, fToRrEeEsSt said:

What's your solution? 

non turing complete, self contained easy to build and execute via building blocks, and aimed at the target market, should be sufficient and more secure than an ethereum jack of all trades approach

2 minutes ago, Robbieboy said:

non turing complete, self contained easy to build and execute via building blocks, and aimed at the target market

Who is using this system at the moment?